Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: In Memorium  (Read 1090 times)

Scott Cee

• Bay Watcher
  • a medium-sized humanoid prone to procrastination
    • View Profile
In Memorium
« on: December 19, 2012, 12:44:54 pm »

So, yeah.
We all have our favourite dorfs - perhaps they're one of the original seven, or they've produced a useful artifact, or they have an amusing name, or are just some random peasant who happened to catch your eye one time in passing - and you check in to see how they're getting along every so often.
And then they fall in the well and drown two tiles away from the ramp out, or throw an epic tantrum and have to be euthanized before causing too much trouble, or get caught and eaten by some critter.

In memoriam of Monom Zalisnomal Regduthtish Lanlar (Monom Wardedstaff the Gloved Inferno of Birds) Champion of Bronzemark - Legendary Fighter, High Master Speardwarf: slayer of 49 goblins, 4 kobolds, 4 dwarfs, 2 humans, 1 cyclops, 1 minotaur and a panda who happened to be in the wrong place at the wrong time - who lost her right hand to a kobold thief when still a rookie, and didn't let that stop her racking up those kills in the four years she'd been in the Siegebreakers - shot in the throat and killed by a goblin master bowman.

Sorely missed by all.
Scott Cee Cancels Sleep : Playing Dwarf Fortress

Mohawk_Bravo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: In Memorium
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2012, 03:45:43 pm »

I can't remember his exact name, but I had a particular fondness for an Axe Dwarf I had nicknamed One Eye. Originally, he was one of my seven dwarves, and as more skilled labors joined our community, he was drafted into our fledgling military. Strong steel and leather industries meant that the new army had top of the line equipment. I put them through the ropes in the danger rooms and soon gained a fondness for One Eye. At first I believed his eye was gouged out by a lucky shot from a wooden training spear, but as I later found out, he lost it beating goblins to death well travelling with his family. As my fortress grew, One Eye went from recruit, to militia captain, and pretty soon he was one of the legendary warriors of our fortress. He took out hordes of goblins, many forgotten beasts, and even a miniotaur or two (one single handedly if I remember correctly). It was only when he fought a giant lava spewing forgotten beast that him and his squad met their match. After he burned to death and the beast was put down, I buried him in a grand tomb seperate from the rest out of respect. He was one badass dorf, that's all I can say about him.

wolfrend

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Re: In Memorium
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2012, 06:42:31 pm »

The only dwarf I can recall as being a monstrous bad-ass was a girl drafted into my early year 1 militia.  The caravan showed up, so I lowered the bridge to let them in.  A black bear came racing across the map to get across the bridge and attack people.  When I ordered my militia to take care of it, one dwarf was already in combat with the bear.  She didn't have weapons or armor, but managed to mangle the bear in a couple hits, and got a couple bruises from the scuffle.  Years later my fortress fell due to tantrums after an epic siege/"accidental" FB release.  I wish I equipped the girl better, cus I think her death affected the fortress more than anything.  R.I.P. Urist "Bear" McLady