Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 33

Author Topic: How's your generation doing?  (Read 44800 times)

Wolfy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: How's your generation doing?
« Reply #180 on: December 28, 2012, 11:09:51 pm »

the last Gen ruined collage for us, remember all those parents saying they HAD to go to collage? kids listed, and since they did now collage is not "a better learning" its barely the standard, and soon I doubt collage will be optional

making a better future for your kids made a worse one for your grand kids.

kind of funny huh/?
I'm a bad speller, no amount of telling me how bad I am is going to make me better. People have been trying for over two decades. English is hard for me, its like how some cant get math, i cant get English.

Slayerhero90

• Bay Watcher
  • Time for Taako's opinion.
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: December 29, 2012, 02:30:27 pm »

Well the discussion is on colledges, not collages. This is not about art right now.
My tumblr.
Yeah no I don't haunt here anymore. Peace

anzki4

• Bay Watcher
  • On the wings of maybe
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: December 29, 2012, 02:56:17 pm »

Well the discussion is on colledges, not collages. This is not about art right now.
Yeah... I still think it's about colleges.

Slayerhero90

• Bay Watcher
  • Time for Taako's opinion.
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: December 29, 2012, 03:08:40 pm »

I hate that word. I misspell funny.

Example: The word "pigeon". I always spell it "pidgeon". I always assume that there's the d before the g.

Other words I hate, first being my misspelling, in parentheses is the correct:
Millitarry (Military)
Nescesarry (Necessary)
Words like ceiling, field, shield, wield...
My tumblr.
Yeah no I don't haunt here anymore. Peace

Lich180

• Bay Watcher
  • Avatar by PlutoniumApe, "Urist McGuyFieri"
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: December 29, 2012, 06:43:51 pm »

As to all the doom-and-gloom I've seen the last page or several, I'm just sitting back watching and waiting. I can't do anything about it, and anyone who says I can make a difference is either lying or trying to get me into their political beliefs.

I could go protest, but all that will accomplish is media harassment and everyone ignoring me, until I get enough people behind me (those crazy squatters in Central Park come to mind) and even then all you get is ridicule. Why try?

I could vote, but in a system that doesn't care about the individual vote, only the mass vote, and districts are redrawn constantly to support a majority, my vote doesn't matter.

I could go into politics myself, but I don't have the time, energy, or most importantly, money and business connections required.

So I'm content to be doing my own thing, sitting on my butt going to college on the governments dime (and my own, a bit) by using my military benefits. Had to do 4 years in the Marines (no, I didn't go to Iraq, Afghanistan, or anywhere in the Middle East, just Japan and California) to get it, and I intend to abuse the system as best I can. The VA sucks, and its hard as hell to get a straight answer sometimes, but I'm getting 3 and a half years of college, books and housing paid for. After that, its sink or swim time, and I intend to swim my ass off.

Even if the companies locally won't hire me (and by me, I mean my degree) I can look at other states. Chemical Process Technology should be somewhat decent, even if I don't fit in with a bunch of roughnecks.

And I also hate those words, I hunt-n-peck when I type so I usually misspell words I can write perfectly fine.

Scoops Novel

• Bay Watcher
  • Talismanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: December 30, 2012, 01:50:58 pm »

I see my brother seeing this on Facebook, posted by someone who i doubt is it's poster boy, and you remember that every generation said wait til the revolution comes. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=njSV5LtVmR4.
Reading a thinner book

Arcjolt (useful) Chilly The Endoplasm Jiggles

Hums with potential    a flying minotaur

Wolfy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: December 30, 2012, 02:33:39 pm »

A little easy on my generation:

