Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 11

Author Topic: Games you regret buying - 2012  (Read 18238 times)

Caz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:comforting whirs]
    • View Profile
Re: Games you regret buying - 2012
« Reply #60 on: December 19, 2012, 02:55:48 pm »

Also The Witcher, Avadon and Civ V (not a fave, but I got 55 hours of enjoyment out of it).  I also really like the look of Psychonauts.  It's on The List.  Guess it would be a boring world if we all had the same tastes anyway.

Have you played the Geneforge series? Spiderweb software seems to be going downhill sadly. If they remake Avernum/Exile again I'm gonna hurl something.

ScriptWolf

• Bay Watcher
  • You can't spell slaughter without laughter!
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: December 19, 2012, 03:19:38 pm »

War z :( I think everyone knows why :P
He must be running 3.5 abacuses of RAM

toomanysecrets

• Bay Watcher
  • Jackpot.
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: December 19, 2012, 03:34:03 pm »

Resident Evil 5.  Got it cause it was only $20, and I was obsessed with RE4 when it came out, not to mention the earlier ones, which were classic...but this was a let down in almost every way imaginable.

Worst part is your partner, who shouts OK! or Roger! when you gave commands, completely shattering any sense of immersion. I could go on but just trust me--it's awful.

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: December 19, 2012, 03:57:30 pm »

Hmm, starting from Jan 1st...

Dungeon Defenders. It was fun until I hit level cap and saw how awkward, annoying, or utterly useless everyone except the mage was. Oh, and getting to the top difficulty gives you a 50% or more cut in personal damage, so you basically hit cap and see that your character is now utterly useless.

Wolfenstein. The missions are fun on their own, but you can't revisit old ones (unless it's immediately after finishing) to collect power ups you might have missed. The village interludes got repetitive after mission 3. Just fails to deliver the plot and pacing of Return to Castle Wolfenstein on all counts.

Legend of Grimrock. Awkward controls and boring character design done in the name of nostalgia. Felt clunky and limited rather than anxious. Barely finished one floor and gave up.
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: December 19, 2012, 03:58:19 pm »

Also The Witcher, Avadon and Civ V (not a fave, but I got 55 hours of enjoyment out of it).  I also really like the look of Psychonauts.  It's on The List.  Guess it would be a boring world if we all had the same tastes anyway.

Have you played the Geneforge series? Spiderweb software seems to be going downhill sadly. If they remake Avernum/Exile again I'm gonna hurl something.

I have played part of the first, and intend to return to them at some point in the future.  I think Dark Souls may have happened.
Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth

Scelly9

• Bay Watcher
  • That crazy long-haired queer liberal communist
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: December 19, 2012, 04:04:18 pm »

Super Meat Boy. Not because of the game itself, I love it, but because of the extreme pain of kicking a wood desk while raging. I've done this around four times now.
You taste the jug! It is ceramic.
Quote from: Loud Whispers
SUPPORT THE COMMUNIST GAY MOVEMENT!

Caz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:comforting whirs]
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: December 19, 2012, 04:20:47 pm »

I have played part of the first, and intend to return to them at some point in the future.  I think Dark Souls may have happened.

The first three are pretty clunky and ugly-looking, but the story makes up for it. When I played Geneforge 2 (first one I tried) the story just blew me away. Geneforge 5 is also excellent and the nicest looking graphics-wise.

eharper256

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary +5 Nep-Nep Fanboy
    • View Profile
    • Detarame
« Reply #67 on: December 19, 2012, 04:47:39 pm »

Things I regret buying in 2012?

Carrier Command: Gaea Mission. Its not finished, and bugged up, the plot is hilarious, the AI is stoopid, and the final build has alot of problems STILL that were highlighted in the public beta. Fortunately, it was reduced when I bought it, else I'd be far madder about it.

Most Humble Bundles / Indie Royales. Oh there were some real nice games, but overall, it was typically one shining gem in a pile of junk (and I could often ID the gem straight away, though there were a couple of surprises). I guess this is not a regret buying, but regret playing in some cases. Still, its sure buffed up my Steam List.

Soul Calibur V.
Frankly its a joke compared to SCII, my last one. About the only saving grace is the character creator.

Choplifter HD WHAT WAS I THINKING? Oh right, the original Gameboy game was awesome back in '92. This remake was not.

On the other Hand. Things that were worth it:

X-COM Enemy Unknown. I'm a veteran of the series, and I was quite satisfied. I think people have become spoiled and forget it was remake and that whilst the original was AMAZING back in '93, its going to age in some form or another. The only thing that actually pissed me off was Firaxis being F**king lazy about their Windows XP support. I had to hack my own exe to play... TO CHANGE 2 Lines and add 1 DLL. Oh, and the DLC makes me roll my eyes, but then all DLC makes me roll my eyes unless it's at expansion pack level.

Dragons Dogma. Despite it being Capcom, it actually turned out to be very good.

Kamidori Alchemy Meister. I bought a 2nd-hand copy on ebay to support the fanlation. Its a great visual-novel RPG.

