Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11

Author Topic: Games you regret buying - 2012  (Read 18191 times)

caleb

• Bay Watcher
  • Current Fort - Ironwrath
    • View Profile
Re: Games you regret buying - 2012
« Reply #120 on: December 21, 2012, 01:29:12 am »

Lone Survivor- Didn't make a whole lot of sense after a couple of hours.
Project Zomboid - Still in pretty early stages but looks much more fun than it really is for me.
Legend of Grimrock - see Project Zomboid
FTL - Didn't find the depth for me.
Cardinal Quest/ Hack, Slash, Loot - Typical kind of roguelikes but missing the complexity of better games like Stone Soup.

Seraphim342

• Bay Watcher
  • Magma Cum Laude
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: December 21, 2012, 02:46:27 am »

I was referring to the original OFP, not the "sequel."  For me, the problem I had with OFP and ARMA is that the more realistic a game tries to be, the more it makes me aware of the limitations, which ironically breaks my immersion.  The AI moves up and down the sliding scale between genius and moronic depending on the situation, cover and concealment are pretty arbitrary, etc.  You don't move like a person moves, you have to expose much more of your body to fire from cover than you should (which is big with the quasi-realistic damage), the computer always knows where you are and has to guess whether or not it can "see" you and the same goes for whether or not they hit you when they fire.  Not saying they aren't good games and don't do the best they can with the tools available, but they end up not being my cup of tea. 
I like to think that on the other side of the world a human is walking on the beach, notices the water level suddenly drop twenty feet, and whispers "fucking dwarves."

"The cows seem to lose bowel control when launched... I consider this a feature."

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: December 21, 2012, 02:55:39 am »

You really should never buy a game just to get a mod for it, always make sure that the base gameplay is fun or interesting to you or you'll make a purchase you'll regret.

Done it plenty of times.  In fact, the quality of the mod community is a deciding factor in many of my game purchases.  I think this is the first time I've regretted it, and that may still change.  I talked to a friend yesterday who is really into it, and he's going to help me out.  I previously only tried it out for a few hours on my own.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Folly

• Bay Watcher
  • Steam Profile: 76561197996956175
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: December 25, 2012, 02:35:59 am »

Playstation All Stars.
Paid $60 for a game that was worth closer to $15.

Trollheiming

• Bay Watcher
  • I do. I really do.
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: December 25, 2012, 03:21:08 am »

Starfarer.

I like the arcade action of the battles, but that's all that the game has going for it. It never quite managed to go as big as it was envisioned, into multiple worlds and dynamic economies, etc. Additionally, it seems like development is headed down the boring RPG path into making current gameplay features harder to unlock through a grindy character-leveling system, rather than actually adding more gameplay.

I have probably narrowly played out my $20 worth of the game, but it hardly compares to the windfall returns of gameplay I grabbed for $12 when I bought Mount and Blade at version 0.632

alexandertnt

• Bay Watcher
  • (map 'list (lambda (post) (+ post awesome)) posts)
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: December 25, 2012, 03:38:06 am »

You don't move like a person moves

This was one of the biggest issues I had with DayZ and one of the reasons I regret buying it (ARMA). It was like they tried to implement "realistic" movement and failed pretty badly. Moving through cramped interiors while proned (the sorts of things that people would be able to do without much issue in real life) was fustrating and fiddly.

I don't completely regret buying it, I did have some fun times with friends. But not 30 dollars of fun. Most of the time was spent running to cities from spawn points located in wilderness. Also it would have been nice if night was *slightly* brighter. I like the extreme darkness, but maby there should just bearly enough light to make out the outlines of buildings close up or something, instead of setting any part of the screen that is not sky to RGB 0,0,0. Also the interface is garbage.
This is when I imagine the hilarity which may happen if certain things are glichy. Such as targeting your own body parts to eat.

You eat your own head
YOU HAVE BEEN STRUCK DOWN!

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: December 25, 2012, 04:08:26 am »

Dishonored.  I love the setting and a lot of the gameplay.  But I generally need some sort of challenge when I play games, and a stealth game that gives you the ability to see all nearby enemies through walls within the first real mission simply isn't challenging.

I'll probably go back to it at some point just to mess around though.

Edit: And I'm not sure why I didn't mention this originally since its sort of relevant to the conversation, but Arma 2 is shaping up to be a regret.  Its obviously a cool game, but I can't fight past more than a small group or two of enemies without getting shot in the face.  I'm also not sure I like their level designer's style.  The first objective you have any real freedom in how you accomplish it is killing a sniper, which is timed in a game where you're supposed to be going slowly and pits you against an enemy that will rapidly one-shot your squadmates in a game where losing a squaddie is game over.  On top of that there are all sorts of little annoyances; objective markers that are off target or lead to you getting shot by a sniper if you walk directly towards them, allied tanks that give you game over by running over your squad mates, and random team members (INCLUDING YOU) randomly yelling things like "enemy man in front very close" when no one is in sight.  Oh, and the squad I'm supposed to help cursing me for not coming to their rescue right after thanking me for coming to their rescue, not that I could kill that stupid sniper anyway (I've been stuck on this one objective for a while, and yes I know its optional).
« Last Edit: December 25, 2012, 04:24:37 am by EnigmaticHat »
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

fenrif

• Bay Watcher
  • Dare to be stupid.
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: December 25, 2012, 05:03:18 am »

You don't move like a person moves

This was one of the biggest issues I had with DayZ and one of the reasons I regret buying it (ARMA). It was like they tried to implement "realistic" movement and failed pretty badly. Moving through cramped interiors while proned (the sorts of things that people would be able to do without much issue in real life) was fustrating and fiddly.

