Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 9

Author Topic: You Are A Power Leech  (Read 14686 times)

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
Re: You Are A Power Leech
« Reply #60 on: December 22, 2012, 09:08:34 pm »

Not sure if they were there when you started, but they should be in the third post. I could repost them here, but it seems redundant.

By the rules there, you'd probably have about 2d10% of the healing factor, 2d8-2d10% of the toughness, and get back to me on the strength. It should be fine, though.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

LordBucket

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: December 22, 2012, 09:33:08 pm »

you'd probably have about 2d10% of the healing factor, 2d8-2d10% of the toughness

...your numbers don't appear to have any feats attached to them. In this post I gave specific examples of the powers in action to give an idea of how effective I imagined them to be. I'm not really sure what it means to have "10% toughness."

if you have the Super Strength of Redthunder, who is as strong as four and a half men, at 10%,
you could have 1/10 Strength, making you about a third stronger.

I don't understand your math. How does 10% equate to 1/3 stronger? Stronger than whom? 1/3 stronger than Lucy's baseline of "average strength of a typical 110 pound girl" or  1/3 stronger than "the average man?" Or do you mean 10% of Redthunder's strength, which is 10% of 4.5men, which is .45men?

How does stacking work? If we consume 1 unit of blood from Tom who is twice as strong as the average man, and 1 unit of blood from George who is five times as strong as the average man, what is the result?

How do caps work? Let's say Alice and Bob are both as strong as ten men. And we consume blood from Alice until we reach 100%. I presume we're now as strong as ten men. Next we consume blood from Bob until we reach 100%. Are we now as strong as 20 men, or only as strong as ten? What if we continue consuming blood from Alice after reaching 100%? Can we become stronger than Alice?

This could get complicated if you're tracking percentages based on the powers of those we leech rather than against some baseline. For example, if we consume once each from Tom, George, Alice and Bob in the above examples, will that be listed on the character sheet like this:

Strength:
8% of Tom (two men)
6% of George (five men)
5% of Alice (ten men)
11% of Bob (ten men)

Or will it be listed like this:

Strength:
N%

The second would be simpler, but I don't see how that kind of descriptor would work with the system you appear to be describing.

get back to me on the strength

Of the three it's the only incident with repeated contact. The hand-blood-sucking and bloodied-hug incidents were single contact, whereas the strength probably involved various "fluid exchanges" regularly for a couple weeks. It would probably be the highest percentage value of the three.

EDIT:
Also...important clarification: it occurs to me that the bloody hug scenario I gave was a fluid exchange, but it was not fluid consumption. Do we need to specifically ingest fluids for leeching to work? For example, kissing and blood sucking both work, but does intercourse? Does contact with open wounds work? Does injection via syringe work?

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: December 22, 2012, 09:49:31 pm »

you'd probably have about 2d10% of the healing factor, 2d8-2d10% of the toughness
...your numbers don't appear to have any feats attached to them. In this post I gave specific examples of the powers in action to give an idea of how effective I imagined them to be. I'm not really sure what it means to have "10% toughness."
You'd have about 10% the increase in toughness over a normal human being which the super had. Quantifying powers can be hard, but I'll try. For other powers, it could also mean the power doesn't work or doesn't work right 90% of the time.

if you have the Super Strength of Redthunder, who is as strong as four and a half men, at 10%,
you could have 1/10 Strength, making you about a third stronger.
I don't understand your math. How does 10% equate to 1/3 stronger? Stronger than whom? 1/3 stronger than Lucy's baseline of "average strength of a typical 110 pound girl" or  1/3 stronger than "the average man?" Or do you mean 10% of Redthunder's strength, which is 10% of 4.5men, which is .45men?
4.5 strength is +350%. 10% of 350% is 35%, which is about 33.33...%.

How does stacking work? If we consume 1 unit of blood from Tom who is twice as strong as the average man, and 1 unit of blood from George who is five times as strong as the average man, what is the result?
Assuming the unit is about 10% of the power, that would be (0.1*+100%)+(0.1*+400%), or half again as strong as normal. If you drank enough to absorb the full amount of power of both, you'd be six times as strong as a normal person. This is, of course, assuming a fairly inconsequential amount of impact from environmental factors past the powers.

