Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29 30 ... 33

Author Topic: How's your generation doing?  (Read 44839 times)

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
Re: How's your generation doing?
« Reply #405 on: March 18, 2015, 06:45:38 pm »

...with my generation probably being some of the least guilty.

Where you live and out of the people you contacted.  No guarantee that is true outside of that measure.
Quote from: Eric Blank
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.
Quote from: 2016 Election IRC
<DozebomLolumzalis> you filthy god-damn ninja wizard dragon

Angle

• Bay Watcher
  • 39 Indigo Spear Questions the Poor
    • View Profile
    • Agora Forum Demo!
« Reply #406 on: March 18, 2015, 06:50:32 pm »

Yeah, true enough. Still, it definitely seems like those who have power are bothering with less and less in the way of scruples. "Screw it, we'll just take what we want. Who gives a shit about anyone else?"

Agora: open-source platform to facilitate complicated discussions between large numbers of people. Now with test site!

The Temple of the Elements: Quirky Dungeon Crawler

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #407 on: March 18, 2015, 07:34:28 pm »

This is a complex issue (deterioration of work ethic, and deterioration of hope for future, et al), created by a confluence of many things.

this list is hardly comprehensive, just listing a few contributing factors off the top of my head.

1) population has increased, diluting the scarcity of labor, driving down wages.
2) both spouces work, diluting the labor market, diluting the value of money in general, and reducing home buying power to time spent working ratio.
3) Older generations living longer than expected, throwing off plans in economic development upon which further retirement planning is based. (social security, et.)
4) Corporations being obstinate about the myth of purpetual growth, scraping the bottom of the barrel for lost profits, making life hell for everyone. (coupled with regulatory capture, politics for hire, and other social ills)
5) Younger generations ceasing to "give a fuck" about "big picture" items, due to loss/erosion of political power of the electorate (see point 4 above. Money over all!)
6) Younger people starting careers with 3 figures of non-dischargable debt being considered "not qualified" for jobs they paid dearly to be educated for, because of 4) above, being disillusioned quickly when they find that thier best career choice is STILL working at walmart, and living hand to mouth.
7) politicians either in outright denial of these factors, or simply not caring. (the corporations they work for simply dont care at all.) No relief or reform to correct these imbalances are in sight.
8) the general sense of apathy created by 4) through 7) above make the notion of "populist revolution" (in any form, including non-violent) absurd to even consider as a problem.
9) Corporations and the government see 8) as a blank cheque to do whatever the hell they want, becuse the plebs wont do anything about it anyway.

and so much more.

American workers have poor work ethic, because they get shafted weather they do good work or bad work. There are no true incentives for good work, because the planning methods used by major corporations these days are not quality based, but bulk aggregate sales based. The only people getting perks are sales people selling ice machines to Eskimos, CEOs, and board members.  The actual people that include quality into products are treated as interchangably replacable cogs, and treated like shit as a cost center, and corporate is always looking for ways to reduce that "cost."

The lie that purpetual financial growth is not only possible, but ideal, needs to die in a fire.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #408 on: March 18, 2015, 07:59:28 pm »

Honestly, from a lot of what I hear american workers, particularly the younger ones, don't really have a bad work ethic -- most of the problem seems to come from them not being allowed to work. Managers getting in the way, preventing good work, jobs not being offered, effort not being recognized and worked with/around, etc., etc. Most of the folks I've been around in my age and the generations coming after kinda' want to work, want to do a good job, etc., etc. -- these are generally very easily motivated people that want to be motivated. But it's like the stars have aligned to do everything in their power to prevent that from happening.

Which is more or less what you're getting at, but...
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #409 on: March 18, 2015, 08:15:07 pm »

Yeah, it's actually really hard to de-motivate me.  To the point that I've grown to hate my current workplace and upper level decisions seem designed to make the operation fail in every way possible... and yet I still can't seem to just let go and allow things to fail, even though it wouldn't be my fault and I don't care about the success of the business itself.

But it's been done.  The last place I worked managed to keep me completely and utterly de-motivated to the point that I was on the verge of losing that job almost constantly for 3-4 years.  To the point that I put more effort into doing below minimal work than it would have been to meet requirements, because I hated them just that much.

So yeah... our work ethics are in fact pretty fucked up.  But I wasn't going to paint that much of a picture on the spot, when "We've seen your example and chosen not to follow it" would suffice.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #410 on: March 18, 2015, 08:50:34 pm »

We NEED to let it fail.

