Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 17

Author Topic: The Morality of Killing  (Read 14567 times)

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
Re: The Morality of Killing
« Reply #90 on: December 19, 2012, 11:36:07 pm »

Rape isn't some disease that spreads by contact. It's caused by society as a whole. You would have to remove all rapists, all rape apologists, and anyone that's ever (or will ever) enable rape.

Rapists aren't just some freaky type of person. Rapists are normal people that have decided to rape.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #91 on: December 19, 2012, 11:37:19 pm »

*Unless they were heavily intoxicated. In which case they didn't even choose, they had a total lack of self control.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: December 19, 2012, 11:40:10 pm »

Your actions could be, the situations are is fucked but your actions are not. Sorry if I was unclear.

You are absolutely right about the whole thing being a net negative, I am just trying to get accost what I mean when I say killing is a net positive.
Nah, clear enough, I think. I've just got a bit of a consequentialist bent, heh. And yeah, I wouldn't exactly condemn someone for doing the best they could in a particular situation, or doing what's most moral given their understanding of a situation (we're fallible, information's imperfect, etc., so forth, so on.). Just maybe suggest that if we can do better than that given a more perfect understanding of the situation, then we should.

Insofar as practicalities are concerned, I'll be content when we've actually figured out how to get our species to witness the heat death of the universe without making everyone involved miserable. I could stand less than ecstatic, but I'd like better off than the present, heh.

Its a net good if it turns out better then the other options.
While I will agree that against a baseline of "nothing bad happens, no one dies, and no crimes are committed", killing someone is never a net good. But if option is "kill the person and prevent a greater evil" or "Not killing them, and letting whatever they are going to do happen due to a lack of any other options" then killing them would be more moral then doing nothing.
Yeah, I totally agree with that, sans the net good bit*. My quibble is that something can be "more moral", or even most moral without being moral. I set a fairly high bar for moral action and leave a wide strip for amoral action, more or less. Like I said, leaves plenty of room for improvement. Also leaves a lot of wiggle room for "good enough" (or, more precisely, "closer to good than other choices").

*An easy financial example is that you'd probably not call losing only a million dollars when you stood to lose five million a profit, y'ken? Definitely less of a loss, and most likely the best you could do (and "best can do" is basically the ideal in relation to practical action, f'me), but you're still a mil' in the red. With the 1 vs 10 thing, in that case, someone lost a million dollars. Other people may have kept ten mil, but you started with eleven million. Loss on the net.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Urist_McDrowner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: December 19, 2012, 11:45:31 pm »

I'm completely down with killing anything that isn't human for safety, food, clothing, or health. Things that are human? I would kill to prevent someone else from killing.

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: December 19, 2012, 11:47:34 pm »

Rape isn't some disease that spreads by contact. It's caused by society as a whole. You would have to remove all rapists, all rape apologists, and anyone that's ever (or will ever) enable rape.

Rapists aren't just some freaky type of person. Rapists are normal people that have decided to rape.

And it is my view that one you decide to rape the act of taking your life is no longer wrong.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: December 19, 2012, 11:48:58 pm »

... even if you don't make the attempt?
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

zombie urist

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_LIVING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: December 19, 2012, 11:49:13 pm »

No one deserves to die.

Killing animals for products is ok though.

My opinions. ^

I would kill to prevent someone else from killing.
This ... doesn't really make sense.
The worst part of all of this is that Shakerag won.

Scelly9

• Bay Watcher
  • That crazy long-haired queer liberal communist
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: December 19, 2012, 11:51:08 pm »

I'm completely down with killing anything that isn't human for safety, food, clothing, or health. Things that are human? I would kill to prevent someone else from killing.
What if there was a mob of five trying to kill one person? Would you kill five people to save one?
You taste the jug! It is ceramic.
Quote from: Loud Whispers
SUPPORT THE COMMUNIST GAY MOVEMENT!

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: December 19, 2012, 11:51:51 pm »

And it is my view that one you decide to rape the act of taking your life is no longer wrong.

And you can have that view. Heck, I understand that view. But don't act like killing all rapists is going to end rape.

So many more people contribute to rape than actual rapists. Everyone who makes rape jokes, everyone who acts like any dude would rape women if they could get away with it, everyone who tells a woman that it's her fault she was raped.

Urist_McDrowner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: December 20, 2012, 12:00:59 am »

What if there was a mob of five trying to kill one person? Would you kill five people to save one?

Yes.

Scelly9

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: December 20, 2012, 12:01:24 am »

What about a hundred?

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: December 20, 2012, 12:02:27 am »

And you can have that view. Heck, I understand that view. But don't act like killing all rapists is going to end rape.

So many more people contribute to rape than actual rapists. Everyone who makes rape jokes, everyone who acts like any dude would rape women if they could get away with it, everyone who tells a woman that it's her fault she was raped.

I cannot stand any of the people you just mentioned. Whatever, I've had my say, I'm done here.

*Gamerlord walks out*

Urist_McDrowner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: December 20, 2012, 12:03:02 am »

What about a hundred?

Well, I should qualify that statement. Each person must actively or otherwise be instrumental in the planned death of the one person, and must be doing it for reasons I do not find acceptable. The only acceptable reasons are: Actual tyranny, war (though I'd kill them if I was at war with them), and self defense, among a few others I can't think of right now.

Scelly9

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: December 20, 2012, 12:06:11 am »

But why would you believe that the lives of those hundred where worth less than the one they where killing?

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: December 20, 2012, 12:09:23 am »

I cannot stand any of the people you just mentioned. Whatever, I've had my say, I'm done here.

*Gamerlord walks out*

Neither can I. I was just responding to you saying "Kill all rapists, you stop rape."
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 17