Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: GoG End of The World Super Sale!!  (Read 1690 times)

ZebAbirul

• Bay Watcher
  • Friendly neighborhood lurking extraordinaire
    • View Profile
GoG End of The World Super Sale!!
« on: December 20, 2012, 01:40:52 am »

I thought I would share this awesome sale with you guys seeing as some of you are into retro games x3

There are a crazy amount of sales going on right now over at GoG. (http://www.gog.com/) Including a sale on almost all Might and Magic games, some great retro city builder/ city management games and lots and lots more.

The only downside I can see is that there is only about 8 hours left at the time of this post.

BuriBuriZaemon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: GoG End of The World Super Sale!!
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2012, 04:45:35 am »

Thanks for the info!

Call me crazy but I used to play Might and Magic 8 (nope, not Heroes of Might and Magic) and I... liked it. Was that game the best in Might and Magic series? I read about Might and Magic 5 and 6 being the best. Can anyone shed light on this?
Napalm is great if you enjoy hot and spicy foods. I personally enjoy some liquid nitrogen.

Steam profile: Elsior
Friend Code: 2938 - 7181 - 3815 (Elsior/Elle Ciel)

Silfurdreki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2012, 05:44:54 am »

I've played 7 and 8, and I think both are really good, but 7 inches ahead a bit. 7 has a bit better story and a quite different world from 7, but on the other hand, 8 has more interesting player character classes and characters (you can get a freaking dragon as a party member, being just as hilariously overpowered as you'd expect). Take your pick as to which you prefer.

I've never played 5 or 6, but I've also heard that six is the best one. I might look into it at some point.
Entropy is not what it used to be.

BuriBuriZaemon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2012, 06:31:57 am »

Thanks for the info. And yes I remember that dragon, lol.

Could you play after ending in these games?
Napalm is great if you enjoy hot and spicy foods. I personally enjoy some liquid nitrogen.

Steam profile: Elsior
Friend Code: 2938 - 7181 - 3815 (Elsior/Elle Ciel)

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2012, 06:45:17 am »

Does the might and magic sale give you steam keys? And are they individual ones?

Catastrophic lolcats

• Bay Watcher
  • [FORTRESSDESTROYER:2]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2012, 06:48:21 am »

Does the might and magic sale give you steam keys? And are they individual ones?
GOG is completely DRM free. No steam keys at all for any reason. The games are linked to your GOG account and I imagine the games can be downloaded in a "bundle" where you can choose to install which ever you want.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2012, 06:52:31 am »

The reason I want Steam keys is because having all my games grouped in one place makes me 'notice' the one I wouldn't otherwise buy/play.
I just realized that that doesn't matter in this case, I am going to buy ~20 games now anyway :P

edit: DOLLARS! yessss.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2012, 06:55:53 am »

Holy shit. Some of these bundles...

Like that Bullfrog bundle. I think I'm about to make a GoG account just for that.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2012, 06:57:28 am »

Just did that. Although I only bought Theme hospital and DK2.
Can anyone confirm the awesomeness of this bundle?

Silfurdreki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2012, 07:14:47 am »

Pharaoh is a quality game (haven't played the expansion), and I would imagine that Caesar III and Zeus are as well, since I've played another later game from that series (Emperor) and I liked it as well.

I'm unfamiliar with the others.
Entropy is not what it used to be.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2012, 07:15:10 am »

Just did that. Although I only bought Theme hospital and DK2.
Can anyone confirm the awesomeness of this bundle?
That one's kind of an edge case for me, since I already own Pharaoh, Lords of Magic, and Lords of the Realm II somewhere, and Caesar III is basically just Pharaoh, more or less, as far as I've been able to tell. Having them discless and more assured to work on a newer machine than normal might be worth considering, I suppose.

As for what I do know, Pharaoh is a city-building game, largely based around housing values and disaster mitigation. Citizens need food and luxuries and nice surroundings to advance to more lavish dwellings, and apothecaries and fire stations and so on to not die of plague or catch on fire. I'm not sure I can offer real advice on whether it's "good" or not.

Lords of Magic is one of those old, horribly balanced, but still interesting games. The kind of thing you really wish they made a sequel to. You manage your Lord, other heroes, and mundane units, as well as your kingdom, trying to clear out dungeons for loot, research spells for your mages to cast, defend your realm from marauders, and so on. Overland map to move on, combat map to fight on. Ranged units tend to be laughably strong, since getting hit causes a brief recoil that stops you from moving forward. All noncreature units gain experience, with heroes having a higher max level than troops. I can unabashedly say it's "good" as far as I'm concerned, but it is old and horribly balanced and so on, so, you know.

Lords of the Realm II is a province-managing/castle-building game. It's fairly simplistic, as I recall; you manage what food sources your peasants are using and set their tax rate, then use your funds to build castles and swordsmen and so on and attempt to conquer everyone else and become king. There's also stone and iron, I believe, as special resources in some provinces. I also don't know if I can provide a useful quality assessment here.

So, the short version is that I'd buy it if I didn't already own it all, but I can't say for certain if you should do the same.
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2012, 07:21:54 am »

I'd buy them, if not for the ~25 other GoG games I just bought :P

timferius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2012, 07:58:20 am »

Oh man! Lords of the Realm II! I put so many hours in to that game as a kid, was my first strategy game. that being said, it's a tad simplistic, but for a buck, can you really go wrong?

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2012, 08:04:16 am »

Ooh. Star Control and Master of Orion series on sale, and I think I've heard good things about both. Can anyone confirm whether the bundle's worth $15 or if parts are worth their respective bits? Completely unfamiliar with most of it.

Also, Geneforge series for $7.50. Any comments on that? The rest of the bundle doesn't look worth getting, seeing as I already own Grimrock and Torchlight.

0cu

• Bay Watcher
  • Losing is fun!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 20, 2012, 08:43:45 am »

MoO 2 is one of the best games ever created. Can't say much about the rest.
Pages: [1] 2