Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Caravan Amount  (Read 628 times)

RustedAxe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Caravan Amount
« on: January 07, 2008, 09:44:00 pm »

What determines how many caravans arrive?  

I have a clue; I've been steadily getting more caravans each time with more and more trade exchanged until one time I forgot to open my bridge-gate, which led to less trade.  The year afterward brought a significant decrease in caravans.

Anyone else have something to chime in?

Skanky

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm building a wagon!
    • View Profile
Re: Caravan Amount
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2008, 11:19:00 pm »

Someone reported giving away a large amount of stuff to caravans throughout their game and ended up with 8 caravans at one point.
"Quickly now, the goblins are more devious these days." - Captain Mayday

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2008, 12:09:00 am »

Though this is speculation I would think the number of wagons received would be partially dependent on how much profit they made the previous year.  Might have to do with how friendly they are with you too.  

I don't think anybody but Toady or ThreeToe knows for sure.

Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Forumsdwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2008, 02:11:00 am »

Can human wagons haul gold bars?  I'm in my first year and my fortress is loaded to the crenelations with gold bars, but so far they've been worthless to me.  (I know, mint coins, but it's my first year and we've got food and liquor piled to the roof, so I think I got my priorities straight.)

Still curious how much weight the humans can carry.  I'll sell everything not in direct communication with pressurized water for the right price -- if the buyers can haul it off.

"Let them eat XXtroutXX!" -Troas

Skanky

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm building a wagon!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2008, 02:14:00 am »

Make them into goblets and they will be worth quite a bit. As bars, not so much. Humans can sell gold bars to you, so I presume they will buy them as well.
"Quickly now, the goblins are more devious these days." - Captain Mayday

Forumsdwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2008, 02:29:00 am »

Goblets, good advice.  Another question: I've also got lots of gems on this map (and not a scrap of iron!)
If I wanted to make gem-encrusted goblets would I cut the gems first?
"Let them eat XXtroutXX!" -Troas

Manicmonkey

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2008, 03:11:00 am »

Indeed you would. If you have glass making abilities, you can can make a lot of raw green glass, and cut that. It counts as a gem, not as valuable but gives gemcutters/setters practice. A higher level of gemcutting, from what ive seen, increases the value of gems and increases the probability of getting a large gem. Good gem setting ability means a decorated item is worth more (when inset with gems, studding with metal/bone etc uses the respective skills)
JESUS CHRIST ITS A SKELK!!! GET IN THE WAGON!!!<BR>Originally posted by penguinofhonor:<P>It''s true what someone once said, "The only things more insane than the dwarves are the players."
Anticheese: The undead don't kill. They recruit
Momaw: Ennui is a pointless word.  By the time you're feeling it, you don't care what it's called

veryinky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2008, 03:36:00 am »

Toady posted the formula in the channel once, merchants have a 10 year memory, the range of number of wagons/mules increases if they have a profit the previous year. 3-4 wagons this year + profit = 4-5 wagons next year. 3-4 wagons this year + caravan killed = 2-3 wagons next year.