Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Energy Drinks  (Read 5346 times)

Morrigi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Energy Drinks
« on: December 19, 2012, 05:23:31 pm »

There are those who consume energy drinks in moderation like myself, those who are convinced it is as bad as cocaine, and those who think consuming 8 of them in a night is a good idea. Where do you stand on this subject?
Cthulhu 2016! No lives matter! No more years! Awaken that which slumbers in the deep!

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
Re: Energy Drinks
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2012, 05:30:16 pm »

Every one I've tried (which, being fair, is limited) has tasted horrid and didn't give me as strong nor as lengthy an energy high as using soda as a base for green tea (which often tastes delicious). So, I don't drink the stuff. Nasty, and not sufficiently effective to be worth the yuck.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Jimmy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2012, 05:32:54 pm »

From my own research into this area, the health risks of energy drinks derive mainly from the soft drink component. Caffeine and other assorted stimulants have had no proven health risks, and in fact regular coffee consumption has been shown to have quite a few benefits for your health.

In short, if you want caffeine, start drinking short blacks. Too much soft drink will give you diabetes.

Caz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:comforting whirs]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2012, 05:33:18 pm »

Sugary, carbonated caffeine. Good for a hangover. Otherwise I'd stick to coffee.

dei

• Bay Watcher
  • Someone.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2012, 05:45:36 pm »

I'm fine with the ones that use vitamins and tried-and-true supplements, like AMP Boost Original and AMP Boost Sugar-Free - which is the only one out there that is like this. The rest contain things that give me nightmares - literally, if I have an energy drink that is not AMP Boost Original or AMP Boost Sugar-Free I will have all sorts of violent nightmares that involve me dying to death.

Fuck that, I would rather spend $5 on four days of Dr. Pepper and brew some incredibly strong black tea on the side. Otherwise without stimulants I am incredibly surly and antagonistic. It's like comparing a teddy bear you give to your kid on their birthday with a foaming at the mouth grizzly that will make you die to death while spouting somewhat offensive memes.

...Speaking of that I am feeling really damn surly right now. Where's my caffeine?

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2012, 05:52:07 pm »

I've never liked them and they've never given me any significant amount of energy. I don't really judge anyone who uses them though, except for their lack of taste.

using soda as a base for green tea

Please elaborate.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2012, 06:00:17 pm »

Please elaborate.
It's nothing complicated. Take coca-cola or mountain dew or a knock-off brand or whatever. Boil it. Steep green tea. Caffeinated tea in general, really. Drink. If you like it sweet, it's hard to top. Though how good it is varies based on type of soda and type of tea. I've had some pretty impressive variation, but several that turned out excellent to my palate.

... wouldn't recommend steeping green tea into hot chocolate, though. That... didn't end well.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2012, 06:02:31 pm by Frumple »
Ask not!
Ask!

Caz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:comforting whirs]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2012, 06:08:31 pm »

Please elaborate.
It's nothing complicated. Take coca-cola or mountain dew or a knock-off brand or whatever. Boil it. Steep green tea. Caffeinated tea in general, really. Drink. If you like it sweet, it's hard to top. Though how good it is varies based on type of soda and type of tea. I've had some pretty impressive variation, but several that turned out excellent to my palate.

... wouldn't recommend steeping green tea into hot chocolate, though. That... didn't end well.

But... won't the soda go flat? And be hot? *shudder*

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2012, 06:11:53 pm »

Yes. Yes it will. It's... surprisingly good. Most of the time it comes out akin to something like liquid sugar. Less viscous syrup, y'ken? Or really, really sweet tea.

I mean, it's hard not to be surprisingly good considering the first time I tried it I was kinda' expecting it to explode, but I've actually had people who had no investment in my happiness or interest in humoring me drink the stuff and give positive reviews (And frankly, the fact that I actually managed to convince people in real life to drink the stuff to begin with should say something :P).
« Last Edit: December 19, 2012, 06:13:30 pm by Frumple »
Ask not!
Ask!

PanH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2012, 06:17:10 pm »

Yes. Yes it will. It's... surprisingly good. Most of the time it comes out akin to something like liquid sugar. Less viscous syrup, y'ken? Or really, really sweet tea.

