Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11

Author Topic: Games you regret buying - 2012  (Read 18174 times)

de5me7

• Bay Watcher
  • urban spaceman
    • View Profile
Re: Games you regret buying - 2012
« Reply #135 on: December 25, 2012, 09:24:37 pm »

Witcher, Picked it up cheap somewheres (perhaps Gog can't remember). Played for fourty minutes and realised i was yet to do anything other than watch cut scenes or click on stuff in the order the designer intended, yawn. Also im sort of bored with writers using amnesia to dive plots.
I haven't been able to get any vomit this release. Not any I can pick up, at any rate.
Swans, too. Swans are complete bastards.

NobodyPro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: December 25, 2012, 09:46:32 pm »

Battlefield 3: Could barely run it and the graphics settings were somewhere between a mediocre console port and a console game (in terms of turning stuff off). Origin turned out to be as bad as everybody said it was and I can't even run Battlefield 3 offline without patching Origin. At least Steam patches itself in the background after you log in (and you can turn that off). Server list opened up in Firefox and the number of pacific servers at the time was somewhere close to zero. I pre-ordered it and was able to play for all of 15 minutes three months after purchase before another Origin patch was released.

Paul

• Bay Watcher
  • Polite discourse with a dash of insanity.
    • View Profile
    • Need an affordable website? I can help.
« Reply #137 on: December 26, 2012, 12:49:28 am »

I'd say Borderlands 2, but I got it free as part of my video card so it wasn't really a purchase. Didn't enjoy it much, though.

Other than that I've been pretty happy with the games I bought. Got a few duds in bundle deals, but the deals were so cheap I wasn't expecting much anyway and I got what I paid for. Even the worst of them were entertaining long enough to be worth the cheapo prices I got them at. I haven't really bought any big budget games lately, though.

Starfarer.

I like the arcade action of the battles, but that's all that the game has going for it. It never quite managed to go as big as it was envisioned, into multiple worlds and dynamic economies, etc. Additionally, it seems like development is headed down the boring RPG path into making current gameplay features harder to unlock through a grindy character-leveling system, rather than actually adding more gameplay.

I have probably narrowly played out my $20 worth of the game, but it hardly compares to the windfall returns of gameplay I grabbed for $12 when I bought Mount and Blade at version 0.632

Starfarer is only on version .54, the campaign for it is a placeholder single system with a few stations and no meaningful game play outside the battles has been added yet. How can you write that off as a regret when it's so early in development? You may as well say "Well, that kid was supposed to be smart, but he never managed to finish high school" when the kid is 3. M&B was pretty crap early in development, I remember versions with nothing but a town called Zendar and fighting little groups around it and no real goals.
Do you like Science Fiction? I'm writing the Weaveborn Saga over on Royal Road and my website. Link

WealthyRadish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: December 26, 2012, 01:49:50 am »

Starfarer.

I like the arcade action of the battles, but that's all that the game has going for it. It never quite managed to go as big as it was envisioned, into multiple worlds and dynamic economies, etc. Additionally, it seems like development is headed down the boring RPG path into making current gameplay features harder to unlock through a grindy character-leveling system, rather than actually adding more gameplay.

I have probably narrowly played out my $20 worth of the game, but it hardly compares to the windfall returns of gameplay I grabbed for $12 when I bought Mount and Blade at version 0.632

It is slow in development, but if you liked M&B, I can't see the argument against a game with a nearly identical skill system. I'd say that it's less grindy than M&B's, since it has lower attribute requirements for the skills and the experience curve flattens much less quickly. I can see how it may be a bit annoying in the current release to have hull mods briefly restricted, but that'll pretty much instantly evaporate with the officer release. As Paul said, writing it off this early doesn't make any sense.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: December 26, 2012, 02:01:57 am »

Boarderlands 2 seasons pass...

