Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 11

Author Topic: Games you regret buying - 2012  (Read 18228 times)

PanH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Games you regret buying - 2012
« Reply #15 on: December 19, 2012, 08:18:12 am »

Surprised noone said "War Z" yet.
Can you put it in "regret buying" if you already got a refund ?
« Last Edit: December 19, 2012, 08:26:10 am by PanH »

timferius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 19, 2012, 08:30:01 am »

Deadspace 1 and 2. they seem like fun games, but I'm extremely jumpy, and therefore hate the "JUMP OUT AND LOUD NOISE RAAAAAAAARGH" style of horror genre... I can play the game in short spurts before I need to pause to get my heart rate down.... Doesn't help that I can only play at night (due to kids) and with my headphones on (due to wife) and my headphones are pretty solid headphones, and block outside noise well...

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 19, 2012, 08:46:05 am »

I think I bought these in 2012, and I liked none of them:
Dungeons of Dredmor (too silly), The Binding of Isaac (bad controls), Psychonauts (stupid graphics / story), Civilization V (Slow and less fun than the two previous games), Swords & Sorcery (all-around crappy game), The Witcher (horrible controls), Towns (I like my DF-likes to be more playable than DF, not less), Anonaly Warzone Earth (horrible gameplay / story), Avadon: The Black Fortress (blergh), BIT.TRIP RUNNER (why is this even on Steam?), Wizorb (I don't remember playing it, but I do remember not liking it), S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Call of Pripyat (invisible magical cyclones aren't fun).

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 19, 2012, 08:49:31 am »

Dungeons of Dredmor (too silly), The Binding of Isaac (bad controls), Psychonauts (stupid graphics / story), Civilization V (Slow and less fun than the two previous games), Swords & Sorcery (all-around crappy game), The Witcher (horrible controls), Towns (I like my DF-likes to be more playable than DF, not less), Anonaly Warzone Earth (horrible gameplay / story), Avadon: The Black Fortress (blergh), BIT.TRIP RUNNER (why is this even on Steam?), Wizorb (I don't remember playing it, but I do remember not liking it), S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Call of Pripyat (invisible magical cyclones aren't fun).

You've just named some of my absolute favourite games.
Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth

PanH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 19, 2012, 08:51:41 am »

Swords & Sorcery (all-around crappy game)
You must like Swords & Sorcery at least for the music. I did enjoyed it much, especially playing it with a friend.

I was wanting to say WarZ and War of the Roses, but I got a refund for both.
And, as a GW player, GW2.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 19, 2012, 08:56:00 am »

I have actually no idea What Swords & Sorcery is about. I took me 30 minutes to figure out how to walk, and after 5 minutes of playing I got stuck and decided I was the worst game I ever played.

@Lordcooper, which ones? I assume DoD, BoI, and Stalker?

edit: I actually got most of those game in one dollar humble indie bundles, so I don't really regret buying them as much as I regret playing them.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2012, 09:00:26 am by Dutchling »

Catastrophic lolcats

• Bay Watcher
  • [FORTRESSDESTROYER:2]
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 19, 2012, 09:00:16 am »

I have to agree there. BoI, Psychonauts, S.T.A.L.K.E.R. series and The Witcher are some of my all time favourites. All of them (with the exception of Psychonauts) have quite a steep learning curve which is why I can understand why people don't like them/get frustrated.

I think after playing so much modded S.T.A.L.K.E.R. it has finally over taken Half-Life 2 as my all time favourite FPS. S.T.A.L.K.E.R. 2 being cancelled is evidence there is no gods or justice in the universe.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 19, 2012, 09:03:12 am »

I only dislike BoI and The Witcher because of the controls. BoI is just very 'laggy' for me, although the first 20 minutes I played it, it wasn't. I kinda liked it, although it felt like playing some glorified flash game.
I got frustrated at playing The Witcher mostly because left-clicking an enemy while wielding a sword makes you jump over the guy while performing a salto. WTF. I will probably try that, and stalker, again some time.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 19, 2012, 09:03:19 am »

I have to agree there. BoI, Psychonauts, S.T.A.L.K.E.R. series and The Witcher are some of my all time favourites. All of them (with the exception of Psychonauts) have quite a steep learning curve which is why I can understand why people don't like them/get frustrated.

I think after playing so much modded S.T.A.L.K.E.R. it has finally over taken Half-Life 2 as my all time favourite FPS. S.T.A.L.K.E.R. 2 being cancelled is evidence there is no gods or justice in the universe.
Or mayby there ARE, and a sequel would have ruined the series...?

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 19, 2012, 09:04:15 am »

I have actually no idea What Swords & Sorcery is about. I took me 30 minutes to figure out how to walk, and after 5 minutes of playing I got stuck and decided I was the worst game I ever played.

@Lordcooper, which ones? I assume DoD, BoI, and Stalker?

edit: I actually got most of those game in one dollar humble indie bundles, so I don't really regret buying them as much as I regret playing them.

Also The Witcher, Avadon and Civ V (not a fave, but I got 55 hours of enjoyment out of it).  I also really like the look of Psychonauts.  It's on The List.  Guess it would be a boring world if we all had the same tastes anyway.
Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 19, 2012, 09:06:14 am »

I didn't really disliked Psychonauts. I just realized after an hour of playing or so, that I really wasn't enjoying it at all.

Catastrophic lolcats

• Bay Watcher
  • [FORTRESSDESTROYER:2]
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 19, 2012, 09:07:37 am »

Or mayby there ARE, and a sequel would have ruined the series...?
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: December 19, 2012, 09:09:26 am by Catastrophic lolcats »

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 19, 2012, 09:09:13 am »

Last Android bundle was kind of underwhelming, albeit I don't *exactly* regret buying it, I expected more bang from it.

Euhmm... I shouldn't have gotten the THQ bundle either.
And I found HiB #4 quite underwhelming. In particular, the game that interested me the most was Gratuituous Space battles, and it turned out to be LAAAAAAAME

I've found other letdown games in Bundles, but usually other parts of the bundle made up for it (eg: The Binding of Isaac sucked, but it came with Spacechem!)

on other regards, I regret having bought Ufo Aftermath. And Black and White was pretty lame, too, though not bad enough to warrant full ostrazization. The Longest Journey was lame through-and-through. 
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

PanH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 19, 2012, 09:11:29 am »

Meh. A game is bad because you don't understand it ? And Swords & Sorcery is very simple. Click to walk is that long to figure ?

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 19, 2012, 09:13:23 am »

Meh. A game is bad because you don't understand it ? And Swords & Sorcery is very simple. Click to walk is that long to figure ?

I remember it as being way more confusing. Clicking created some sort of air / magic orb thing which confused me, walking didn't work half the time, blergh. It was just annoying to play tbh.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 11