I mean, it's hard not to be surprisingly good considering the first time I tried it I was kinda' expecting it to explode, but I've actually had people who had no investment in my happiness or interest in humoring me drink the stuff and give positive reviews (And frankly, the fact that I actually managed to convince people in real life to drink the stuff to begin with should say something :P).

You're boiling it in a pot, right ? What are the best combination you got so far ?

Also, couldn't you just drink tea (black tea ?) with lots of sugar for the same effect ? Did you tried ice boiled soda-tea ?

Scelly9

• Bay Watcher
  • That crazy long-haired queer liberal communist
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2012, 06:19:14 pm »

They don't work for me. It's very odd. Every time I've had one, I've fallen asleep half an hour to an hour after drinking.
You taste the jug! It is ceramic.
Quote from: Loud Whispers
SUPPORT THE COMMUNIST GAY MOVEMENT!

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2012, 06:21:45 pm »

They don't work for me. It's very odd. Every time I've had one, I've fallen asleep half an hour to an hour after drinking.

This.  Caffeine really has no effect on me either though.

I just stick to diet soft drinks.  All of the soft drink flavor, none of the sugar!  And caffeine I guess... not that it does anything to me.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2012, 06:30:53 pm »

You're boiling it in a pot, right ? What are the best combination you got so far ?

Also, couldn't you just drink tea (black tea ?) with lots of sugar for the same effect ? Did you tried ice boiled soda-tea ?
Boiling it in a pot, yeah, generally. You can also microwave th'soda and steep in that, comes out about the same -- just stick a toothpick in the bowl or cup with the soda to make sure you keep the surface broken, helps make sure it doesn't explode. It doesn't take very long, either, two-three minutes at the most, iirc, just nuke it 'till it's hot and flat. Best combinations so far have mostly been mountain dew with cheap-arse honey/lemon/ginseng wal-mart obtained tea -- the purple stuff they had years ago was the best, but the normal stuff works fine, too. Comes out kinda' grape-ish, just... sweeter. Secondary tier's been boiled Barqs root beer with th'same green tea or gojiberry tea, which... I can't really describe in words, beyond "sweet". Some orange minutemaid with th'same honey-etc. green and some extra honey turned out alright too, when I was feeling a lil'sick. I wouldn't recommend orange soda with orange-infused tea, though. That didn't go very well (children's aspirin, yo'.). I think I've tried black soda-tea once, but I can't recall with what. Mostly I just throw together whatever's on hand and see if it works. Usually it's decent enough I can drink it, if not very memorable either way.

I've tried cooled, yeah, and it's still pretty decent. Did that with coca-cola and green, and I think Barqs and... something. Drank the remains of the same pot over a few days a couple times. As for th'lots-of-sugar thing... I actually haven't really tried that (I usually use honey if I want to further sweeten my tea), but I imagine the texture'd come out different, and likely the taste. It's not just raw sugariness, but that's the closest description I can come to it.

I just stick to diet soft drinks.  All of the soft drink flavor, none of the sugar!  And caffeine I guess... not that it does anything to me.
Diet soda's arguably worse for you than regular soft drinks, from what I understand :P I can't stand the taste of most artificial sweeteners (especially in drinks), though, so diet's mostly out for me.
Ask not!
Ask!

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #13 on: December 19, 2012, 06:36:02 pm »

There are those who consume energy drinks in moderation like myself, those who are convinced it is as bad as cocaine, and those who think consuming 8 of them in a night is a good idea. Where do you stand on this subject?

Yeah I know one of my friends who drinks an energy drink which happens to be 50% of your GDA sugar, several times a day. I wonder how he doesn't have diabetes yet.
In general, they taste of crap and don't really give energy. If you want energy eat a loaf of bread or something.

Leatra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 19, 2012, 06:39:12 pm »

Eh, most of them taste like shit and I really don't see how people can become addicted to stuff like that. They don't have much of an effect on me anyway. Actually, things like energy drinks and coffees can make me even more relaxed.
Pages: [1] 2 3