So one of the most common thing you hear form older folk is how the later generation takes the cake, they do this wrong, they go to the wrong music, they are not disciplined, I'd wager that's an unfair conclusion. By all accounts my generation (I'm count 1990's) at the most is only 22 year old, how much did the previous generations do at that age? Not much, they barely started voting, they cant get a potion of power, and the older generation still holds most of the power. Yes we make mistakes, yes we are immature, but that is cause we are still for all reasons babes, the OLDEST of us is barely 22, how mature where you at 22? Not very I'd wager, just by the way you guys talk of how much you felt you knew but did not in your twenty.
     So lets get down to some of the common areas of complaints. First off, not being disciplined. Yes, we dont have the same form of punishment that they used to, and some claim that thats why kids act out, but the same was said when they said you could spank but not cause them to bleed, or bruise to badly, and then some. 2nd off I want to point out there is no proof to back this up, people can claim they "see it" but I'd auger they have no way of knowing which parents do punish their kids that way and which dont, and assume the ones who don't act out are punished that way.  Even if we took this as true and that its the reason, it was not my generation that took it out, it was the last one. That is on them if true but then they blame us for it, we did not take it out, you did and raised us, so whose fault is that? We listen to bad music many say, this has been said since the dawn of time, and will be said by my generation and is even being said now, but I have to point out, it is the last generation that makes this "bad
 music" not us (We do more now, but when we started to most of it was 30 year old or so.) and again the bad music comes form the last generation, we just listen to it. Same can be said for TV, movies and anything else, its the older generation, not ours, that is causing the problem because most of us are to young to be able to
     So in conclusion, most of these "problems" we have are caused by or helped by the last generation, not mine. that's not to say we dont have problems and we don't have our fair share, we do, just many of the complaints IMO are unfounded on my generation. So I say this, can we really judge a generation when the oldest are barely adults? I'd say no, we still have a lot to learn, you cant compare us as 20 wild year olds to the 40 and mellow of the last generation, you have to compare 20 form this gen, form the last gen to be fair. Whats more is you dont know what we will do, we may be the ones that fix the economy, we may be the ones that finally get world peace, we may be the ones that one day will be the "greatest generation". I promise you, no one said that of the generation called that when they where growing up, parents still said that in their day it was better, still felt the music was to loud or wild, still felt the kids where way worse then they ever where.

The simple fact is how is my generation doing? We are still kids, wait till we get in power, wait till we have the ability to affect things before you say if we are good or bad, because no one knows what we will be, we need to mature, but thats part of life and every generation
I'm a bad speller, no amount of telling me how bad I am is going to make me better. People have been trying for over two decades. English is hard for me, its like how some cant get math, i cant get English.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: January 02, 2013, 09:56:17 am »

Copied directly from a post by Generation Alpha on facebook.  They post a lot of junk,  but sometimes some real information like this.  Just driving home the point that Gen X/Y is defined by their witness to the co-existence of two things:  unprecedented abundance and unprecedented poverty.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #188 on: January 02, 2013, 01:17:49 pm »

How's your generation doing?

Same ol', same ol'; I'm the only one with a job, none of them are married or have or want kids, and we're almost entirely disenfranchised. They are mainly career college students in only the liberalist of arts, except for the ones who are going into computer trade schools so they can make indie computer games while waiting to get a job.

That is, except for about 30% of us, who were single teenage moms who dropped out of highschool and are now well on their way to common-law marriages to some of the best meth cooks in the state.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
  • True neoliberalism has never been tried
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: January 02, 2013, 01:29:12 pm »

It does make me wonder what's going to happen once we get older.

I'm going to use the standard metric here: those who were born in the Age of Reagan (post- January 20, 1981) are the ones dealing, now, with the fallout. Our elders are, too, but we're dealing with it more than  any other generation.

In 20 years, the oldest Gen Yer (born from 1981 to 2000) will be 52; the youngest will be 33. We're starting to reach the point, now, where Gen Y isn't just a youth generation; it's starting to be seen on the very edge of the horizon of the mainstream world, and in a quarter century it will be running that world.

I think, as a result, that even if the Tea Party are stealing the spotlight now, we are going to start seeing a slow but increasingly vocal shift- starting during the administration of Obama's successor- in the national discourse.

I'd argue that not just politically but culturally, Gen Y is really radically different from its predecessors. We have the potential, and we are just now starting to realize some of it, to be one of the Greats: one of the generations that really changes how people live, think and act. I'd argue that this isn't just one factor: it's the combination of several all coming to fruition right when we got to adulthood: technology, the recession, etc. Let's go through a short list:

-What material things do we value? Well, not a car, for starters. When was the last time making it didn't mean a car? Probably about 1920. (It's been noted that the equivalent of a car for us is the smartphone).

-We don't live the way our parents and grandparents did. When was the last time making it didn't mean buying a house? 1945.

-We are- or a vocal few of us are- starting to question, if not the free market, the very foundation of how modern capitalism works (the corporation). We haven't really seen that since post-WWI, either.