I don't completely regret buying it, I did have some fun times with friends. But not 30 dollars of fun. Most of the time was spent running to cities from spawn points located in wilderness. Also it would have been nice if night was *slightly* brighter. I like the extreme darkness, but maby there should just bearly enough light to make out the outlines of buildings close up or something, instead of setting any part of the screen that is not sky to RGB 0,0,0. Also the interface is garbage.

For what it's worth there are a few mods that drastically improve movement in ARMA 2, especially indoors and in other cramped areas... Of course Rocket will not have his perfect art project tarnished, so DayZ wont play nice with them.

Everyone who bought ARMA 2 for DayZ and regrets it, try out wasteland. You don't have to download anything to get it to work, just filter for wasteland in the server browser. It plays much better to ARMA 2s strengths and is actually fun to play and not a horrible chore of an experience.

DemonOfWrath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: December 25, 2012, 06:52:49 am »

Achron, definitely Achron. Most amazing concept in the world and incredible that it actually works. Everything else is awful, I find it sad as an RTS fan that an RTS released this year is (aside from working time travel) worse than AoE1 in every single regard. The graphics, UI and controls simply made my brain bleed they were that awful.

Donuts

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Madman
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: December 25, 2012, 10:00:12 am »

Hearts of Iron 2. Of COURSE it didn't work.
"Oh shit, they've got a slogan! It means they're serious!"

fenrif

• Bay Watcher
  • Dare to be stupid.
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: December 25, 2012, 10:14:37 am »

Chivalry: Bought it yesterday in the Steam sales after I missed the War of the Roses sale, hoping it'd scratch that itch. Unfortunatly it's kinda lame, feels really stilted and slow, and you can't design your own crest/ wear fancy hats. :(

aristabulus

• Bay Watcher
  • Fnordius Maximus
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: December 25, 2012, 04:36:03 pm »

I think Valve already has the fancy hat thing covered, fenrif....  ;)
If iron is to become steel, it must feel fire! --ancient Dwarven proverb

What is steel compared to the hand that wields it?  --Thulsa Doom

PanH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: December 25, 2012, 05:31:46 pm »

Occasionally, I think of X-com: Enemy Unknown due to the sheer number of bugs that seems to exclusively plague me.
You're not alone.

sambojin

• Bay Watcher
  • Three seconds to catsplosion and counting.......
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: December 25, 2012, 05:34:22 pm »

Diablo 3. I bought the boxed game for $90 Australian (don't even get me started on the price markups compared to overseas. The Aussie dollar has been stronger than the US all year, yet we pay more). I loved D2, but for some reason I couldn't get into D3. I don't know why. They're similar games, multiplayer co-op and trading is more stream-lined, there's a lot of good things about it. I think it was just the loot system wasn't broad enough to make items interesting.

They've patched it into a workable game, there's at least a few skill combo's for each class that makes for interesting play, but I just can't get into the game as a whole. I ended up selling it for $30 to a friend (bye, bye Blizzard account. I'll set up another the next time you release something decent).

The strange thing is, I regret that too. I don't know if it's some weird sort of sado-masochistic  addiction, perhaps an ingrained feeling from playing so much D2, but I want the game to be good. I'd probably even play it again, just to see if it's somehow magically gotten more interesting overnight. I'm actually thinking that I might buy it again once they release an expansion, assuming they fix up the items and classes a little more.

Oh god, I really must be stupid.
« Last Edit: December 25, 2012, 05:40:01 pm by sambojin »
It's a game. Have fun.

PrimusRibbus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: December 25, 2012, 06:14:05 pm »

FTL: It's more of a pseudo-randomly generated boardgame with interesting combat sequences than it is a roguelike or a space exploration game. There's nothing really wrong with that, but I didn't find it that fun for the long term; I'd had my fill after about 2 hours of play.

Humble Bundles/Other Indie Bundles: Bundles have jumped the shark. It's been a long time since we've had an indie bundle that wasn't one well-known title padded with glorified flash games.

It does frustrate me to hear all the zombie bandwagon people bash ArmA. Forever will ArmA's community of people wanting methodical, custom-made, highly cooperative multiplayer play have to deal with zombie fans yelling about how awful the game is because a bad mod didn't live up to its hype as Left4Dead 3.

You bought a niche simulator just because it had an alpha mod with zombies in it, and it wasn't what you expected? Color me surprised.

I just hope the zombie community never notices any of the Dwarf Fortress zombie mods; forever would DF be known as "the overhyped zombie game that was just a bunch of letters on the screen."
grammar is for essays and letters and second FREEDOM TO POST except obscene material
THE ONLY THING THAT'S GONNA GRIND IN THIS GAME IS YOUR ASS ON THE PAVEMENT
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11