Shogun II. Actually very enjoyable, and a reminder of when Total War was good. Well, it was so long as you fan-patched the cheating strategic AI, ignored the hilarious Japanese mistakes (did you know your troops shout 'RETREAT!' when charging the enemy!?), and didn't mind the Tactical AI being dumb during sieges. But it was enough to be considered good.

FTL. Great game; a tribute to how fun Roguelikes should be, and how space exploration games should be, all in the same mixing pot.

Fortune Summoners, Secret of the Elemental Stone. Actually really quite fun, barring the respawning bees, combining a Loli-RPG with a fluffy plot, beat-em-up level controls, and a Y's-esq. platformer. Actually I still need to finish it, but those goddamn bees!

All Three Atelier PS3 Games (Rorona, Totori, Meruru). Probably some of the best fun I've had all year; and they get progressively better.

On the Fence/Out to Lunch

Guild Wars II.  It really is fun... to begin with... and I've sunk about 200 hours into it; but I can understand everyone's complaints about it, eventually, when none of my guild's online, poor elementalists and necros are still nerfed, PvP is pants (IMHO), Events are zergrushes, and I've not seen any new powers/abilities for 10 levels, it's starting to become tiresome. Whilst getting rid of the Holy Trinity was a triumph; they didn't put any bones back in its place, so it eventually collapsed under its own weight. As a result, there's not any real incentive to actually party except to be friendly and have party chat. On the other hand, I see it as a nice stepping stone for potential future MMO's: it did alot of things right and was (I think) mostly a commercial success; so hopefully developers and businessmen see that and improve it.

EDIT: AND WHAT I WANT IN 2013
Fire Emblem 3DS (Kakusei): Because Nintendo finally stopped masturbating to Marth and remaking his games again and actually made a good Fire Emblem with this; with alot of improvements (Offensive Supports! LOADS of Choices and conversations between people!). It better get translated already.

Etrian Odyssey IV: Because there's never enough Etrian. Though I'm probably shafted since 3DS has region lock now and there's not been an European EO release since the first game.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2012, 05:01:54 pm by eharper256 »
"If the world's a stage, and the people actors, then who the f**k has my script!?"
Community Fort "Lakebones"
My Games & Anime Blog, Detarame

PanH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: December 19, 2012, 04:48:43 pm »

There's actually a thread for "most well bought games" if you want.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: December 19, 2012, 05:17:33 pm »

Diablo III.  Just extremely mediocre.  I have one play through on normal difficulty, and couldn't really gather the energy or care to play through nightmare, much less go all the way and grind bosses like I did in Diablo II.

...that may be the only game I've bought this year.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: December 19, 2012, 05:21:45 pm »

Soul Calibur V. Frankly its a joke compared to SCII, my last one. About the only saving grace is the character creator

Ohh I sold that when I bought it. It honestly lost its original soul and become just another fighter.

My issue is I bet it is more popular for becoming more mundane.

I mean a fighter that isn't about super long combos or super moves as well as 3d movement being an important part of the game? I love it! Is that what Soul Calibur 5 is? NOPE! they added long combos and super moves.

neotemplar

• Bay Watcher
  • The [Weapon] has lodged firmly in the wound!
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: December 19, 2012, 05:26:53 pm »

I bought one of those fossil fighters games for the DS, it is horrendously boring.

I also was very displeased by dragon warrior monsters Joker, unlike Pokemon they did nearly nothing to update the game play.  Fancy 3d graphics are meaningless and not a real update.  They should have massively busted out the breeding system, which is what set the original game apart from Pokemon.

I also have a ton of little blips that are supporting games from bundles, a lot of them were awful, but at least I got around 1 great game per set.  (Albeit the recent Groupees greenlight bundle, which I got several from, which all suck terribly.)

I will also confirm that Avadon was an utter stinker.  I have all the Geneforge and Avernum games and they are VASTLY better than that sack of crap.

Darksiders I fail to understand how this is fun

However the absolute worst game (a bundle support):

Rig N Roll

I cannot describe how not fun this is.

Awesome games:

Fortune Summoners was wonderful
Mount and Blade Napoleonic wars got me 100 more hours of play time
Darklands (recent but I played it in the past)
King Of Dragon Pass
Baldur's Gate 1+2 which I owned prior but only really began to play this year
Metro 2033 this is very atmospheric, perhaps my #2 for atmosphere after Kings field the ancient city

If not under Neotemplar look for Vellum.

<22:07:06> "Terry": If a kid is old enough to play D&D
<22:07:20> "Terry": A kid is old enough to experience a dolphin being strangled

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: December 19, 2012, 05:30:51 pm »

Soul Blade > Soul Calibur.
Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: December 19, 2012, 05:54:38 pm »

Do you mean Soul Edge?

I don't think Sould Blade was a game.

(I have and enjoyed Soul Edge, but honestly #3 was the peak of the series for me. I loved how the characters handled.)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: December 19, 2012, 05:55:37 pm »

Honestly the 3rd was sort of the template of how they could do the game well.

Did it have problems? Yes big problems.

Would a perfected 3rd game be the best in the series? Probably yes.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 11