-The way we love and live with each other has changed, too. Our families are jokes- our parents are divorced and we spent high school and college looking for cheap sex. We cohabit. Largely due to the recession, we do not marry. I'm willing to say this might reverse a bit in ten years, but the genie is out of the box- the question is, what kind of genie is it? And are its effects good or bad on a whole? (I have a touch of social conservatism...not social conservatism in the way the Religious Right likes to use it, though. You might say that I don't care what or who people screw around with, but I do care about why. And I think that the aforementioned changes in how we love and live with each other and start families will have massive, massive effects on society, and I'm not sure they'll all be for the good. Maybe they'll mostly be for the worse. Probably not, but we can't know until we've lived through it, will we?) Nothing like this has happened since the Lost Generation post WWI.

-We are stingy, because of the recession, and I do see a certain touch of nonmaterialism that it's nurtured: because so many of us are working shitty jobs, we value our relationships more than our stuff. We live with our parents; that will have to change in the next few years, though how or why remains to be seen. We are more socially accepting than our parents and might become more economically liberal over the next few years. We live in cities more than ever before. We value education, but, at the same time, we were told that education would get us a good job, and then we had the rug pulled out from under us.

In 2050, when the oldest of us are retired and the youngest of us are just after our peak working ages, American politics and culture will be radically different, and mostly because of those values. That seems unlikely considering the gridlock and drift to the far right we've seen recently; but that's because we haven't yet come of age. Barack Obama winning reelection was the beginning of the end for the Right, but, unfortunately, they won't be out of the picture until 2020 at least.

The real story here is that when change does start to come, starting in about 2020 or 2024, it will come remarkably quickly: the 2020s and 2030s will be an era of political progress and cultural and social upheaval on a par with the postwar period or the Progressive era, and it will come because, all of a sudden, the old fogeys now running the show in culture and government will die or retire and be replaced by bright young things.

</inane babbling>
« Last Edit: January 02, 2013, 01:51:32 pm by dhokarena56 »

@Footjob, you can microwave most grains I've tried pretty easily through the microwave, even if they aren't packaged for it.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: January 02, 2013, 01:34:54 pm »

Except that there are plenty of conservatives among Gen Y as well. It's not like the College Republicans winked out of existence as Gen Y made their way through the system.

And then there's the Paulites, who have quite a few youngsters in their ranks.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
  • True neoliberalism has never been tried
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: January 02, 2013, 01:56:31 pm »

Except that there are plenty of conservatives among Gen Y as well. It's not like the College Republicans winked out of existence as Gen Y made their way through the system.

Yes, but they won't be running the show- as usual with conservatives in liberal eras, they'll be useful, reasoned counterweights to make sure the rest of us don't spend into the ground. And social conservatism in 2050 or even 2025 won't be social conservatism today.

I do think that one thing that hasn't happened has been a big event that really overshadows the generation. The recession has squeezed us and made us into who we are, but thanks to the bailouts, it wasn't as bad as it could have been. In other words, we haven't really been refined into the generation that will be running things in 2040. The recession has made us into ore, but we've yet to go through the crucible.

What will the crucible be? Probably it will be economic. It could have happened two nights ago; if the Tea Party had sent us into a big recession, there'd not only be more anger and frustration than there was before, but it would be blindingly obvious who was responsible. But it could still happen. The Eurozone is still vulnerable, for example.

@Footjob, you can microwave most grains I've tried pretty easily through the microwave, even if they aren't packaged for it.

Lich180

• Bay Watcher
  • Avatar by PlutoniumApe, "Urist McGuyFieri"
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: January 02, 2013, 03:15:36 pm »

The democrats are just as responsible for the current economic mess America is in, and it doesn't help that the way our system works is the ones in power do what they want for 2 years, then get denied everything for 2 years. Each party defies the others wishes when they can, and that causes gridlock in times of crisis.

Scoops Novel

• Bay Watcher
  • Talismanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: January 02, 2013, 04:44:45 pm »

On that note, I'll be surprised if a chunk of the third world today isn't significantly more powerful in 2050, and social liberalism will be much slower there.
Reading a thinner book

Arcjolt (useful) Chilly The Endoplasm Jiggles

Hums with potential    a flying minotaur

Hiiri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: January 02, 2013, 05:40:37 pm »

I could go protest, but all that will accomplish is media harassment and everyone ignoring me, until I get enough people behind me (those crazy squatters in Central Park come to mind) and even then all you get is ridicule. Why try?

You know why Occupy Wall Street was a joke? There was no threat of violence. You're not going to make a person stop pissing on you by chanting: "Peaceful protest! Peaceful protest!"
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 33