Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Customer of the Day  (Read 1853 times)

Jimmy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Customer of the Day
« on: December 20, 2012, 06:35:47 am »

I work in retail. I'm sure there's others here too. If you're one, you have my sympathy. If you're not, pray you never do.

This thread is here to award those customers who, through their unique distinction of being the bane of service personnel everywhere, deserve special recognition.

My award for today goes to a special lady. Time had not been kind to her. The drugs even less so. In her mid thirties, she already had the face of a fifty year old. She'd dropped her script into our pharmacy today before going out for a chat with her special friend outside. Unfortunately for her, this chat happened to be within earshot of one of our friendly mall cops. She comes back into the store and takes a seat, freshly rolled wad of fifty dollar notes in hand. A few short minutes later, our friendly mall cop has arrived with his friendly police constable to have a friendly chat with our customer. We present her with her medications, minus one.

She stares at me with incomprehension when she asks, "Why can't I have pseudoephedrine?"

A short conversation later and she leaves the store with her two new friends. I feel sincere regret for the suffering her sinuses will no doubt endure, but feel powerless to assist her plight as "nothing else works." In the back of my mind I don't doubt her words, as I'm sure none of the other products I offer could be converted into methamphetamines. Her prescriber is left with a short message explaining the events of the day.

Another day in retail.

Lightningfalcon

• Bay Watcher
  • Target locked. Firing main cannon.
    • View Profile
Re: Customer of the Day
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2012, 06:52:43 am »

Have you ever been to NotAlwaysRight?  It is full of stories like this. 
Unfortunately I have nothing to offer thou in terms of actual experiences. 
Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum circo vincendarum
W-we just... wanted our...
Actually most of the people here explicitly wanted chaos and tragedy. So. Uh.

UristMcAwesome

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2012, 07:32:53 am »

My first job (of which I was recently 'let go' from too 'reduce redundancies') was working at Best Buy. I'm eighteen, so still pretty new to this whole dealing with assholes because I need money for gas and food thing. I worked in the Computers/Laptops section, selling overpriced paperweights to technophobic old people. I made ten dollars an hour, which for my first job is pretty good in my opinion. But it wasn't always easy...

One day an adorable older couple came in asking what's a good laptop for their 15 year old grandson who likes to play WoW ("That world warcraft game with the green people"). Typically when selling electronics to non-knowledgeable customers, we're expected to persuade them to purchase something our of their price range. When I suggested a gaming laptop for around 1600 USD, they said "Oh no, our budget is 600, we really can't pay more than 700 though, because of the cancer treatment." My manager is standing over within earshot of this conversation, by the way, and he gives me the look that means "Keep pushing"

I am a reasonably moral person, so no, I didn't have them buy some gaming laptop their grandson probably didn't need for World of Warcraft (a decidedly low demand game for any modern platform). After they had purchased their reasonably priced 750 dollar laptop (that CAN run WoW on atleast medium settings), my manager came up and chewed me out verbally about how I didn't make a good sale. What? Her husband is having cancer treatment, you heartless asshole :L

dei

• Bay Watcher
  • Someone.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2012, 12:26:57 pm »

My first job (of which I was recently 'let go' from too 'reduce redundancies') was working at Best Buy. I'm eighteen, so still pretty new to this whole dealing with assholes because I need money for gas and food thing. I worked in the Computers/Laptops section, selling overpriced paperweights to technophobic old people. I made ten dollars an hour, which for my first job is pretty good in my opinion. But it wasn't always easy...

One day an adorable older couple came in asking what's a good laptop for their 15 year old grandson who likes to play WoW ("That world warcraft game with the green people"). Typically when selling electronics to non-knowledgeable customers, we're expected to persuade them to purchase something our of their price range. When I suggested a gaming laptop for around 1600 USD, they said "Oh no, our budget is 600, we really can't pay more than 700 though, because of the cancer treatment." My manager is standing over within earshot of this conversation, by the way, and he gives me the look that means "Keep pushing"

