Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 36

Author Topic: Humans, and eventually a colony on Mars.  (Read 65587 times)

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
Re: Humans, and eventually a colony on Mars.
« Reply #255 on: December 31, 2012, 05:22:22 pm »

Well, not much can stop it except sheer mass. The Earth's athmosphere is 1 kg/cm^2, so even to get half of the protection (Which would be equivalent to being at 5000m high on earth, so livable), you'd need 5m of waters all around your station. Not going to work.
Why not? All you need is lots of water.

Hold on...planning...10-meter-deep hydroponics tanks...how fast does a half-kilometer-diameter disk need to spin to give 1 G of gravity about 2/3 of the way out?

whatabout food? isint the current plan for a mars ship to have people live within their stacks of food?
Maybe, but I think that hydroponics would work better.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #256 on: December 31, 2012, 05:40:18 pm »

Well, all that water has to be put in orbit.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #257 on: December 31, 2012, 05:43:51 pm »

we would probably need all that water, and probably at least twice as much so that recycling systems can work.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #258 on: December 31, 2012, 06:48:55 pm »

You don't understand how much water this is. Since we've been talking about mile-wide station, let us imagine one 1km across, in a ribbon 50 m wide and 5 m high. That's around 3 km of circumpherence, 150 000 sq. m of surface. If you want to have a 5m wall of water all around, you'd need twice that plus some stuff for the 6 m of wall, so around 2*150000*5+2*5*3000*5=1.650.000 cubic meters of water. That's 1.650.000 tons you have to pu in orbit. And why on earth would you need over 1.5 billion liters of water?

Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

vadia

• Bay Watcher
  • tacky picture given the forum; I know.
    • View Profile
« Reply #259 on: December 31, 2012, 07:17:24 pm »

I don't know how much you've got in asteroids and comets, but that may be a good start.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #260 on: December 31, 2012, 07:23:09 pm »

to make ice.

im sorry, that was annoying of me.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

Flare

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #261 on: December 31, 2012, 08:02:15 pm »

Ice is nice for in an emergency, but I think it might be a bit cheaper to put together some lightweight, more durable, and cheaply made plating in normal situations. Decreasing the weight of the station is a concern, especially if trajectory or rotation corrections are routinely needed.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #262 on: December 31, 2012, 08:06:15 pm »

Well that's the other advantage of just flinging bulk ore into space.  The iron goes into the structure while the waste goes to the radiation shield.  But as a short term solution just keep the colony inside the earth's magnetosphere.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #263 on: December 31, 2012, 09:04:07 pm »

You don't understand how much water this is. Since we've been talking about mile-wide station, let us imagine one 1km across, in a ribbon 50 m wide and 5 m high. That's around 3 km of circumpherence, 150 000 sq. m of surface. If you want to have a 5m wall of water all around, you'd need twice that plus some stuff for the 6 m of wall, so around 2*150000*5+2*5*3000*5=1.650.000 cubic meters of water. That's 1.650.000 tons you have to pu in orbit. And why on earth would you need over 1.5 billion liters of water?
You're taking me far too seriously.
...And that number might not be too crazy. Two sources I found suggested water useage of ~60 gallons per person or ~400 gallons per family. Assuming a family of 2 parents and 2 children (to account for households with more children and fewer parents), a very rough but conservative answer of 75 gallons per person per day. That's around 300 liters. Assuming that half of the water is not used for everyday household purposes, and that the water recycling techniques can only recycle 1/10 of the total water supply per day, that's 6,000 liters or so needed in storage per person, so it would...um...never mind. I'm too proud of this math to discard it, darn it!

Well that's the other advantage of just flinging bulk ore into space.  The iron goes into the structure while the waste goes to the radiation shield.
Hm.

But as a short term solution just keep the colony inside the earth's magnetosphere.
Very short-term.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #264 on: December 31, 2012, 09:38:33 pm »

Space colonization is a game of decades in the opening stage...
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #265 on: January 01, 2013, 12:34:33 am »

Guess what? We're decades into the opening stages.
Sig

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #266 on: January 01, 2013, 01:14:41 am »

We're decades into exploration, not colonization.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #267 on: January 01, 2013, 01:21:08 am »

We're decades into exploration, not colonization.
Esploration is step 1 of colonijaton.

...I need sleep.
Sig

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #268 on: January 01, 2013, 02:38:59 am »

Well, even in LEO (Like the ISS) people still get 120 mSv a day. It could be lowered by a strictly equatorial orbit, but it'd still wouldn't be an healthy level.

Also you can't have lighter plating. Because the only thing stopping them damn ray is mass. Oh, and if your shielding is too thin, you actually make thing worse, because you increase the amount of secondary radiation.

So again, given the problems of station colonies, why ot just colonize the moon?

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #269 on: January 01, 2013, 07:07:13 am »

for space trash being tracked: no it is not. they keep finding more and more pieces, and since a screw going fast enough can destroy a satellite, i think you get the picture.
and the levels are increasing.
NASA. Besides, technically a fleck of paint is enough to damage a sattelite. However,  a spaceelevator is a serveral cm thick rope made from nanocarbontubes, possibly in an iron alloy. It can whistand a bit more punishment, and even if it should be severed, there's a good chance it can be recovered before it comes crashing down(Though, really it'll just burn up harmlessly).

Effeciency losses do add up though. Also, I made some calculations once for orbital power plants, and they don't ever come out energy efficient. Not with current technology. You'd need hyperefficient pannels (60% or more), hyperlightweight pannels, and hyperefficient transmission. Remember that the transmission calls for 1km diameter recievers.
I'd be interested to see your math.
Well, let's see. Normal solar pannels weight 20 kg per kilowatt production. Expected lifetime is less than a decade. As such, a 4 GigaWatt station would weight 80.000 metric tonnes. Just solar pannels alone, no supporting structure or anything at all. Assuming we can dump that in LEo, which we can't, and we do it with cheapest, most efficient heavy load rocket (Falcon Heavy (in development) at the moment). We still need at least 1509 rockets. Each costing 125 million dollars. Coming up at 188.625 billion dollars total. (Launchcost of panels only)  While that's not energy efficiency; I think I made my point.

Actually, probably not.
-Energy produced: 4GW*85%(transmission losses)* 10 years = 1072224 terrajoules
-Energy used: Is hard to find, because I only get thrust, not joules. So let's just go for economical viability then. Energy cost about 40 euro per Megawatt hour. Meaning that your solar pannel nets you 1191,360  million dollars

You're taking me far too seriously.
...And that number might not be too crazy. Two sources I found suggested water useage of ~60 gallons per person or ~400 gallons per family. Assuming a family of 2 parents and 2 children (to account for households with more children and fewer parents), a very rough but conservative answer of 75 gallons per person per day. That's around 300 liters. Assuming that half of the water is not used for everyday household purposes, and that the water recycling techniques can only recycle 1/10 of the total water supply per day, that's 6,000 liters or so needed in storage per person, so it would...um...never mind. I'm too proud of this math to discard it, darn it!
Modern day Recycling systems have 99% efficiency.

As for cosmic rays. They're (mostly) composed of very high energy particles. And
Of primary cosmic rays, about 99% are the nuclei (stripped of their electron shells) of well-known atoms, and about 1% are solitary electrons (similar to beta particles). Of the nuclei, about 90% are simple protons, i. e. hydrogen nuclei; 9% are helium nuclei or alpha particles, and 1% are the nuclei of heavier elements

All these are sharged particles. Meaning that you can use a magnetic shield to deflect them.
Still need to worry about X-rays and gamma rays and stuff though.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2013, 07:35:45 am by 10ebbor10 »
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 36