I am not that interested in Boarderlands 2 it is just one of those things you are roped into buying because otherwise you are left out of the loop. Like Diablo 3

Hmm wait... Diablo 3 came out this year... I put Diablo 3 as the game I regret the most. The MMORPG disguised as a game.

yamo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: December 26, 2012, 02:22:36 am »

I regret buying Football Manager 2010 back in 2010.  It is a great game and I've played it for hundreds and hundreds of hours.  It is my favorite game and even after I bought some other shiny, new game I found myself playing FM instead.  But...in July Sports Interactive installed DRM without my permision and the drm won't connect so I can't play FM without Steam,  I bought and registered the game 2 years ago but now I can't play the game without using Steam.  I don't like Steam.  I don't want to use Steam.  The patch to remove the DRM posted at GamersGate, my POS, does not remove the DRM though it claims it does.  GG's response was, "Take it up with SI."  So now when/if I play FM I feel like a cheap whore.  And I can never buy a game from Sega, SI, or GG ever again...because i don't want to feel like a cheap whore.  I really regret buying FM.  :-[
« Last Edit: December 26, 2012, 02:24:27 am by yamo »
Then again, I consider Infinity to be overly ambitious, something that might easily spell it's downfall.

-Blackthorne

Scelly9

• Bay Watcher
  • That crazy long-haired queer liberal communist
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: December 26, 2012, 02:56:12 am »

I regret buying Football Manager 2010 back in 2010.  It is a great game and I've played it for hundreds and hundreds of hours.  It is my favorite game and even after I bought some other shiny, new game I found myself playing FM instead.  But...in July Sports Interactive installed DRM without my permision and the drm won't connect so I can't play FM without Steam,  I bought and registered the game 2 years ago but now I can't play the game without using Steam.  I don't like Steam.  I don't want to use Steam.  The patch to remove the DRM posted at GamersGate, my POS, does not remove the DRM though it claims it does.  GG's response was, "Take it up with SI."  So now when/if I play FM I feel like a cheap whore.  And I can never buy a game from Sega, SI, or GG ever again...because i don't want to feel like a cheap whore.  I really regret buying FM.  :-[
Do you also not watch movies that have copy protect?
You taste the jug! It is ceramic.
Quote from: Loud Whispers
SUPPORT THE COMMUNIST GAY MOVEMENT!

fenrif

• Bay Watcher
  • Dare to be stupid.
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: December 26, 2012, 05:05:33 am »

Hmm wait... Diablo 3 came out this year... I put Diablo 3 as the game I regret the most. The MMORPG revenue stream disguised as a game.

Fixed that for you.

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: December 26, 2012, 09:23:45 am »

Team Fortress 2.

I just hate FPS and never knew it until I started playing TF2. Gah, I should've tried some free first person shooters first.
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

Donuts

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Madman
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: December 26, 2012, 09:32:43 am »

Team Fortress 2.

I just hate FPS and never knew it until I started playing TF2. Gah, I should've tried some free first person shooters first.
You one of us who paid the 30$ or something a few months before it became free?
"Oh shit, they've got a slogan! It means they're serious!"

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: December 26, 2012, 09:45:53 am »

There's a huge difference between different FPSes, though. I haven't played TF2 in ages because I don't find it all that fun (and the endless COLLECTING, and as of a year or two ago they've made it IMPOSSIBLE to collect everything, so now the only way to win is not to play). If that's the only one you've played, that doesn't really tell you if you'd hate other FPSes too.
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: December 26, 2012, 11:15:01 am »

Probably Guild Wars 2 -- not because I don't enjoy it, but because it's yet another "Oh hey, finally an excuse for me and the guys to hang out online" that turned into "Oh hey, nobody else is ever on, guess I'll go work on my solo characters who are now umpteen levels higher than my "main" since we never play". Just like Champions Online was a couple of years ago.

At least it's not subscription-based, so I don't feel like I'm burning money by not playing.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: December 26, 2012, 08:44:05 pm »

Team Fortress 2.

You one of us who paid the 30$ or something a few months before it became free?
Yeah.  :(
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

Geen

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm gonna live forever, or die trying.
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: December 26, 2012, 08:52:28 pm »

The recent HIBs except for the one with botanicula and that game about mars have been kinda shitty, but then again they were one hell of a bargain.

Nega

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Lizard Wizard
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: December 26, 2012, 09:15:22 pm »

War Z. Most boring game on earth. I died from walking down a hill, got sniped by a hacker, and eventually got banned because I played for too long.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11