How do caps work? Let's say Alice and Bob are both as strong as ten men. And we consume blood from Alice until we reach 100%. I presume we're now as strong as ten men. Next we consume blood from Bob until we reach 100%. Are we now as strong as 20 men, or only as strong as ten? What if we continue consuming blood from Alice after reaching 100%? Can we become stronger than Alice?
You'd actually be as strong as 18 men, assuming the powers didn't come from essentially the same source. If two supers are about identical in powers and origin, it only counts once. Typically, this will only be applicable in cases like "manufactured" supers or priests gaining general powers or whatever--it won't come up normally. If you only get super strength from Alice, you're capped at her strength (100% of her power)

This could get complicated if you're tracking percentages based on the powers of those we leech rather than against some baseline. For example, if we consume once each from Tom, George, Alice and Bob in the above examples, will that be listed on the character sheet like this:

Strength:
8% of Tom (two men)
6% of George (five men)
5% of Alice (ten men)
11% of Bob (ten men)

Or will it be listed like this:

Strength:
N%

The second would be simpler, but I don't see how that kind of descriptor would work with the system you appear to be describing.
The hardest part will be the math, but I'm fairly good at it and simplifying it. Besides, there's a huge variety of super powers...

get back to me on the strength
Of the three it's the only incident with repeated contact. The hand-blood-sucking and bloodied-hug incidents were single contact, whereas the strength probably involved various "fluid exchanges" regularly for a couple weeks. It would probably be the highest percentage value of the three.
Yeah. Guessing how many contacts and such would be the tough bit there.

I hope this makes "sense."
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

LordBucket

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: December 22, 2012, 10:10:44 pm »

I think so. More or less. I'm sure it will get easier once we see it in action a few times. Though please note question edited into my previous post. It's an important clarification that we'll need.

Other than that, is there anything else? Are there any more character creation questions or are we ready to begin?

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: December 22, 2012, 10:18:37 pm »

Depends on the exchange. Getting it directly into your bloodstream would probably work almost as well as ingestion, most likely. Intercourse? Probably not, unless you have some sort of way to transfer the semen to your system.
And...sure, if no one else has anything to suggest about the interim we can start.
Sig

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: December 23, 2012, 01:38:04 am »

Alright, might as well post this now.

-----

Over the seven years or so since you discovered your power, several things happened. Towards the end of middle school, this annoying super named Griffin Marshal was cutting his arms for kicks and popularity. This got stopped once you played a trick and drank some of his blood. This freaked him out enough that he stopped doing the trick (or, at least, did it a lot less, and never when you were around), and you started healing quickly. Papercuts were a worry of the past, and even major injuries were healed quickly. Even being hit by a car only put you in the hospital for a week, part of that due to doctors doing tests on you to figure out how you healed so fast.
Later on, after your sophomore year, you were invited on a vacation with the Carvers. Elva asked you out a bit beforehand, and you politely declined. By the time you returned, he had recovered to his typical state. Meanwhile, Dirk revealed his true colors about three days in. He had taken you to a neat little beach, probably private property as there was no one around, and also asked you out. Given the circumstances, you tried, but it ended...poorly. Although you haven't told a soul, you did end up sleeping with Dirk's father, John, twice. Much of the remainder of the summer was spent on piloting lessons, when your mother let you.
By this point, you had long since blossomed into your youthful beauty. Perhaps in part due to your healing, your form resists nearly all attempts to alter its loveliness. Therefore, it was only a small surprise when the quarterback, Kurtis Shepstone, asked you to homecoming. You accepted. It was a nice couple months before the two of you broke up, but evidently making out was enough to share his strength with you. You're not a lot stronger, but it's helped with carrying books around school, and working out would probably help.
One of the most memorable events of your teenage years, aside from being hit by a car just before your 16th birthday, had to be the day when the Falcon Comet fought Chill near the mall. Chill's robotic minions hurled the Falcon Comet through a window as he was escaping. The hero managed to make it just through the window before collapsing. You and an older man--you never learned his name--hurried through the window to try and help before the ambulances arrived. You gave him a hug of appreciation, which the man gladly accepted. Also, during the eent, some of the Comet's blood got on you. You must have licked your fingers--not that you were so exhilarated by the event that you wanted to develop more powers, no-sir-ee--because in addition to a bit of toughness, you also developed some feathers reminiscent of the Comet's wings...
Now, though, it's time to decide your future. Dirk has become a missionary somewhere, a course you never could have guessed he would take. Elva got over his personal relations issues somewhat and decided to go to Berkely, with a major of Undecided at the moment. Patrick was convinced by his father to get an MBA at Standford. You, too, need to make a decision. Your math grades are excellent, thanks to passing tests being reliant entirely on paying a bit of attention in class and thinking about each problem for maybe 15 seconds; you're also good at [1]. You're considering going into [2], but it's all up in the air at this point.

