Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Pathfinder Sandbox MMO in development  (Read 570 times)

Kadzar

• Bay Watcher
  • Descan Pengwind
    • View Profile
Pathfinder Sandbox MMO in development
« on: December 19, 2012, 02:31:53 pm »

I heard about this a while ago and just assumed it was vaporware, but today I found out that they are actually developing a Pathfinder MMO.

The company making it seems to have been formed solely to make the game. The About page shows the major players here as a former CMO of CPP (the makers of EVE Online) and some guy who was involved in City of Heroes and the software director for Champions Online who later went to work for CCP. So it kinda sounds like they have people who know what their doing, at least tech-wise. If nothing else, the current Kickstarter video shows that they can make a decent-looking tech demo.

I'm still a little wary of their ideas. I haven't looked through much of their blog yet, but their ideas for death and justice seem to show more of a desire for enacting vengeance than actually deterring griefing. It seems like this might end up as a fantasy EVE Online, though it should be less complex and might actually be genuinely fun, plus the NPC guards should able to protect anyone roleplaying in town from all but the most optimized player-killers, who will wait around to loot half of all their stuff (the other half being rendered completely non-existent the moment the looter searches their body.)
What if the earth is just a knick in one of the infinite swords of the mighty fractal bear?
Glory to Arstotzka!

fenrif

• Bay Watcher
  • Dare to be stupid.
    • View Profile
Re: Pathfinder Sandbox MMO in development
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2012, 05:39:49 pm »

I'm cautiously optimistic. I mean the setting definatly has potential. The only problems I have with this is that Pathfinder being what it is, this will probobly be a class-based game, which I think I'm getting excessively bored with. And secondly that every game that's promised player built settlements and cities since pre-NGE SWG has either imlimented it terribly or flat out lied about it  being in the game.

I would've pledged for the beta access and crowdforging stuff, but they want 100 dollars for that. So I guess I'm waiting till release. :S

Kadzar

• Bay Watcher
  • Descan Pengwind
    • View Profile
Re: Pathfinder Sandbox MMO in development
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2012, 06:59:00 pm »

The more I read the blog, the more I think the one marketing guy had some ideas about how he would make EVE Online better and decided to use his connections with the Paizo CEO to get a cheap IP.
What if the earth is just a knick in one of the infinite swords of the mighty fractal bear?
Glory to Arstotzka!