Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Bucklers and shields  (Read 3873 times)

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
Bucklers and shields
« on: December 19, 2012, 09:04:23 am »

I've been pondering something about shields and bucklers, namely the differences between them. The wiki states it quite simply, shields give a better armor level and coverage but take more material to make...IF you use adamantine, otherwise it costs the same number of bars.

I could've sworn there was another major difference, namely one that made it better to give bucklers to marksdwarves. Is there any particular reason to bother with bucklers, then?
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

hermes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Bucklers and shields
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2012, 09:24:21 am »

I don't think so.  I mean, it's impossible to say "buckler" ten times in a row really quickly.  "Shield" is much easier though.  Shield +1
We can only guess at the longing of the creator. Someone who would need to create one such as you. - A Computer
I've been working on this type of thing...

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2012, 09:34:54 am »

I don't think so.  I mean, it's impossible to say "buckler" ten times in a row really quickly.  "Shield" is much easier though.  Shield +1

Bucklerbucklerbuckleblechler-augh. You're right. ;-;

Maybe I should test and see if dwarves are less easily tonguetied.
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

Urist Da Vinci

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL: ENGINEER:4]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2012, 10:00:53 am »

I could've sworn there was another major difference, namely one that made it better to give bucklers to marksdwarves. Is there any particular reason to bother with bucklers, then?

No, there isn't a good reason to bother with bucklers. People tend to make up explanations when they don't understand what is going on. Even if you are concerned about weight, you could give wood shields instead of metal shields. The material of a shield doesn't make a difference to the ability to block.

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2012, 10:27:38 am »

No, there isn't a good reason to bother with bucklers. People tend to make up explanations when they don't understand what is going on. Even if you are concerned about weight, you could give wood shields instead of metal shields. The material of a shield doesn't make a difference to the ability to block.

Oh derp. I vaguely recall they at least did something useful in 23a I think. Now if I'd only known that BEFORE inundating my markdwarves in adamantine bucklers.

Wait, that's my game where I tested horribly broken cheating reactions anyway. >_>
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2012, 05:08:26 pm »

Even if you are concerned about weight, you could give wood shields instead of metal shields. The material of a shield doesn't make a difference to the ability to block.
Leather's light too, and you can specify it in uniforms* by using the colour option to make 'brown shield' part of the uniform.

*Well, nearly, but the only other brown shield material is a kind of wood anyway.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2012, 12:39:16 am »

Even if you are concerned about weight, you could give wood shields instead of metal shields. The material of a shield doesn't make a difference to the ability to block.
Leather's light too, and you can specify it in uniforms* by using the colour option to make 'brown shield' part of the uniform.

*Well, nearly, but the only other brown shield material is a kind of wood anyway.

Or adamantine. I mean, if I'm going to start using adamantine, first priority is always the shield since they work so beautifully. Next on the priority list is helms, then breastplates, then greaves, then mail shirts, then finally gauntlet and boots if I can afford to.
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

Ganthan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2012, 08:45:45 am »

When it comes to blocking attacks, all materials perform exactly the same for shields.  Adamantine is no better than leather or wood.  The only real difference material makes is the damage inflicted with a shield bash; denser material is better.  For melee troops (as opposed to marksdwarves behind fortifications), the best shields are copper or silver.  The drawback to this is that heavier shields slow dwarves down a little bit more.  With enough strong and skilled dwarves this is pretty much of no consequence.

You're better off not wasting your precious adamantine for super light shields instead of plentiful wood or leather.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2012, 10:12:55 am »

I prefer mail shirts as the priority armour for adamantine after helms. Fewer wafers, more coverage, and about as good (bad) against bolts and arrows.

Silver isn't a shield material except for moods and mods.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

javierpwn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2012, 10:48:50 am »

Shields have a higher chance to block 20% instead of 10% I think, besides that, not much of a difference, except weight

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2012, 11:15:16 am »

I prefer mail shirts as the priority armour for adamantine after helms. Fewer wafers, more coverage, and about as good (bad) against bolts and arrows.

Silver isn't a shield material except for moods and mods.

Hmm. Though I thought breastplates were slightly better against blunt and penetrating type attacks?

Also, is Gatham right about the fact that shield material doesn't affect the defensive value? That would annoy me infinitely if I found out I'm wasting my time making adamantine shields. >_>
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

FrisianDude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2012, 12:38:18 pm »

The few times I've got myself access to adamantine I tended to make weapons of it first. There's something immensly satisfying about an ugly ogre cleft in twain by a bearded midget with a green knife.
A tiny, foul-tempered humanoid creature that dwells in the evil mountains. They are known to enjoy drinking liquor and will take any unguarded supplies of booze.

VerdantSF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2012, 01:02:30 pm »

Also, is Gatham right about the fact that shield material doesn't affect the defensive value? That would annoy me infinitely if I found out I'm wasting my time making adamantine shields. >_>

Sadly, yes.  Other than dealing with firebreathers, wood shields are just as good as any metal ones.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2012, 01:09:03 pm by VerdantSF »

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2012, 02:22:46 pm »

Hmm. Though I thought breastplates were slightly better against blunt and penetrating type attacks?
Slightly. There's a topic here that examines the subject of bolts vs. armour in detail. There's a particularly important post here. Unfortunately off the top of my head I don't know where the posts are detailing the default bolt momentum, but it's way, way higher than the 70-75 that allows any armour material to either succeed or fail (anything that isn't iron or steel is right on either border though). The fix for that, plus a much shorter explanation and some calculations, is in the sig of the post linked above.

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 21, 2012, 12:49:57 am »

Slightly. There's a topic here that examines the subject of bolts vs. armour in detail. There's a particularly important post here. Unfortunately off the top of my head I don't know where the posts are detailing the default bolt momentum, but it's way, way higher than the 70-75 that allows any armour material to either succeed or fail (anything that isn't iron or steel is right on either border though). The fix for that, plus a much shorter explanation and some calculations, is in the sig of the post linked above.

As I've noticed, seems like the only time you can shrug off bolts is with adamantine versus adamantine.

Does seem like piercing melee weapons are less inclined to ignore armor though, so I would assume the slightly higher armor level would be of greater use in melee.
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

Pages: [1] 2