Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5

Author Topic: Your local myths  (Read 7291 times)

Scoops Novel

• Bay Watcher
  • Talismanic
    • View Profile
Your local myths
« on: December 19, 2012, 10:52:28 am »

I would very much like to know first and foremost, and on the other hand it's excellent material for the world of darkness game I'm planning :D. I'll be finding out about the European portion, but off the top of m head my mother from Cameroon talked about 3 headed yellow snakes and mermaids tempting boys with rings when asked. Don't be afraid to go back in time either.
Reading a thinner book

Arcjolt (useful) Chilly The Endoplasm Jiggles

Hums with potential    a flying minotaur

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
Re: Your local myths
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2012, 11:04:24 am »

Some holy guy came to our town, cured the pest, and now we disable all lamps in the city and decorate everything with candles every year. Looks awesome.

(Sint Rochus is his name here. He has a dog and the dog is usually holding a piece of bread.)

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2012, 11:12:14 am »

Classic Croatian fairy tales

Unfortunately, they also translated proper names and names of fantasy creatures :(
Urist, President has immigrated to your fortress!
Urist, President mandates the Dwarven Bill of Rights.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2012, 11:15:22 am »

Celtic/Welsh Myths and Legends. The Mabinogion is pretty hefty. Most schoolchildren are taught about the legend of Gelert the Dog though.
This is a blank sig.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2012, 11:18:08 am »

Both the Cologne and the Aachen cathedral have stories about the devil being involved in building them - that could give some good background for your game. I'll look it up.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2012, 11:24:27 am »

Got a few things about stuff in the swamps I don't know the specifics of around here... frankly, there isn't much in the way of impressive myths left in the immigrant-descended population that makes up most of the folks in North Florida. Natives have some good stuff I don't actually recall, but we're... largely mythless in my community. Lil'bit of cryptozoology and some religious stuff still lingering, but for a community largely living in a swamp, of all things, we're surprisingly grounded. S'actually kinda' weird, now that I think about it.

If y'dig around, you can still get some stuff from some of the older folks, I think, but it doesn't really seem to be in the general zeitgeist of the area, at least that I've noticed.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Scoops Novel

• Bay Watcher
  • Talismanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2012, 11:26:21 am »

Delve smaller, localer! *whips threateningly. That's right, no crack. Perform my bidding no cracks!* *cracks*
Reading a thinner book

Arcjolt (useful) Chilly The Endoplasm Jiggles

Hums with potential    a flying minotaur

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Boksi

• Bay Watcher
  • Everyone's dumb in their own special way
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2012, 12:10:06 pm »

If the parents of an infant tell somebody the child's name before it's baptized, the devil can steal its soul. Okay, most people don't actually believe that, but it's the basis of the custom of not revealing a child's name until it's baptized. The priest asks the parent what the child is called, they answer and then the priest baptizes the baby.
[BODY_DETAIL:NAIL:NAIL:NAIL]
[HAMMER:HAMMER:HAMMER]

[TSU_NOUN:nose]
[SUN_TSU_NOUN:art:war]

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2012, 12:10:25 pm »

There's supposedly a frog-man living somewhere around my town, a couple people say they've seen it.

Up farther north there's supposedly a group or a race or some kind of cabal of big-headed mutants called melonheads, that were a science experiment?  Or something like that.
Shoes...

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2012, 12:13:43 pm »

In elementary school, everyone just knew that Bigfoot lived in the woods behind the school. My town's in the primary 'bigfoot-hunter' area, so I guess other people agree.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2012, 12:16:19 pm »

It's all in german; use Google Translate.
Speaking of which: Bielefeld.

Vactor

• Bay Watcher
  • ^^ DF 1.0 ^^
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2012, 12:17:56 pm »

"The Nash House"

An abandoned farm in the bottom of a valley, that has since reverted from farmland to forest.  The legend is the farm ended with the suicide of the final owner.  The local recreational trails run nearby. Snowmobilers are said to have their machines suddenly struggle to continue moving when passing by the farm, as if it were trying to pull a great weight, or a very heavy passenger just got on board.

(in a different time period this could be changed to horses struggling to move)

"The Tunneler"

The horror story at a local campground built atop a bluff was that a deranged man lived down alongside the river at the foot of the bluff, and used the natural cave system to move around under the campground, and had dug tunnels up underneath the cabins. Late at night he would open the floorboards under the beds to kidnap campers.
Wreck of Theseus: My 2D Roguelite Mech Platformer
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=141525.0

My AT-ST spore creature http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0btwvL9CNlA

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 19, 2012, 12:25:01 pm »

Have fun. Some of that stuff can be really wierd.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 19, 2012, 12:36:22 pm »

http://www.theshadowlands.net/places/missouri.htm

Use Ctrl-F to find:
Franklin County
Washington
Union
Sullivan
Villa Ridge
Rolla
Popular Bluff
Farmington
St. Louis
Desoto
Columbia
Quote from: Eric Blank
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.
Quote from: 2016 Election IRC
<DozebomLolumzalis> you filthy god-damn ninja wizard dragon
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5