Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 17

Author Topic: The Morality of Killing  (Read 14531 times)

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
Re: The Morality of Killing
« Reply #45 on: December 19, 2012, 10:02:56 pm »

Alright, then what level of risk is allowable? Ninety percent certainty that you're whacking someone trying to commit harm, and ninety-five that you're not going to over-penetrate?
Statistically, you'd probably want considerably higher certainty than that, t'be honest. If you applied a five out of a hundred chance to th'world's population, you'd have a rather large number. Functionally, you'd probably want as high as you can get it with a human being, which is... probably not as good as is desirable, or particularly moral, really.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: December 19, 2012, 10:03:17 pm »

Alright, then what level of risk is allowable? Ninety percent certainty that you're whacking someone trying to commit harm, and ninety-five that you're not going to over-penetrate?

This is a easy question for me. Value lives. Normal people a normal amount, friends a lot, scum very little. Then calculate the average deaths/saves from your actions. Which to answer your questions: Both of those sound fine to me.

Facekillz058

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text!
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: December 19, 2012, 10:05:39 pm »

Well, child labor is obviously counter-productive.
I could have little Johnny here making teapots for his entire life, or he could study for his degree in some helpful science field.
Children are just like... seeds. Plant them, and they'll grow. Eat them, and, well, that was a short lived victory.
Kids have a lot of time they're not studying or doing something useful. Might as well make 'em work! There's plenty who we know early on will likely never be able to make it in a science field. Should go ahead and set those ones on teacups, right?

And what about higher education? No collage unless you're also working a full time job? Or maybe just a complete dissolving of any grants/loans/public schooling/etc. Sounds about what you were aiming for, yes? No handouts, only get what you work for! Meh, maybe I should stop snarking while I'm ahead, I'unno.

And... going down the line of "fixing" non-neurotypical individuals is walking a delightfully slippery ledge we probably should just pre-emptively avoid.

You don't really see how things would work. People wouldn't be working 24/7. I would gladly enforce an 8 hour work day. Also, this means children would go to school for 8 hours a day. College would be free. College isn't really a hand out, because they would be giving back more than a simple education can possible cost. People would either start their working when they graduated high school, or college, depending on what they feel like doing. That being said, people would also have a lot of choices. I'm not going to dictate what people have to do for work, i'm not going to tell people, "You can't be an astronaut". The idea behind my world would be happy people who are happy to give back. You would get 3 meals a day, paid for by the work you do. You would get your electricity and water, paid by the work you do. All jobs should be equally paying. There's the scientist who saves lives in a lab coat, and there's the firefighter who charges into a burning building to save lives. There's the athlete that is beloved by all, there is the artist that people know and appreciate. The only punishments would come from making the wrong choices. Killed someone? Here's some lead. Hot, flying lead. Robbed a lady? I don't know where your TV went, sir, someone must have taken it. Stole a car? It's okay, you must not need the one you had to start with, then. An eye for an eye, you know?
I really didn't want to talk about things of a mental degree, because I know there's a fine line there that I don't fully understand.
Anyway, with that, I am saying farewell, it is late, I have a few tests to do tomorrow, good night.
(づ◕◕)づ・。*。✧・゜゜・。✧。*・゜゜・✧。・­¬¬¬¬¬¬¬゜゜・。*。・゜*✧・。*。✧

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: December 19, 2012, 10:07:36 pm »

Posting to watch.

My two cents:

Some people deserve to be killed. The true monsters; rapists, child molesters and the like. I would have no problem if one of them was brutally killed in front of me. In fact, I would most likely join in.

You realize that most rapists, etc are that way because they were abused as children and they have some serious mental issues going on, right? There are indeed born rapists and stuff, and that is totally different, but what about the ones that were BEATEN into being a rapist? How do they equate in your 'totally deserves to die' scale?
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: December 19, 2012, 10:10:14 pm »

Posting to watch.

My two cents:

Some people deserve to be killed. The true monsters; rapists, child molesters and the like. I would have no problem if one of them was brutally killed in front of me. In fact, I would most likely join in.

You realize that most rapists, etc are that way because they were abused as children and they have some serious mental issues going on, right? There are indeed born rapists and stuff, and that is totally different, but what about the ones that were BEATEN into being a rapist? How do they equate in your 'totally deserves to die' scale?

I wanta chime in on this because this is certainly something my morals are sold on. Killing is not ideal here, locking them away is, but if killing could stop it I sure as hell would without crying. Even if it only had a chance of stopping it.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: December 19, 2012, 10:11:45 pm »

Posting to watch.

My two cents:

Plus it becomes rather awkward when you have to decide whether to beat yourself to death if you are, falsely or not, accused of raping.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: December 19, 2012, 10:12:57 pm »

Posting to watch.

My two cents:

I wanta chime in on this because this is certainly something my morals are sold on. Killing is not ideal here, locking them away is, but if killing could stop it I sure as hell would without crying. Even if it only had a chance of stopping it.

I really don't care. There are some things that are unforgivable, that cannot be allowed to continue. No amount of 'I have problems' can excuse rape or paedophilia.

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: December 19, 2012, 10:16:06 pm »

I had a dream where I was accused of rape when I was innocent of such a thing. It is... Possible the least pleasant sensation I've ever experienced. That is besides the point though.

I'm not saying I wouldn't shoot someone in the head if they were attempting to rape someone, without qualms. I would, in an instant. But there are... Deeper concerns that just, "Oh you raped someone, you deserve to die." Yes, they did, and they do. But there's more to it than just that.
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #53 on: December 19, 2012, 10:18:02 pm »

And executing them solves what problems how? Never mind statutory rape or incidents where neither were in a condition to consent.

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: December 19, 2012, 10:19:34 pm »

And executing them solves what problems how? Never mind statutory rape or incidents where neither were in a condition to consent.

I wasn't suggesting we SHOULD execute them. Only that they would deserve it if they were executed. Killing someone that was attempting to rape would prevent the act, which is a net good, but there is almost always a better way.
He's fucking with us.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: December 19, 2012, 10:26:14 pm »

I think LW is asking that of Gamerlord.

And yeah. That's a pretty good fricken question, how would killing them help for anything but shallow revenge?

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #56 on: December 19, 2012, 10:26:36 pm »

I wasn't suggesting we SHOULD execute them. Only that they would deserve it if they were executed. Killing someone that was attempting to rape would prevent the act, which is a net good, but there is almost always a better way.
That was at Gamerlord, you just ninja'd me L:<

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: December 19, 2012, 10:28:17 pm »

Oh, right. Well. My point stands. Or perhaps leans insolently.
He's fucking with us.

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: December 19, 2012, 10:28:57 pm »

Any other course of action apart from summary execution leaves open the chance of them doing it again.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: December 19, 2012, 10:30:42 pm »

Any other course of action apart from summary execution leaves open the chance of them doing it again.

At that rate of chance you should be killing random people in the street. Because certainly you are not talking of killing without a trial?
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 17