Holding up the bullshit, only motivates the fuckwits in charge to cut back harder, because "reducing costs == profit!"

These agencies need to fail, so that there is a power vacuum, and new, competing agencies spring up to fill it.

It's much harder to buy political power when no single agency has the market cap necessary to do so.  Mega conglomerates easily put up that kind of dough, and write it off as a business expense.  Letting thier shit fall all to hell from the inside is the only avenue left of eliminating this problem non-violently.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #411 on: March 18, 2015, 08:55:08 pm »

I am aware.  And I look forward to watching this office fail and close... from a safe distance, once I've found a new job :P

But really, I do want to watch it all collapse on itself.  The sooner, the better.  But one person throwing his hands up and walking away doesn't matter.  It has to be a lot of people.  And culturally, we're just not there yet.  Too many still sold on the line "Be thankful you have a job", no matter how much they hate it.
We dance for the idiots
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #412 on: March 18, 2015, 09:09:38 pm »

sad, but true.

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #413 on: March 18, 2015, 10:51:53 pm »

This is a complex issue (deterioration of work ethic, and deterioration of hope for future, et al), created by a confluence of many things.

this list is hardly comprehensive, just listing a few contributing factors off the top of my head.

1) population has increased, diluting the scarcity of labor, driving down wages.
2) both spouces work, diluting the labor market, diluting the value of money in general, and reducing home buying power to time spent working ratio.
3) Older generations living longer than expected, throwing off plans in economic development upon which further retirement planning is based. (social security, et.)
4) Corporations being obstinate about the myth of purpetual growth, scraping the bottom of the barrel for lost profits, making life hell for everyone. (coupled with regulatory capture, politics for hire, and other social ills)
5) Younger generations ceasing to "give a fuck" about "big picture" items, due to loss/erosion of political power of the electorate (see point 4 above. Money over all!)
6) Younger people starting careers with 3 figures of non-dischargable debt being considered "not qualified" for jobs they paid dearly to be educated for, because of 4) above, being disillusioned quickly when they find that thier best career choice is STILL working at walmart, and living hand to mouth.
7) politicians either in outright denial of these factors, or simply not caring. (the corporations they work for simply dont care at all.) No relief or reform to correct these imbalances are in sight.
8) the general sense of apathy created by 4) through 7) above make the notion of "populist revolution" (in any form, including non-violent) absurd to even consider as a problem.
9) Corporations and the government see 8) as a blank cheque to do whatever the hell they want, becuse the plebs wont do anything about it anyway.

Don't forget advances in technology making human labor increasingly pointless and obsolete.
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #414 on: March 18, 2015, 11:13:58 pm »

I'd like to join this thread, but it's too much of a hassle reading 29 pages right now.

So, I'm in generation Z, I think. Born right on the beginning of the year 2000, which is neat.

Anyways, what is the current topic of conversation?

Start here.  Near beginning of last page.  That's not too bad, right?
We dance for the idiots
In the land of twilight

GreatJustice

• Bay Watcher
  • ☭The adventure continues (refresh)☭
    • View Profile
« Reply #415 on: March 19, 2015, 03:12:28 am »

Seeing people born in the 00's posting on forums makes me feel really old. I remember when being born in the late 90's made you the kid of the community, and now that's the average age of posters.
The person supporting regenerating health, when asked why you can see when shot in the eye justified it as 'you put on an eyepatch'. When asked what happens when you are then shot in the other eye, he said that you put an eyepatch on that eye. When asked how you'd be able to see, he said that your first eye would have healed by then.

Professional Bridge Toll Collector?

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #416 on: March 19, 2015, 03:23:16 am »

Imagine how I feel, being an early 80s kid!

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #417 on: March 19, 2015, 03:31:55 am »

You old fogey you! (Early 90s here).
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile
« Reply #418 on: March 19, 2015, 05:03:04 am »

You old fogey you! (Early 90s here).

Angle

• Bay Watcher
  • 39 Indigo Spear Questions the Poor
    • View Profile
    • Agora Forum Demo!
« Reply #419 on: March 19, 2015, 09:43:49 am »

Agora: open-source platform to facilitate complicated discussions between large numbers of people. Now with test site!

The Temple of the Elements: Quirky Dungeon Crawler
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29 30 ... 33