I am a reasonably moral person, so no, I didn't have them buy some gaming laptop their grandson probably didn't need for World of Warcraft (a decidedly low demand game for any modern platform). After they had purchased their reasonably priced 750 dollar laptop (that CAN run WoW on atleast medium settings), my manager came up and chewed me out verbally about how I didn't make a good sale. What? Her husband is having cancer treatment, you heartless asshole :L
You're a good, kind person for having such compassion towards that sweet old couple. Your manager however needs to take a long walk off a short pier for being a damn dirty capitalist.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2012, 02:07:38 pm »

And THAT's why I don't buy anything technical from Best Buy (your manager, not you). Or really any other retail outlet. I occasionally hit the nearby TigerDirect if it's something cheap like a peripheral that I need right away.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Thecard

• Bay Watcher
  • Back in With the Old!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2012, 02:16:53 pm »

And THAT's why I don't buy anything technical from Best Buy (your manager, not you). Or really any other retail outlet. I occasionally hit the nearby TigerDirect if it's something cheap like a peripheral that I need right away.
Pssh,  ::) I love being cheated out of money I need for life-saving surgery.  I'd totally come back, if I managed to pay my hospital bills.

Seriously, what a dick.

I think the slaughter part is what made them angry.
OOC: Dachshundofdoom: This is how the world ends, not with a bang but with goddamn VUVUZELAS.
Those hookers aren't getting out any time soon, no matter how many fancy gadgets they have :v

fqllve

• Bay Watcher
  • (grammar) anarcho-communist
    • View Profile
    • ufowitch
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2012, 04:30:00 pm »

I used to work at a gas station and once had a customer ask to see my ID before I sold him alcohol, because he didn't think I was old enough to.

That day I sent a 40 year-old man home without beer because he didn't have his ID.
You don't use freedom Penguin. First you demand it, then you have it.
No using. That's not what freedom is for.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2012, 04:32:32 pm »

You ask 40-year olds for their ID? 0_o

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2012, 04:33:23 pm »

I think  legally you need to ask anyone who looks above 45 of their ID where I live at least.

fqllve

• Bay Watcher
  • (grammar) anarcho-communist
    • View Profile
    • ufowitch
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2012, 04:34:36 pm »

You ask 40-year olds for their ID? 0_o
Only when they ask for mine first.

I think  legally you need to ask anyone who looks above 45 of their ID where I live at least.
It's 27 for cigarettes federally, I think, but my store's rule was anyone under 35.
You don't use freedom Penguin. First you demand it, then you have it.
No using. That's not what freedom is for.

DarkWolfXV

• Bay Watcher
  • Infernally rotten to the gore.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2012, 04:40:00 pm »

What is this sorcery, so 45+ olds cant buy beer? Well at least i know of no such thing in Poland.
Goats will ignore your grass and eat the neighbours' roses. They're just evil bastards like that.
Probably thats why they are used with pentagrams on covers of Satanic Black Metal albums.
BURNING SHIT AND EATING ROOSESSSSSS DDOFOFAOAARRRAHYYYE

Thecard

• Bay Watcher
  • Back in With the Old!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2012, 04:41:13 pm »

You mean "less than 45," right?

I think the slaughter part is what made them angry.
OOC: Dachshundofdoom: This is how the world ends, not with a bang but with goddamn VUVUZELAS.
Those hookers aren't getting out any time soon, no matter how many fancy gadgets they have :v

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2012, 04:46:49 pm »

Yes. Sorry. Although what I said might not be a bad idea as well.

Caz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:comforting whirs]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2012, 04:55:07 pm »

Around here we have the "challenge 25" thing for alcohol and smokes. You can buy at 18, but if you look under 25 they ask for ID. It stops a lot of the "teenager but looks like he's in his 30's" crowd.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 20, 2012, 05:02:45 pm »

I've never worked retail, but I have some stories from my short-lived cable days.

Like, the woman who wanted to know how to use the parental restriction controls so her adult son who lived in a tent in the back yard couldn't watch anything violent or sexual.
Or the African-American couple who, upon being asked to tie their (very large and angry) dog up somewhere out of the way, immediately accused me of being racist and demanded to speak to my manager. Manager told me to leave after speaking to them for a few minutes.
Or perhaps the duplex which, thanks to poor placement of the main cable line in relation to the fusebox (where we were required by law to ground the cable) required well over two hundred feet of line just on the outside of the building.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread
Pages: [1] 2