Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11]

Author Topic: Games you regret buying - 2012  (Read 18168 times)

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
Re: Games you regret buying - 2012
« Reply #150 on: December 26, 2012, 11:12:59 pm »

There's a huge difference between different FPSes, though. I haven't played TF2 in ages because I don't find it all that fun (and the endless COLLECTING, and as of a year or two ago they've made it IMPOSSIBLE to collect everything, so now the only way to win is not to play). If that's the only one you've played, that doesn't really tell you if you'd hate other FPSes too.

I've played Battlefield 3, Modern Warfare, and countless other shooters later after TF2. The genre just ain't for me.
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

Hugehead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: December 27, 2012, 01:32:00 am »

Humble Bundles/Other Indie Bundles: Bundles have jumped the shark. It's been a long time since we've had an indie bundle that wasn't one well-known title padded with glorified flash games.
Have you seen the latest Humble Bundle? While I admit BoI is literally a flash game and Closure and Snapshot may be just 2 more puzzle platformers, but the other 3 games are quite good and the fact that Dungeon Defenders comes with all the DLC is really just icing on the bundle cake.
We're Bay12er's. If there is a bug, we will find it, exploit it, and make a recursive statue out of it. Just look up Planepacked.
When a dwarf enters a martial trance, they become Jedi. Short, drunken Jedi.

fenrif

• Bay Watcher
  • Dare to be stupid.
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: December 27, 2012, 04:32:05 am »

Dungeon Defenders would be one of my most regretted games of last year I think. That game is poo.

Catastrophic lolcats

• Bay Watcher
  • [FORTRESSDESTROYER:2]
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: December 27, 2012, 04:39:26 am »

Dungeon Defenders would be one of my most regretted games of last year I think. That game is poo.
I forgot about that game. Got it in an indie bundle ages ago.
My experience: loaded up a server, matched me with max level players, got power leveled to some extreme level in a few seconds, quit, uninstalled the game, moved it into the "trash category". The mobile devices can keep that inferior version of Orcs Must Die! in my opinion.

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: December 27, 2012, 04:47:42 am »

That's interesting, I thought Orcs Must Die was a boring turd and Dungeon Defenders was playable at least til endgame. I was playing DD with a friend though (I don't play public games... pretty much ever, of anything), so that probably made a difference.
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

Hugehead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: December 27, 2012, 09:51:43 am »

Just because you don't like it doesn't make it poo. I've played over 100 hours and in my opinion it's a very good Diablo/Tower Defense mix.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2012, 10:09:53 am by Hugehead »
We're Bay12er's. If there is a bug, we will find it, exploit it, and make a recursive statue out of it. Just look up Planepacked.
When a dwarf enters a martial trance, they become Jedi. Short, drunken Jedi.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: December 27, 2012, 12:07:47 pm »

Stronghold 3, for obvious reasons...
Avadon: The Black Fortress, because I got it in a bundle pack, but the pacing is so slow that I usually play the game at midnight because it puts me to sleep, it's so boring.
Demolition Inc., because it's horridly immature...  Like "Giant green space trucker gives you a BIG grinning thumb up :D"
Hinterland, because my monitor is bigger than 800x600 but the game things that this is 1995 or something...  The lack of zoom-out totally kills the game because pretty much any ranged weapon can shoot further than you can see.
Eufloria, because as much as it makes itself to be something different, it's just a flash game.
Metal Drift, because I got it as part of a pack, but I've already played Extreme G so what's the point?
APOX, because when it came out it had always-onling-DRM, not because of a cash shop, but because it wanted to keep track of your score.  If you didn't have internet, it couldn't keep tabs on your career moves and it didn't let you play.  Also mortar teams have longer range than snipers, so all defense is worthless while offense can just sit at-range and take out whole bases, often from the other side of a mountain.

That's handy on my Steam list, anyways...

Rakonas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: December 27, 2012, 02:00:33 pm »

Just looking at my steam library, EYE: Divine Cybermancy, HOARD, Legend of Grimrock, Sword of the Stars 2, and Tropico 4.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: December 27, 2012, 03:57:21 pm »

I found Dungeon Defenders boring because it's just a pure tower defense game.  I was hoping for more interactive gameplay, but what you do with your adventurer doesn't get much deeper than figuring out where best to stand and hold down the attack button.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #159 on: December 27, 2012, 04:09:00 pm »

...Achron.  ...[a] truly beautiful concept that [was] let down by mind bogglingly bad design elements and underdeveloped mechanics.

So true. So true.

I really wanted to enjoy Achron, but they made a rediculously complex attempt at 3-way balancing that just plain didn't work.

They really should have:
1: Made the time travel window much wider
2: Made only one side with a branching tech tree and a comprehensible art style.
3: Used conventional unit controls rather than the bizarre alt-shift-right-click approach.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Mullet Master

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: December 27, 2012, 04:35:36 pm »

Syndicate : Such promise, fun gameplay, but payed $59.95 for a game wholly reliant on co-op but even 2 months after it came out, nobody was playing. No variation in gameplay, gets old quick.

Guns of Icarus Online : I loved GoI, but this was... ill conceived, at best. It would have been a 100x better if they would have focused on getting networking properly working and expanded co-op play. Maybe made a true MMORPG eqsue game out of it. As is, barely playable. I also bought Air Buccaneers, and dislike it, but the fact that I paid $1 for that game makes it not as dissapointing as GoI:O

Modern Warfare 3 : Barely played it compared to MW1 & MW2. Single player even worse than MW2. Good game, just regret buying it at $60 and only putting 20 hours in it.

Prison-Architect alpha: I've published enough volumes on here already on why I don't like it. The best one line explanation is it is very unlikely to grow up to be even a below-average game. It may become a casual simulation at best.

Max Payne 3 (PC): Absolutely loved the game, but I loved the multiplayer too. The PC version multiplayer has so few players it is nearly unplayable, even when you do find players, half of them are blatantly hacking. Rockstar seems to have no interest in fixing anything PC wise. I keep trying to play every month or so, but every time I boot it up I wish I would have bought the 360 version.

fenrif

• Bay Watcher
  • Dare to be stupid.
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: December 27, 2012, 04:42:57 pm »

Just because you don't like it doesn't make it poo. I've played over 100 hours and in my opinion it's a very good Diablo/Tower Defense mix.

Just because you like it doesn't make it not-poo. I've played over 4 hours of it and in my opinion it's a big pile of poo.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: December 27, 2012, 05:09:02 pm »

The recent HIBs except for the one with botanicula and that game about mars have been kinda shitty, but then again they were one hell of a bargain.

What is funny is I saw that and went "wow this game looks terrible" and now I found out... Yes indeed it was terrible.

Yodamaster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: December 27, 2012, 05:25:57 pm »

Avadon: The Black Fortress, because I got it in a bundle pack, but the pacing is so slow that I usually play the game at midnight because it puts me to sleep, it's so boring.

Have you played the Geneforge games? They're by the same developer, and earlier works of his, but far superior and absolutely worth playing. A ton of fun.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: December 27, 2012, 05:27:24 pm »

Have you played the Geneforge games? They're by the same developer, and earlier works of his, but far superior and absolutely worth playing. A ton of fun.

It must really take a while to get going because so far they are really boring and the plot doesn't help with strong indications of favortism for certain NPCs.

No I am not being sarcastic... it must really take a while because DANG that was a terrible start of game.
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11]