Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 33

Author Topic: How's your generation doing?  (Read 44804 times)

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
Re: How's your generation doing?
« Reply #195 on: January 02, 2013, 07:20:21 pm »

I could go protest, but all that will accomplish is media harassment and everyone ignoring me, until I get enough people behind me (those crazy squatters in Central Park come to mind) and even then all you get is ridicule. Why try?

You know why Occupy Wall Street was a joke? There was no threat of violence. You're not going to make a person stop pissing on you by chanting: "Peaceful protest! Peaceful protest!"

As if violence is an option.  That's not protest, that's suicide.  Protest is about directing public attention.  Peaceful protest is about earning respect and legitimacy.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Hubris Incalculable

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: January 02, 2013, 07:33:56 pm »

I could go protest, but all that will accomplish is media harassment and everyone ignoring me, until I get enough people behind me (those crazy squatters in Central Park come to mind) and even then all you get is ridicule. Why try?

You know why Occupy Wall Street was a joke? There was no threat of violence. You're not going to make a person stop pissing on you by chanting: "Peaceful protest! Peaceful protest!"

Code: (Bay 12 Lower Boards IRC) [Select]
server = irc.darkmyst.net
channel = #bay12lb

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: January 02, 2013, 08:32:30 pm »

MLK is probably a better example of peaceful protest than Gandhi. You won't stop the abuses, and in fact you will incite more. That, Hiiri, is the whole point. Most people don't like abuses. They can ignore and rationalize it if they don't see it, but these kinds of movements make people see it. Like taping their eyes open and forcing them to accept the reality of the situation.

Once that happens, the people enacting the abuses become the enemy of the public and are stripped of power by the will of the public. At the end of the day, power only works when people don't care enough about you having it.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

PanH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: January 02, 2013, 08:55:18 pm »

MLK is probably a better example of peaceful protest than Gandhi.
I wouldn't say that, especially considering the contexts, and the aim of the different protests.

Hubris Incalculable

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: January 02, 2013, 09:05:39 pm »

You won't stop the abuses, and in fact you will incite more.

And the Jallianwala Bagh massacre doesn't sound like such an abuse?
channel = #bay12lb

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #200 on: January 02, 2013, 09:22:20 pm »

I wouldn't say that, especially considering the contexts, and the aim of the different protests.
I just don't like Gandhi. Dude was racist as hell and possibly (though I admit not definitely) a pedophile. He also went off the deep end on pacifism and told the British they should surrender to the Nazis rather than fight them. There are some situations in which violence is the answer.

MLK's worst action was adultery, by comparison.
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: January 03, 2013, 12:26:52 am »

Yeah, it's really odd, and often unfortunate and ironic which people history chooses to remember.  It's usually one step away from the person who actually deserves it.

To be fair on the racism note, though, there are very very few historical figures who weren't racist as hell.  I don't know how you can expect to have any historical role models if that's a disqualifier.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2013, 12:30:00 am by SalmonGod »
We dance for the idiots
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: January 03, 2013, 12:32:33 am »

Gandhi lived in a time where he should have known better, and additionally was more racist than was normal for the time. 
No Gods, No Masters.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: January 03, 2013, 01:01:32 am »

Gandhi lived in a time where he should have known better, and additionally was more racist than was normal for the time.

Fair enough.  I'm not well versed on him.  It also wouldn't bother me too much if you said that abandoning reverence for racist historical figures, no matter how universal, is a necessary step towards maturing past that dark stage of human history.  It does still seem to me like Ghandi possessed some admirable qualities and ideas, and I'm not one to deny a person their positive marks on account of their negatives... but meh.  I'm sure there are many greater people hidden unknown in the past.
We dance for the idiots
In the land of twilight

Hubris Incalculable

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: January 03, 2013, 01:51:08 am »

I just don't like Gandhi. Dude was racist as hell and possibly (though I admit not definitely) a pedophile. He also went off the deep end on pacifism and told the British they should surrender to the Nazis rather than fight them. There are some situations in which violence is the answer.

MLK's worst action was adultery, by comparison.
Still, my argument holds. Gandhi brought about major social and political change in India through peaceful protest, thus disproving Hiiri's blanket statement that peaceful protest does not work.
channel = #bay12lb

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: January 03, 2013, 02:06:47 am »

I didn't say your argument doesn't hold. I just don't like Gandhi and consider MLK a better example of nonviolent resistance because he held a higher moral standard.
No Gods, No Masters.

