Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17

Author Topic: The Morality of Killing  (Read 14598 times)

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Morality of Killing
« Reply #210 on: December 20, 2012, 06:12:57 pm »

Did you get an acceptable answer?

Also, crazy deja vu, but I feel like we've had what amounts to this exact same exchange about a different topic at some point in the past. If that's true (and I'm not just crazy), it might be best for me to avoid discussing serious issues with you - there's clearly a bad chemistry going on.

Regardless, if the things I claimed were all untrue, I apologize, and bow out. There were other posters though, and many explanations - hopefully you found the information you were looking for.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2012, 06:18:50 pm by GlyphGryph »

Thecard

• Bay Watcher
  • Back in With the Old!
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: December 20, 2012, 06:32:02 pm »

Jumpin' on the train with Misky.
LAST.  MAYBE.  HOPEFULLY NOT BUT MAYBE LAST.

I think the slaughter part is what made them angry.
OOC: Dachshundofdoom: This is how the world ends, not with a bang but with goddamn VUVUZELAS.
Those hookers aren't getting out any time soon, no matter how many fancy gadgets they have :v

Shakerag

• Bay Watcher
  • Just here for the schadenfreude.
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: December 20, 2012, 06:33:35 pm »

But that doesn't mean we should cause unnecessary death and/or pain to them.  I mean, I'd save a human over an animal any day, but I wouldn't torture anything.  Including plants.
Why do people always forget about plants?
Given that people can obviously survive on a vegan diet and not suffer from malnutrition, what constitutes necessary death and/or pain to non-humans, then?  I ask this from a genuinely curious viewpoint, not one of being preachy. 

Outside of self/other-defense, I suppose. 

Thecard

• Bay Watcher
  • Back in With the Old!
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: December 20, 2012, 06:37:53 pm »

But that doesn't mean we should cause unnecessary death and/or pain to them.  I mean, I'd save a human over an animal any day, but I wouldn't torture anything.  Including plants.
Given that people can obviously survive on a vegan diet and not suffer from malnutrition, what constitutes necessary death and/or pain to non-humans, then?  I ask this from a genuinely curious viewpoint, not one of being preachy. 

I mean like the Native American tribes treated the buffalo.  They used what they needed, and didn't hunt for fun.  I think we can eat meat (should, really, that's why it's there) but I don't like sport-hunting.  I also don't like when animals are pretty much tortured because it saves companies space/time/money.  I'm not as upset about it as I am about unfair treatment of humans, though.
Still am upset about it.  :-\

OOC: Dachshundofdoom: This is how the world ends, not with a bang but with goddamn VUVUZELAS.
Those hookers aren't getting out any time soon, no matter how many fancy gadgets they have :v

King DZA

• Bay Watcher
  • Ruler of all things ruleable
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: December 20, 2012, 06:48:29 pm »

Because in my eyes, a strictly vegan diet seems horribly unfair to many forms of plantlife. I'm an omnivore, and I shall devour all of my beloved Earth-kin as equals!

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: December 20, 2012, 06:58:49 pm »

Because in my eyes, a strictly vegan diet seems horribly unfair to many forms of plantlife. I'm an omnivore, and I shall devour all of my beloved Earth-kin as equals!

Kryten in Red Dwarf said, "Oh, you're eating that man we found. I mean, why wouldn't people eat other people if they eat chickens? Then they're just... Picking on the chickens."

Cannibalism is non-discriminatory. Non-cannibalism... IS RACIST. :P
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: December 20, 2012, 07:03:43 pm »

Wouldn't that be more along the lines of speciesist? I guess vegetarianism would be, hrm. Kingdomist? Looks like that's about right.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: December 20, 2012, 07:06:09 pm »

Non-cannibalism... IS RACIST. :P
Speciesist, Hans. Keep your bigots straight.

Mr Space Cat

• Bay Watcher
  • inactive, changed accounts. sig for info
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: December 20, 2012, 07:10:14 pm »

Dayum, this is a deep thread of conversation. I think I'm getting a headache from thinking too hard. I'mma go pop some painkillers and watch a season of Jersey Shore, I need to stop thinking for a while.

In all seriousness now, debating just what the value of a life is is a really vast thing. There's so many variables and different interpretations of such a topic.

Personally, I feel there's several main factors to determine the value of a human mind/life.

1) Does the individual in question value their life? This is probably the biggest factor.
2) Do others value the individual's life?
3) Does the individual actively pursue interests and achievements, however you might define such, in any shape or form?
4) Does the individual and their peers also value these achievements?

Sure, this is vague, but the topic itself is incredibly vague and hard to define.

As to the suicide topic I brought up, I don't understand how "forcing the suicidal to not want to kill themselves" could help. Making such "help" "mandatory" would in all likelihood only generate resentment towards the help simply because the help is "forced" on them and not provided out of appreciation for their life.

As for actually committing suicide, generally the individual would have at least been thinking of the action for a while. Sure, there are cases where people just kill themselves in the heat of the moment, but there's hardly much help that could've been found for those cases.
----------------------------------------------------
Also, the ultimate reason we question the morality of killing is because we have no idea what happens when we die. No one knows for sure until they themselves die. Even if someone came back as a ghost, and tried to spread the word to the world about what death really was, there would always be some doubt, disbelief, and the fear of the unknown that would be death.

If we knew for a scientific fact that when one dies their mind travels to another dimension and becomes a free floating form of sentient gas and was free to ponder all the mysteries of the universe for eternity and ultimately transcend humanity, would we be so afraid of death? Would we still hold killers to be detestable monsters?
Made a new account that I use instead of this one. Don't message this one, I'm probably not gonna use it.

New account: Spehss _

Urist_McDrowner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: December 20, 2012, 07:19:38 pm »

Are you exempt from that? After all, you are killing people as societies revenge.
I am not. I kill if they are an active threat, or resisting too much for me to subdue them and apprehend them if they have killed.
Despite the fact that you are an active threat to them.

I am not. My apprehension is conducive with justice, and probably won't result in their death.

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: December 20, 2012, 07:20:27 pm »

I keep trying, but EVERYONE is Hanssexual, so they keep convert- Oh, wait. Not that kind of straight? Not that kind of straight.

On topic:
It is indeed a rather deep conversation. I also agree that forcing anything on someone that is suicidal is FAR more likely to be harmful than helpful.
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

Thecard

• Bay Watcher
  • Back in With the Old!
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: December 21, 2012, 12:01:33 am »

But... Gay bigots are the best bigots!  Alright?  So don't go judging my bigots, just because they're gay cannibalistic vegan bigots.  Yeah, they're plants.  Don't judge, they were born that way.  Like Gaga, but with spores!  And chlorophyll.
Also, there were probably less bees involved in Lady Gaga's conception.  But I guess I wasn't there, so I can't be too sure.

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: December 21, 2012, 01:10:32 am »

Post to watch, and...

My two cents:

I'm fine with killing for let's say... defense. If I am attacked by someone with lethal force, I will use lethal force in return.

If someone attacks me with non-lethal force, I would only aim to remove the threat without killing the person.

If an animal attacks me with intent to kill, I will kill it.

If I am hungry and my only option is to kill an animal, I will kill an animal and attempt to utilise as much of the animal as possible. I do not think the practice of finning a shark is a good thing.

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: December 21, 2012, 01:15:21 am »

I'd rather be killed than kill anything else intentionally.
Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: December 21, 2012, 01:17:28 am »

I'd rather be killed than kill anything else intentionally.

The genepool bids you farewell, pacifist!
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17