Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: why I have bad English. As well as what can I do about it?  (Read 3803 times)

Wolfy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: why I have bad English. As well as what can I do about it?
« Reply #15 on: December 22, 2012, 04:16:23 am »

Z sounds like G every time form me

Also, my jaw may be  a problem, I can pop it at will... not sure if thats a "bad thing" per say but I think it may cause some problems
I'm a bad speller, no amount of telling me how bad I am is going to make me better. People have been trying for over two decades. English is hard for me, its like how some cant get math, i cant get English.

Thecard

• Bay Watcher
  • Back in With the Old!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 22, 2012, 04:18:46 am »

Also, my jaw may be  a problem, I can pop it at will... not sure if thats a "bad thing" per say but I think it may cause some problems
That... that does sound like something you might want to bring up with your doctor.  :P  Just maybe.

For me, it's just misaligned.

I think the slaughter part is what made them angry.
OOC: Dachshundofdoom: This is how the world ends, not with a bang but with goddamn VUVUZELAS.
Those hookers aren't getting out any time soon, no matter how many fancy gadgets they have :v

Seriyu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Springless Clock
« Reply #17 on: December 22, 2012, 05:12:15 am »

I know a person with dyslexia and I don't... think she takes medication for it, she's visiting here pretty soon, I might ask her about that. In fact, I think I'll toss her an E-mail now. From what I understand she just learned to deal with it. I dunno how early they caught it, that probably helps quite a bit if it was early.

I'd imagine it's just a case of learning a way around it. And while I know it's hard, it's a concept I've grappled with a lot, try to stop even saying or thinking "I can't", it's surprising how much a change of attitude can twist around your results. It's be a long term thing, but ya gotta try to not get defeated. I found my mood and self confidence improving a lot when I would like, interrupt myself when I was putting myself down or whatever. It's odd but it works!

EDIT: Now that I reread the thread I see you were better about saying "I can't" and such then I recalled, so good on you, nevermind. Still good to keep in mind, but still. :P

I'll be tossing the E-mail out tomorrow so maybe something'll come of that.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2012, 05:34:56 am by Seriyu »

Grek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 22, 2012, 06:34:01 am »

I can confirm that this is, in fact, a bad thingtm. My jaw used to do this and complications due to it made me partially deaf in one ear and was the source of chronic pain for me for a long time. You should most definitely get that looked at.

eerr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 22, 2012, 09:03:51 am »

What are you good at?

Wolfy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 22, 2012, 09:31:26 am »

Music, story (not counting the spelling or speech just the story's them self)
I play guitar and piano.
those are just the two that Reilly stick out

I'm a bad speller, no amount of telling me how bad I am is going to make me better. People have been trying for over two decades. English is hard for me, its like how some cant get math, i cant get English.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 22, 2012, 09:38:59 am »

those are just the two that Reilly stick out

Tip: whenever you use your spell-checker to correct a word, check if it changed it to the right one. This is something that seems to happen  lot to you.
(also, proofread, there were five very stupid mistakes in the above sentence because my typing skills are absolutely horrible)

Wolfy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 22, 2012, 09:48:17 am »

i do proof read, and I DONT see a problem, when I read, even if its misspell wrong or if its another word due to context my brain "reads it right"

So if you put donuts, with out the s (because i cant seem to find how to spell the other) I'd read it as dont if the right word was sopoused to be dont

so you could misspell almost every word and IT DONT phase me, I'm good at reading misspell and getting what the person wanted, more so for me
so if you give me someone else wrongly slept, typo full book I'd read it form cover to cover no problem

of course there are limits to this, the world dose have to be in the ball park

Leatra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 22, 2012, 10:07:15 am »

Well, whenever I spell (or write) something wrong, it stands out for me when I take a look at the sentence but if the same thing doesn't happen to you...

Get a spell-checker. I have a spell-checker integrated in my web browser. I usually get the correct words like that. I just wrote "intergrated" and the spell-checker fixed it for me. But don't just fix the words, see your mistakes. Compare your mistake to the correct words and understand what your mistake was.

Dyslexia might not be the problem. Maybe you aren't just good at English. It's not the end of the world (that was yesterday) and you can definitely improve your English. If you don't see your mistakes, practicing will mean nothing and of course your English will suck.

Thecard

• Bay Watcher
  • Back in With the Old!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 22, 2012, 12:57:05 pm »

I'm the other way around.  I can usually figure out how a sentence should be just by looking at it.  I think reading a lot (too much, honestly) at an early age just programmed my brain to think that way. 
But... It's not very fun to be anal about English.

You know how aggravating it is to read a good book by a good author and get caught up on him writing "so" instead of "to" or some such?  Fucking very.
It's also a pain in the ass when texting.  I can't send messages that don't have capitalization, punctuation, and correctly spelled words.  I have trouble reading those kind of messages too.

Probably not as tough as you have it though.  Just another side of the spectrum, I suppose.

I think the slaughter part is what made them angry.
OOC: Dachshundofdoom: This is how the world ends, not with a bang but with goddamn VUVUZELAS.
Those hookers aren't getting out any time soon, no matter how many fancy gadgets they have :v

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 22, 2012, 02:13:18 pm »

Sounds like a learning disability

Delayed Language skills.

What can you do about it? Practice and a lot of effort.

Seriyu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Springless Clock
« Reply #26 on: December 23, 2012, 10:10:25 pm »

Tossed an E-mail at her, she didn't want to talk about it and I'm not one to force it so, sorry bout that. She did mention they caught it early though, so that probably helped.

Basically backing up everyone's advice, read a lot, try to read aloud a lot, if you can't get a certain sentence or whatever run it by someone online or otherwise to point out what you should be doing. Gonna be an uphill battle but I'm sure it's doable! Good luck to ya!

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 23, 2012, 10:26:22 pm »

As far as I know, medication is not used to treat dyslexia. My grandfather has it and I know he doesn't take any medication for it (and I have some weird thing where I occasionally read numbers entirely wrong, but that's probably unrelated). Dyslexia management usually involves using non-standard reading and writing methodologies to circumvent the malfunctioning ones.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

fqllve

• Bay Watcher
  • (grammar) anarcho-communist
    • View Profile
    • ufowitch
« Reply #28 on: December 24, 2012, 06:44:06 am »

Dyslexia definitely isn't medicated. Generally it is, like most people have said, going to require a lot of practice. I'll suggest the same, but with one caveat. Get a tutor. If you are actually dyslexic (which I would guess you are, but I'm not a trained professional) you are almost certainly going to require assistance because it is pretty much impossible to teach yourself something when your brain is actively working against learning it. If you can't even see where you're wrong, how can you be expected to correct it? So get a tutor, because not only will they be able to show you your mistakes and how to fix them, but they will also have tools and methods specifically to designed to help you overcome any problems you might be having. Learning disabilities are not really something you can correct on your own, and not without a lot of hard work.

I don't really have any advice on how to find a tutor, because I don't really know. But I know they exist and you should be able to find one on the internet.
You don't use freedom Penguin. First you demand it, then you have it.
No using. That's not what freedom is for.
Pages: 1 [2]