Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Suggestions for tabletop systems?  (Read 1437 times)

Squeegy

• Bay Watcher
  • I don't really have any answers for you.
    • View Profile
Suggestions for tabletop systems?
« on: December 23, 2012, 09:51:20 pm »

What's a good system to run an action-oriented sci-fi game in? I've considered GURPS, but it seems a bit... aimless. Jack of all trades, master of none, and all that. Are there any other systems more specifically devoted to general sci-fi games?
I think I'm an alright guy. I just wanna live until I gotta die. I know I'm not perfect, but God knows I try.
Kobold Name Generator
⚔Dueling Blades⚔
Fertile Lands
The Emerald Isles

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
Re: Suggestions for tabletop systems?
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2012, 09:59:53 pm »

Traveller, Paranoia, Shadowrun, d20 Modern...what kind of sci-fi?
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Squeegy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2012, 10:25:40 pm »

Reasonably light. I'm looking for something with no established setting because I plan on using my own, btw.
I think I'm an alright guy. I just wanna live until I gotta die. I know I'm not perfect, but God knows I try.
Kobold Name Generator
⚔Dueling Blades⚔
Fertile Lands
The Emerald Isles

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2012, 10:39:43 pm »

Reasonably light. I'm looking for something with no established setting because I plan on using my own, btw.
Well, pretty much any system can be repurposed.
Although I don't know, I don't think d20 Modern has a preset setting. It's also the only game mentioned in the thread so far I haven't ever played/read the rulebooks for, though...
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

scapheap

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a good guy...girl. My horse just eat souls.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2012, 05:54:09 am »

d20 Modern is surprising bad for sci-fi settings, it more for, surprise, modern times.
You were planning to have a 15 year old magical girl kill Witches by drinking them under the table!? It's original, at least.
Morpheus, a magic girls game

EagleV

• Bay Watcher
  • Oblivisci tempta quod didicisti
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2012, 08:16:29 am »

Paranoia is great, if you don't mind a short campaign and don't want this to be a serious game. If you do, I've heard good things about Shadowrun. Also I've had some fun with FATE although I'm not sure how it would translate to a sci-fi setting. It's supposed to be completely customizable though.
Quote from: Robert Donoghue and Fred Hicks
There are three things you must learn if you wish to defeat me, my young pupil. First, you must look within yourself and find your core of strength. Second, your mind and body must be in perfect unison. Third...
*WHACK*
Third, stop listening when you should be fighting.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2012, 10:32:07 am »

As is GURPS, if I understand what you mean by "customisable."

I've considered GURPS, but it seems a bit... aimless. Jack of all trades, master of none, and all that.

How would FATE be different?
Sig

Squeegy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2012, 04:44:55 pm »

d20 Modern is surprising bad for sci-fi settings, it more for, surprise, modern times.

That's fine, like I said, the sci-fi is reasonably light. Most of the important stuff is modern.
Kobold Name Generator
⚔Dueling Blades⚔
Fertile Lands
The Emerald Isles

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2012, 05:34:42 pm »

I've considered GURPS, but it seems a bit... aimless. Jack of all trades, master of none, and all that.

How would FATE be different?

FATE is very abstract and modular. GURPS is a massive set of rules for modeling a game world (rather than a narrative). FATE is a tookit to be removed and added onto, GURPS has enough content that it can run a complete game in just about any setting with a little tweaking. FATE has a small amount of rules with many variations, GURPS has an absolutely massive amount of rules, some of which are less necessary than others.

Both are jack of all trades, but if you want light tabletop, FATE is the way to go. If you want crunch, GURPS. That said, GURPS has some great sci-fi add-ons...

xelada

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2012, 06:14:54 pm »

What do you mean by light do you mean:
Rules-light: ie "fill in your Brains, Brawn and Beauty score"
Light tech: ie cybernetics are superior to humans but only found in the military or the hadicapped.
Light atmosphere: ie "Good news everyone, I've invented a machine that makes everything said into it to sound like me and it needs to be transported to the planet of sentient gummi bears."

EagleV

• Bay Watcher
  • Oblivisci tempta quod didicisti
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 25, 2012, 03:20:49 am »

Rules light. The other two are up to whoever runs it.
Quote from: Robert Donoghue and Fred Hicks
There are three things you must learn if you wish to defeat me, my young pupil. First, you must look within yourself and find your core of strength. Second, your mind and body must be in perfect unison. Third...
*WHACK*
Third, stop listening when you should be fighting.