Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17]

Author Topic: The Morality of Killing  (Read 14558 times)

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
Re: The Morality of Killing
« Reply #240 on: December 21, 2012, 10:02:15 am »

Goddamn, it's the Bystander law all over again.
Next we know people will get arrested for watching action movies under the charge of not helping fictional characters.
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #241 on: December 21, 2012, 11:35:34 am »

Are you exempt from that? After all, you are killing people as societies revenge.
I am not. I kill if they are an active threat, or resisting too much for me to subdue them and apprehend them if they have killed.
Despite the fact that you are an active threat to them.
I am not. My apprehension is conducive with justice, and probably won't result in their death.
Someone pointing a weapon at you which will "probably" not result in your death is most certainly a threat.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #242 on: December 21, 2012, 11:48:50 am »

Are you exempt from that? After all, you are killing people as societies revenge.
I am not. I kill if they are an active threat, or resisting too much for me to subdue them and apprehend them if they have killed.
Despite the fact that you are an active threat to them.
I am not. My apprehension is conducive with justice, and probably won't result in their death.
Someone pointing a weapon at you which will "probably" not result in your death is most certainly a threat.
"What you feel iin the small of your back is my gun. 2.0 centimeter calibre; it was designed for hunting elephaants. Stay calm. Do not be alarmed. Just act naturally."
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #243 on: December 21, 2012, 12:51:32 pm »

6 Pages, did not read it all.

My personal view of where this morality comes from:
"I don't want myself or people I like to be randomly killed by some jackass from outta nowhere.  It gives me much grief and anger.  Therefore, I relinquish the rights to freely kill people in the mutual understanding that everyone else here also agrees to it, even though I'd love to club my neighbor's skull in.  Yea, Larry, you heard me right, that is what I want to do to you."

So yea... that is along the lines of how I think in relation to not killing people.  A social contract between fellow humans who adhere to the 'I won't randomly attack and kill people' pact.  Therefore, those who don't agree to it or break the pact are free game.  Of course, there will probably be a nuanced justice system based on that... for what qualifies as random killing and killings that are 'justified'.  Also what other kinds of killings are considered bad justfication.
People cocking things up on epic levels, for personal gain, should be executed.  Just like how China does it.

Killing animals, seems fine to me... if it has a purpose and as long as humanity is not hunting em into extinction.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #244 on: December 21, 2012, 05:14:24 pm »

Well, sometimes I feel like... destroying someone describes it pretty well, I think. Not to cause pain or suffering, but simply for the sake of desintegration, of negation. It usually passes quickly, and I'd never actually do something like that, but I can see why someone would.

On the matter of actually killing someone: If it was necessary to protect someone (anyone, really) I'd do it, as well as when someone threatens (on a large scale) the realization of political ideals that I support (dignity, liberty, the rule of law are the main points). If there is no other option, lethal force is a legitimate tool in the political process.

(I'm talking Spanish Civil War type situations here, or Weimar in the twenties; not Bush in 2000.)
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

DrPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • In Russia Putin strikes meteor
    • View Profile
« Reply #245 on: December 21, 2012, 08:16:47 pm »

This is how i think about killing someone:

Are they a direct threat to you that you cannot eliminate without murdering? Green light.
Is it your neighbor, whos a family dad you are having some problems with? NONO

Anything with a family, NONO
Would the owner of an ounce of dignity please contact the mall security?

Corai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #246 on: December 21, 2012, 08:20:57 pm »

Anything with a family, NONO

Animals have families. That murderer coming at you with a knife has a family too.

Jacob/Lee: you have a heart made of fluffy
Jeykab/Bee: how the fuck do you live your daily life corai
Jeykab/Bee: you seem like the person who constantly has mini heart attacks because cuuuute

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #247 on: December 21, 2012, 08:43:48 pm »

Everyone has a parent(s)
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

DrPoo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #248 on: December 21, 2012, 08:45:25 pm »

Everyone has a parent(s)

Not everyone has wife and/or children tho.

lemon10

• Bay Watcher
  • Citrus Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #249 on: December 21, 2012, 09:09:09 pm »

Everyone has a parent(s)
Except orphans.
So yeah, you can kill young orphans without any moral qualms.  :P
And with a mighty leap, the evil Conservative flies through the window, escaping our heroes once again!
Because the solution to not being able to control your dakka is MOAR DAKKA.

That's it. We've finally crossed over and become the nation of Da Orky Boyz.

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #250 on: December 21, 2012, 10:27:31 pm »

Are they actively attempting to kill you or anybody else? Yes, you have the right to act with lethal force to protect yourself and others. If they attempt murder, they take their life in to their own hands.
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

DrPoo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #251 on: December 22, 2012, 04:14:17 am »

Everyone has a parent(s)
Except orphans.
So yeah, you can kill young orphans without any moral qualms.  :P

And thus the morality of HellMOO was explained.

Thecard

• Bay Watcher
  • Back in With the Old!
    • View Profile
« Reply #252 on: December 22, 2012, 04:24:58 am »

Is that some kind of dairy farm?

I think the slaughter part is what made them angry.
OOC: Dachshundofdoom: This is how the world ends, not with a bang but with goddamn VUVUZELAS.
Those hookers aren't getting out any time soon, no matter how many fancy gadgets they have :v

DrPoo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #253 on: December 22, 2012, 05:09:09 am »

Is that some kind of dairy farm?

More like a text based orphan rape sim
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17]