1. What other subject are you good at, and what (2ish) subjects are you pretty good at?
2. What do you want to go into for a career? In-character, not IRL.
Sig

LordBucket

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: December 23, 2012, 02:15:33 am »

1. What other subject are you good at, and what (2ish) subjects are you pretty good at?

Apart from math, our writing and speaking skills were generally good, but we have our eyes set on law and/or finance. Look for a big name school: Harvard, Princeton, Stanford, Yale etc.

2. What do you want to go into for a career?

...pretty sure working for a living is not on the agenda. We're thin, we're pretty, our family is rich, we live in the right location...the purpose of college is to meet people, not to get a piece of paper.

Right now, top choices for "career" are:

1) Get married to somebody rich and as sexy as we are and have playful debates with our husband over which one of us is the arm candy while sipping martinis and complaining about the caviar.
2) Be a superhero
3) Be a supervillain
4) Some combination or all of the above.

I propose we keep our options open.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: December 23, 2012, 11:05:46 am »

I just noticed something Bucket left out. You were supposed to choose a subject you were really good at (other than math), and two subjects you're pretty good at. What's the other really-good one?
Sig

LordBucket

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: December 23, 2012, 09:10:26 pm »

a subject you were really good at

Speaking (public speaking, giving speeches, impromptu, standup, generally talking to people and getting them to like her, etc. Let's say she was homecoming queen, and involved with student government.)

two subjects you're pretty good at.

Writing
Cello

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: December 23, 2012, 09:42:15 pm »

Thanks. I'll update once I catch up on what has been posted elsewhere since the log table corruption was fixed.
Sig

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: December 23, 2012, 10:49:39 pm »

You've considered your career options. You intend to head to some Ivy League school or whatever. You intend to avoid actual work...perhaps marrying another rich and lovely person, perhaps becoming a superhero or -villain. A few obvious options presented themselves.

You could go to Harvard and study business. If you did have to work, this would be a good choice. Probably.
Perhaps you could go to Yale for law school, also a good choice for actual work. Law training could also be useful if you became a super--if nothing else, it circumvents irritation with having to pay lawyers in court while keeping a secret identity.
You could consider going to MIT or Purdue something to get some sort of degree related to the "super-"sciences. While MIT is focused more on conventional technology, Purdue has a program for various supertechnologists...either could be useful. Of course, you have your own powers, so tech isn't as vital.
Finally, you could find some fun degree somewhere. Maybe music.

You chose...

The question should be obvious. Where did you choose to go to college and what were you going for?
Sig

LordBucket

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: December 24, 2012, 01:19:38 am »

Where did you choose to go to college and what were you going for?

Lucy applied to Harvard and was accepted.

we have our eyes set on law and/or finance. Look for a big name school: Harvard, Princeton, Stanford, Yale etc.

Go to Harvard Law. Get a J.D. law degree, then go pass the bar exam. Then mount the paperwork in a nice frame, stick it on wall and forget about it because we're not planning on practicing law. We're attending school to make contacts, not to get a job.

During the college years, make a point to maintain and develop other skills. Rent a plane and fly a couple times per month and keep our license current. Participate in some concerts. See if we can take some of the money daddy is sending us for living expenses and invest it.

Be sure to attend parties and be sociable. We don't need to graduate valedictorian. A b average is fine. It's far more important that all the other people we're going to school with remember us as the classy, awesome girl who always knew what to say, was always fun to spend time with, and who was always nice to them.

Also keep an eye out for supers to siphon. Two weeks dating superman would be worth fantastically more to us than our degree ever will be. Nobody with visible conditions (green skin, extra arms etc.) though. We'll want to be able to pass as a normal.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: December 24, 2012, 02:23:13 pm »

Whoops, missed that line and/or forgot that Lucy is the name of the PC.

Ahem.

You, of course, went to Harvard, still uncertain about your exact major. Maybe you could get a PhD in "Undecided." It would certainly be unique. Heh. Anyways, you're preparing to head across the country in a few months.
What will you do with your last months before college?
Sig

Jbg97

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: December 24, 2012, 02:25:56 pm »

Go on a murdering spree of superheros. Absorb all their powers and become a god.
Quote from: NW_Kohaku
DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF.
Quote from: Owlbread
Everything will burn. Everything must burn.
Quote from: Girlinhat
The science of burning innocent children could be perfected into clockwork.
Quote from: Insanity X
And that is how Jbg97 saved dwarfmas

scapheap

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a good guy...girl. My horse just eat souls.
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: December 24, 2012, 04:12:51 pm »

Go on a murdering spree of superheros. Absorb all their powers and become a god.
No. Find the limits of current power levels. Plus something else.
You were planning to have a 15 year old magical girl kill Witches by drinking them under the table!? It's original, at least.
Morpheus, a magic girls game
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 9