Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 36

Author Topic: Humans, and eventually a colony on Mars.  (Read 65518 times)

Thecard

• Bay Watcher
  • Back in With the Old!
    • View Profile
Re: Humans, and eventually a colony on Mars.
« Reply #135 on: December 27, 2012, 03:34:40 pm »

They are?  How are you sure?

I think the slaughter part is what made them angry.
OOC: Dachshundofdoom: This is how the world ends, not with a bang but with goddamn VUVUZELAS.
Those hookers aren't getting out any time soon, no matter how many fancy gadgets they have :v

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: December 27, 2012, 03:35:40 pm »

i think i read it somewhere...

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: December 27, 2012, 03:41:42 pm »

I would have thought that, no matter what, the whole station would stop rotating after a while. I brought this up earlier, and it wasn't addressed.
Because it's so obvious that it's hard to find the words to address it.  An object rotating in a vacuum doesn't stop rotating after a while.  What do you want us to say?  Take physics 101?
It just seems like it would be violating thermodynamics. Gravity and the stuff imitating it is basically acceleration, and it doesn't seem like you should be able to set up a source of infinite acceleration in the opposite direction of gravity without constantly inputting at least some energy.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: December 27, 2012, 03:42:56 pm »

not for acceleration.
its a newton's law.
Highly Opinionated Fool

Thecard

• Bay Watcher
  • Back in With the Old!
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: December 27, 2012, 03:56:40 pm »

Constant speed is not acceleration.  Acceleration and deceleration are deviations from constant speed, through action on a body.

Constant motion is perpetual motion.  Gravity is one example of an uneven force that stops movement.
On that note, in zero-g environments, motion is constant.  Deceleration will only occur through friction and shit.

But zero-g is impossible, there will always be some kind of gravitational pull, though it may be almost completely non-existent.  So yes, it should stop because of gravity.  A vacuum does not mean an absence of gravity, last I checked.

OOC: Dachshundofdoom: This is how the world ends, not with a bang but with goddamn VUVUZELAS.
Those hookers aren't getting out any time soon, no matter how many fancy gadgets they have :v

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: December 27, 2012, 04:05:01 pm »

yes.
Highly Opinionated Fool

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: December 27, 2012, 04:12:26 pm »

Okay, I misunderstood the Laws of Thermodynamics then.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: December 27, 2012, 04:16:47 pm »

* kaijyuu twitches at the word "deceleration."

It's acceleration no matter what! :( "Slowing down" is just a frame of reference thing; no matter what, it's accelerating if it changes speeds.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: December 27, 2012, 04:17:29 pm »

... or direction. Velocity is a vector people!
This is a blank sig.

Thecard

• Bay Watcher
  • Back in With the Old!
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: December 27, 2012, 04:31:59 pm »

Ah.  Again, I'm not very good at this.  I just felt like people were forgetting there are other unequal forces besides friction.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: December 27, 2012, 04:50:21 pm »

But zero-g is impossible, there will always be some kind of gravitational pull, though it may be almost completely non-existent.  So yes, it should stop because of gravity.  A vacuum does not mean an absence of gravity, last I checked.

When was the last time you felt the gravitational effects of the sun?  They are stronger then the effects of the earth where you are sitting right now.  But you feel the gravity of the earth not the sun because the earth is pushing back against you while you are in free orbit around the earth.  A zero-g environment doesn't mean no gravity, it means no normal force due to gravity.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Thecard

• Bay Watcher
  • Back in With the Old!
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: December 27, 2012, 05:32:50 pm »

When was the last time you felt the gravitational effects of the sun?  They are stronger then the effects of the earth where you are sitting right now.  But you feel the gravity of the earth not the sun because the earth is pushing back against you while you are in free orbit around the earth.  A zero-g environment doesn't mean no gravity, it means no normal force due to gravity.
Earth's gravity is affecting me much more than the Sun's gravity.  This is illustrated by me not flying towards a fiery gaseous death.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: December 27, 2012, 05:35:04 pm »

and the earth is affected by the sun's gravity, but it is negated by the speed it is falling twards it.
Highly Opinionated Fool

Flare

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: December 27, 2012, 10:10:58 pm »

simpler would be to dock in the middle

That was what my entire posts have been recommending :o.

I can easily see a problem with the 'whole station is rotating' idea.

Namely, it's be harder for something to dock with it. Not impossible, but a lot harder.
It's be like Elite. A lot of dying. Or at least, it would be like that with me.

Why not have the dock in the middle of the flywheel. The docking apparatus just needs to be place on ball bearings and a motor to counter act the small amount of friction and you now a stationary, self adjustable dock.
Friction. Unless you want to spend a load of fuel keeping the station rotating, the central part will, eventually, slow down the whole station.

It is true, movement inside of this ring craft will have a bearing on whether it keeps spinning or not. The donut hole dock in the middle is no exception. The important thing to keep in mind is that rotating on an axis in a near zero gravity environment can be achieve easily by using gyros. In other words, the mechanisms that keep vehicles that shouldn't be standing up, standing up. Like the things in segways, and the one wheeled bike. If you have a power generator on board the ring-craft, powering gyros would not be a problem. As such, whatever small constant force is causing it to slow down can be counteracted.

They don't turn rotation among the axes into forward momentum though, doing so would violate physics. It's like as if I were floating in near zero-g and I rapidly swing my legs about. I can't change my trajectory or anything if there's no air for me to push myself from, but I will be able to cause myself to spin myself.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2012, 10:14:08 pm by Flare »

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: December 27, 2012, 10:32:10 pm »

Problem is, on Earth it's drowned out by the Earth's gravity, analogous to how the Sun's light drowns out the starlight in the daytime.
Actually being in outer space lets those distant things affect you more. A LOT more; if you're several thousand miles above Earth's surface, Earth's gravity is only about a quarter as strong, and around the Moon's orbit it's hundreds of times weaker.

They don't turn rotation among the axes into forward momentum though, doing so would violate physics. It's like as if I were floating in near zero-g and I rapidly swing my legs about. I can't change my trajectory or anything if there's no air for me to push myself from, but I will be able to cause myself to spin myself.
Which leads me to further confusion for me...
How exactly can you simulate the acceleration from gravity, against the pull of real gravity, without expending any energy?
Sig
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 36