Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Javacript not functioning  (Read 874 times)

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Javacript not functioning
« on: December 23, 2012, 10:03:43 am »

At least I think it's javascript. Many websites that seem to use it aren't functioning. Bay12, for example, lacks the options for inserting smileys, and tags(I never use those, I type them in manually), as well as being unable to open spoiler tags. Youtube does not load videos. Some of the non-browser stuff does not work either, so I don't think it's limited to IE. Even if it was, I can't install Firefox, since both Mozilla and CNET's websites use javascript to start the download.

And yes, it is enabled, and there's not concievable reason why my security settings would block it. Also affected is any means to change my antivirus(McAfee, it came pre-installed on the netbook) settings. Perhaps McAfee is borked?

EDIT: A system restore to the very first time one was made has fixed it, it seems. Still don't know what caused it. I'm guessing that jscript.dll was corrupted or something similar during a Windows Update.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2012, 08:47:14 pm by Akura »
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
Re: Javacript not functioning
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2012, 11:41:52 am »

Weird. My best guess is that it was a screwed up javascript install. I've fucked up mine accidentally before, and it had a lot of the same effects. (Though YouTube loaded fine, since that's Flash.) It could also be something on your computer blocking scripts. When I disallow YouTube and Bay12 via NoScript, the same changes happen. No smilies, the buttons don't work, and on Youtube there are no videos. That could be some kind of security option about blocking external scripts, but I don't use McAfee because it's the devil.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
Re: Javacript not functioning
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2012, 12:43:58 pm »

Indeed. Removing McAfee, and installing something more decent, is the first thing I do whenever I need to help out friends and family with their new computers.
The first thing that came to mind when I read your post was 'NoScript'. But NoScript is rather clear in it's message to you about blocking scripts, so I guess that's not it.
Which leaves either a corrupted Java install, something wierd by McAfee, or a virus.
Even though you restored your system to it's pristine state, it couldn't hurt to unleash a thourough virus scan on it. Yes, I know that can take hours ;)
« Last Edit: December 24, 2012, 12:47:00 pm by martinuzz »
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479