Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5

Author Topic: Your local myths  (Read 7301 times)

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
Re: Your local myths
« Reply #30 on: December 21, 2012, 05:28:37 pm »

We don't actually have that much in my exact area, but there is a lot on the Indian reservations near us (Arizona is about 1/4th indian land; about 38% of all the total reservation land in the U.S.) so up on the different Rez's you have a lot of that older native mythology (skinwalkers, and all other sorts of native goodies).

O_o

Those still exists? That's definitely my WTF of the day.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 21, 2012, 05:32:27 pm »

I never would have guessed how expensive they are.  I know they're hard as balls to catch and all (I'll tell you the whole story some time), but there can't be that much demand.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 21, 2012, 07:17:19 pm »

Ah the mystical jackalope.
You call that a mythical beast? We have Drop Bears.

Guardian G.I.

• Bay Watcher
  • "And it ducks, and it covers!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 22, 2012, 02:45:32 am »

All of the local myths I've heard are about the Brest Fortress.
When Russian troops were retreating from Brest-Litovsk during World War I, they blew up the entrances to underground supply warehouses. A Russian soldier standing on guard duty was trapped underground in these warehouses (he was unaware of the retreat order). He had been living there for years, surviving on war rations and rainwater, until the warehouse was discovered by some Polish workers in the late 1920s.
this means that a donation of 30 dollars to a developer that did not deliver would equal 4.769*10^-14 hitlers stolen from you
that's like half a femtohitler
and that is terrible
Sigtext

Thecard

• Bay Watcher
  • Back in With the Old!
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 22, 2012, 02:58:58 am »

I heard this myth once that there was this place called "Australia."  It's full of magical jumping bears or something.  No one really believes it though.

I think the slaughter part is what made them angry.
OOC: Dachshundofdoom: This is how the world ends, not with a bang but with goddamn VUVUZELAS.
Those hookers aren't getting out any time soon, no matter how many fancy gadgets they have :v

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 22, 2012, 07:05:07 am »

All of the local myths I've heard are about the Brest Fortress.
When Russian troops were retreating from Brest-Litovsk during World War I, they blew up the entrances to underground supply warehouses. A Russian soldier standing on guard duty was trapped underground in these warehouses (he was unaware of the retreat order). He had been living there for years, surviving on war rations and rainwater, until the warehouse was discovered by some Polish workers in the late 1920s.
Sounds like a good fortress idea. DF-wise, I mean.
Also:
Breast Fortress

(sorry, couldn't resist)
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

dei

• Bay Watcher
  • Someone.
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 22, 2012, 11:10:33 am »

The local community college teaches a class on mythology, witchcraft and religion.

...Yeah I've got nothing that isn't the babblings of a schizophrenic or a hippie, of which there are a lot of both where I live.

Thecard

• Bay Watcher
  • Back in With the Old!
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 22, 2012, 12:37:06 pm »

Breast Fortress
Sounds like a good fortress idea. DF-wise, I mean.

(sorry, couldn't resist)

OOC: Dachshundofdoom: This is how the world ends, not with a bang but with goddamn VUVUZELAS.
Those hookers aren't getting out any time soon, no matter how many fancy gadgets they have :v

Guardian G.I.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 22, 2012, 01:47:52 pm »

Also:
Breast Fortress
(sorry, couldn't resist)
It's a standard American response to the name of our town. Actually, it has nothing to do with breasts - the name of the city comes from the Slavic root "beresta" meaning birch or bark. The original name of the town - Berestye was eventually shortened to Berestiy, then to Berest', then to Brest-Litovsk, and finally Brest.
When the film "The Brest Fortress" (about the defense of the above-mentioned fortress during the first days of the German invasion of the USSR; it's pretty good, by the way) was released on DVD in the USA and EU, its title was changed to "Fortress of War", because Freud was right.

After the battle, the few surviving defenders retreated into the system of basements and underground pathways connecting various parts of the fortress. At night, they went to the surface, ambushed the patrols and then retreated underground. It's easy to imagine how fun was the night patrol for an average German soldier. Soldiers (and especially officers) were especially afraid of the mysterious "frau mit automat", which was basically the Soviet female incarnate of Predator - she had perfect aim, she hunted German officers, and she scared everyone shitless. The Germans didn't have the guts to go into the underground catacombs and clear them out, so they just flooded them.

If you go off the pathways in the fortress, you may stumble upon entrances to the above-mentioned flooded underground pathways. If you're careless enough, you can fall down there and drown.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2012, 01:49:49 pm by Guardian G.I. »
this means that a donation of 30 dollars to a developer that did not deliver would equal 4.769*10^-14 hitlers stolen from you
and that is terrible
Sigtext

Thecard

• Bay Watcher
  • Back in With the Old!
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 22, 2012, 01:52:27 pm »

Soldiers (and especially officers) were especially afraid of the mysterious "frau mit automat", which was basically the Soviet female incarnate of Predator - she had perfect aim, she hunted German officers, and she scared everyone shitless.
"Woman with Washing-machines"?  Did she throw quarters at them?  :P

Guardian G.I.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 22, 2012, 01:54:52 pm »

Soldiers (and especially officers) were especially afraid of the mysterious "frau mit automat", which was basically the Soviet female incarnate of Predator - she had perfect aim, she hunted German officers, and she scared everyone shitless.
"Woman with Washing-machines"?  Did she throw quarters at them?  :P
Nah, she had a submachine gun.
and that is terrible
Sigtext

Scoops Novel

• Bay Watcher
  • Talismanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 22, 2012, 01:56:49 pm »

So it actually means wood? You can't win.
Reading a thinner book

Arcjolt (useful) Chilly The Endoplasm Jiggles

Hums with potential    a flying minotaur

Thecard

• Bay Watcher
  • Back in With the Old!
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 22, 2012, 01:57:50 pm »

Oh, "Automat" is Deutsch for "machine gun"?

I wonder if any German tourists get scared when they see people in America going in and out of automats carrying full trash bags.

silverskull39

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 22, 2012, 04:42:31 pm »

not exactly local for me, but in Tennessee and maybe surrounding states of the U.S. you hear about the "Wampus Cat", which I guess stems from Native American folklore. Basically if you have to walk outside at night and you're not from around there the locals try to scare you with vague stories about how the Wampus Cat will get you.
Dwarf fortress threads can sound so.... unethical
it would be unethical if this wasn't the bay12 forums
Bay12: A short, sturdy forum fond of !!science!! and derailment.
Now back to your regularly scheduled thread derailment.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 23, 2012, 12:31:52 pm »

Thecard: No, it's not, but language has changed since then. "Automatisches Gewehr" (automatic gun) might have been in use then, giving the "Frau mit Automat" her name.

This is what most Germans today would think of when hearing the word Automat:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5