Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: So, I'm going to Dublin.  (Read 704 times)

Ancre

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
So, I'm going to Dublin.
« on: December 22, 2012, 04:15:25 am »

Me and my girlfriend will be going there after christmas. We'll stay five days.

We already have a list of museums and other cultural curiosities we'd like to visit. But it's the first time we're organizing something like this, and it's a bit daunting, so I thought I'd ask what there is to see, just in case we miss something.

Doctus

• Bay Watcher
  • 黄昏よりも昏きもの…
    • View Profile
Re: So, I'm going to Dublin.
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2012, 07:39:27 pm »

The Book of Kells exhibit is fantastic. Since you have five days, you could also try Newgrange or some of the other points of interest around Dublin itself; I'm not much of a city person, so I enjoyed them quite a bit, but I don't know about the two of you.

If you're planning to get around by bus, I had solely positive experiences with Bus Éireann and found that Dublin Bus generally drove like maniacs.

Just Some Guy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2012, 09:38:14 pm »

Visit the Guinness brewery.

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2012, 01:26:41 am »

Have fun!

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2012, 01:31:59 am »

Don't talk about Northern Ireland or the Irish Republican Army. Just don't.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2012, 01:49:37 am »

Yeah. Actually just be safe, don't mention bombs or say the words Catholic or Protestant. You may think I'm joking but I'm not. If the wrong person hears you or mishears you, you might be in a lot of trouble.

Ancre

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2012, 03:03:42 am »

Even in Dublin ? I'll keep that in mind then.

Thank you for your suggestions !

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2012, 03:07:01 am »

Religion is just a sore topic in general when it comes to Ireland. In fact, if it can be linked back to the United Kingdom in any way, don't.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
  • True neoliberalism has never been tried
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2012, 09:25:51 am »

Why not wait and go on June 16th?

@Footjob, you can microwave most grains I've tried pretty easily through the microwave, even if they aren't packaged for it.

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2012, 09:33:17 am »

The Guiness brewery I felt to be a bit overrated and boring, though the veiw from the SkyBar is nice. Save the cash and just go into Temple Bar alongside the Liffey and go drink some of the stuff in the manner it is supposed to be - In a sawdust floored bar with some Irish folk music in the background. If you have to do a brewery tour, I suggest the Jamesons Whiskey distillery, though I struggle to remember the second half of it due to muggyheadedness.

The Wellington memorial is worth going to see if you like monuments. I also propose maybe going to see some Rugby - if Leinster have a home game (Sat 29th they do) and you can get hold of some tickets. Whilst not quite as Rugby mad as us Welsh or the Kiwis, I have always had an awesome time with Irish Rugby fans.
This is a blank sig.