Hiiri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: January 03, 2013, 04:17:47 am »

Seems counterproductive to make sure everyone knows your peaceful intents, since then you can be safely ignored. Picnic at the park doesn't quite convey the frustration and anger people are (supposed to be) feeling.

fqllve

• Bay Watcher
  • (grammar) anarcho-communist
    • View Profile
    • ufowitch
« Reply #207 on: January 03, 2013, 04:31:51 am »

You seem to be under the impression that all power is in the form of violence or threat of violence. While I think the Occupy movement was generally ineffective, peaceful protest demonstrates solidarity among large groups of people and large groups of people have innate power.

Also, there's really no guarantee that things won't escalate into violence later just because they're peaceful now.
You don't use freedom Penguin. First you demand it, then you have it.
No using. That's not what freedom is for.

Trollheiming

• Bay Watcher
  • I do. I really do.
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: January 03, 2013, 05:09:29 am »

Still, my argument holds. Gandhi brought about major social and political change in India through peaceful protest, thus disproving Hiiri's blanket statement that peaceful protest does not work.

The British of that era believed in the Christian god. They had to answer for their "immoral" actions to a higher power far above the government, a particular higher power that is usually represented as caring for the weak and the poor, and whose own story is permeated with peaceful resistance. As for MLK, I even forget what he did for a living. Maybe he was a hip-hop star?

These people and their oddly peaceful form of resistance were permitted by the peculiar underpinnings of western society. Maybe they were great men, but then you'd aso have to give credit to the one society that allowed them to be great men. It didn't work anywhere else, and it won't work in the west once everyone is thoroughly de-Christianized, both theologically and ethically. I say this despite being a small-a atheist.

No one today seriously believes in anything but themselves. What happens in a godless country, when peaceful protest occurs? Tiananmen Square in China. Peaceful protest is a big wet kiss to the powers that be in most societies. Here are the troublemakers right here. They've thoughtfully concentrated themselves in one area, with no means of defense, and with a finite number of escape routes.

The strange thing is, what if Communist China had fallen like the USSR? There may have been anarchy that would have been worse for China. Before the protests were put down, no Chinese person would have conceived that his government could turn guns upon its citizens, and leaders of the protesters were hardly as capable of directing government policy as Deng Xiaoping. They were mainly whimsical college students like the Occupiers. Peaceful protest absent a sense of danger in pursuing that path calls out to many unserious and whimsical types that could hardly form the start of a new social order by themselves. The unserious people usually don't know what's best for them anyway. If Occupiers could get their way, they probably wouldn't much like the results. The real results, not the imagination in their heads. Deng Xiaoping probably made the right call when he sent the tanks into Tiananmen. Sadly enough.

Speaking of imagination, the most bizarre image in my mind is envisioning a card-carrying, iPhone-using member of the downtrodden Occupier movement actually getting dirt or blood on his hands. When there comes a time bad enough for real social change, the people who can actually effect social change will rise up. I'm not sure that we should look forward to that day or to whatever it might precipitate.

On that note, I'll be surprised if a chunk of the third world today isn't significantly more powerful in 2050, and social liberalism will be much slower there.

Probably 80% of Chinese girls are virgins at marriage. You have to pay her father about $5000 for the right to marry her. And before you can even show your face to him, you'd better have a house for her. Sound liberal yet? I doubt this will ever change much, either. Especially with the western world tottering on the verge of something bad. Most of the posts in this long thread were sad reading for me as an expat, and the ideas of western liberalism don't seem to have borne fruit in quite such a way that will encourage other cultures to shed their own millennia of social traditions.

fqllve

• Bay Watcher
  • (grammar) anarcho-communist
    • View Profile
    • ufowitch
« Reply #209 on: January 03, 2013, 05:41:57 am »

Deng Xiaoping probably made the right call when he sent the tanks into Tiananmen. Sadly enough.
This scares the shit out of me because while I will never agree that he was right, Deng certainly was instrumental in undoing the damage done by Mao and putting China in the position it is now. The situation is filled with too many grey areas for me to comfortably assess.

But Tiananmen had nothing to do with the fact that the PRC was atheistic, it had a history of violent suppression of political dissent and this situation wasn't really any different. The fact they were peacefully protesting didn't matter because in the eyes of the Politiburo dissent was the same as violence against the state because it was a threat to their power. That's why Deng could refer to soldiers who had died as martyrs. The reason peaceful protest works for Western countries is because they espouse freedom as one of their values, and because governance is given over to the population, and thus the voice of the populace is given credence rather than met with fear. It didn't work for Occupy because they really weren't speaking, there was no unity and there was no real force behind their words. They didn't do a good job of expressing their outrage so no one took them seriously, but just because that didn't work doesn't mean that peaceful protest won't ever work in the US again.
You don't use freedom Penguin. First you demand it, then you have it.
No using. That's not what freedom is for.
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 33