Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Goblin pit  (Read 1911 times)

ikachan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Goblin pit
« on: December 20, 2012, 12:36:04 pm »

When ever I get a siege the goblins seem to bring large numbers so my solution is just to drop them in my pit. There is approximately 100 goblins, 50 cave crocodiles and 25 trolls. So I have more creatures in my pit than I have dwarves in my fortress. But the question is how do I deal with them? I can't flood the place because the crocs would survive and I can't cause a cave in above them because there's not enough rock to drop on them.
My plan was to filter out the building destroyers and then catch the rest in cages.
Or I could just get my archers to shoot them from high above.
What do you guys think?

FrisianDude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Goblin pit
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2012, 12:39:57 pm »

Marksdwarf practice is certainly your easiest option (unless there are shooters in that pit). You could also tunnel a funnel towards them and litter it with disctraps before opening it to the pit.
A tiny, foul-tempered humanoid creature that dwells in the evil mountains. They are known to enjoy drinking liquor and will take any unguarded supplies of booze.

VerdantSF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2012, 01:17:48 pm »

+1 for the marksdwarf suggestion. What's your FPS at?
« Last Edit: December 20, 2012, 01:34:31 pm by VerdantSF »

Vodrilus

• Bay Watcher
  • Has been forced to endure NaNoWriMo failure.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2012, 01:19:25 pm »

You could build, say, a dodge-me ziggurat that they would have to climb in order to escape. With ~175 captives clawing their way up and tumbling down it might prove rather amusing. :P
Going backwards in reversed time (just like everybody else).

Lord_Phoenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2012, 01:28:32 pm »

How deep is the pit?

Drop stuff on them from large heights.

ikachan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2012, 01:44:34 pm »

The pit is only 5-levels deep and I just had a Cyclops appear on the map. If I throw him down there too will he attack the goblins?

FrisianDude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2012, 01:48:54 pm »

I'm tentatively going to guess yes. But I'm not sure.
A tiny, foul-tempered humanoid creature that dwells in the evil mountains. They are known to enjoy drinking liquor and will take any unguarded supplies of booze.

Kaitlyn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2012, 01:49:24 pm »

I agree with marksdwarf practice. Also, even if there are bowgoblins in the pit if you set up a fortification to cut down on the chance of your dwarves being hit too directly you could still do it while also training medical dwarves from the shots that do connect. After a bit of a double-check, elite bowgoblins can shoot through fortifications perfectly fine. Only use the pit for marksdwarf practice if there aren't any in it. Normal bowgoblins are fine though, they can't shoot through fortifications at range period.

iyaerP

• Bay Watcher
  • has mandated the production of 3 gold shields.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2012, 01:51:32 pm »

Put siege engines outside of effective bowgoblin range thur a number of fortifications, and have htem just thin the crowd.

Or use a dwarven shotgun. that way you don't risk any dorfs to retaliatory fire from inside at all.
Christ, are you dwarves or are you elves? If you think Hell has too many demons, then youkill them till the population reaches an acceptable number.
Dwarf Fortress: So horrifying the players would rather talk about nice things, like Warhammer 40k.

ikachan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2012, 01:58:40 pm »

I've tried shooting them from the top of the pit and there are crossbow goblins in the pit. They don't seem to shoot back though. My theory is that due to gravity they can't shoot up that high but because I'm shooting down it means that I can shoot them but they can't shoot me.

ikachan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2012, 02:10:27 pm »

I've also have 2 FB in my 2nd and 3rd caverns. Maybe I should dig them a tunnel where I can trap them in the pit too.

mscantrell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2012, 02:13:32 pm »

I've tried shooting them from the top of the pit and there are crossbow goblins in the pit. They don't seem to shoot back though. My theory is that due to gravity they can't shoot up that high but because I'm shooting down it means that I can shoot them but they can't shoot me.

My bet would be, they're out of ammo.
MSCantrell cancels Work:  Interrupted by Bay12 forums.

Tirion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2012, 02:24:03 pm »

My bet would be, they're out of ammo.

This. Up vs down isn't incorporated in range at all.

As for the solution- the cyclops is too weak for that. Even FBs need to be pretty hardcore to manage armed 100 goblins.
"Fools dig for water, corpses, or gold. The earth's real treasure is far deeper."

FrisianDude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2012, 02:27:11 pm »

fairly sure five levels is something they can shoot.

nbp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 20, 2012, 03:07:21 pm »

If the "SIEGE" alert isn't there any more, then any goblins left on the map are only concerned with leaving the map, not with attacking your dwarves.  These guys are stuck in a pit, and so unable to really leave, but they still won't attack your dwarves.  They may still counterattack, if a melee dwarf takes a swing at them.  But I don't think that there's any mechanism for ranged counterattacks.
Pages: [1] 2