Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 11

Author Topic: Games you regret buying - 2012  (Read 18192 times)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Games you regret buying - 2012
« Reply #90 on: December 19, 2012, 09:20:51 pm »

A very stale and emotionless ending to what could have been a scene of personal intrigue and development?

Seems Bioware enough :P

PanH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: December 19, 2012, 09:24:44 pm »

Amnesia - Can't bring myself to play it for 20 minutes without exiting the game in fear every time I feel endangered (all the time).

The worst part is that I knew I wouldn't be able to handle it. I'm a scaredy cat  :-\
I personally found it quite boring. The "story" is completely archetyped, and I didn't really felt the ambiance.
You have to play it at night with all the lights off.
I did. I also tryed playing it with some friends. And I can't see it other than a lame puzzle/mini-adventure.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: December 19, 2012, 09:26:17 pm »

I have a problem with horror games in that I am never brave enough to finish them or I put them off for looooong periods of time.

I STILL havn't beat Fatal Frame 3 because of those dang crawling sections.

justinlee999

• Bay Watcher
  • Unflappably FABULOUS
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: December 19, 2012, 10:30:47 pm »

Skyrim, I enjoyed Oblivion more, actually, better side quests, and I actually knew where to go. Even at 50% off Skyrim feels like a ripoff, it's a 10 dollar game at best for me. Meanwhile I spent 7.50 on Oblivion and got a blast out of it.

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: December 19, 2012, 11:02:13 pm »

Skyrim, I enjoyed Oblivion more, actually, better side quests, and I actually knew where to go. Even at 50% off Skyrim feels like a ripoff, it's a 10 dollar game at best for me. Meanwhile I spent 7.50 on Oblivion and got a blast out of it.
the dreadric princes quests were alot better than oblivion, the Dark Brotherhood really kicks ass compared to their lame oblivion counterparts, also i experienced less crashes with this game along with better graphics (those faces will haunt me for the rest of my life).

Here i can beat all of you right on the spot: Sims 3 including EVERY damn current expansions, i think i sunk around 300 for that game now? try that for size -______-

jester

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarvern Survialist Nutter
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: December 20, 2012, 02:25:36 am »

TW Shogun 2.  All the mistakes of the other total war games (though they finally admitted they cant do sieges with real walls) a smaller map and LESS UNITS, THE ONE THING YOU COULD DO IS PUT THE FARKING ELEPHANTS BACK IN THEY WHERE COOL, AND WHERE DID MY FARKING WARDOGS GO? etc.

Ive brought every total war game since the start bar napoleon and thats the first one I where I thought it really wasnt worth it.

And I cant say I regret buying it (steam says 160 hours playtime) but skyrim was so close to great and yet not quite there it really ticks me off sometimes.
If life gives you lemons, burn them.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: December 20, 2012, 02:50:30 am »

I can only think of two right now, and only because others mentioned them here.

Dungeon Defenders:  So... boring... seriously... I can really get into some tower defense, but this game is just sooooo slow paced and dry.  I was really hoping that the combat would be interesting, so that your skill with your character would actually make a difference in holding back the hordes.  Nope.  You're basically a mobile tower.  It's all hard numbers.

Arma II for Day Z:  The hype got me.  I knew it had a reputation for being rough around the edges, but... my god... I couldn't figure it out.  I can figure out Dwarf Fortress.  I can't figure out Day Z.  I don't know how anyone plays it.  And the atmosphere is completely inconsistent.  Everything looks comically broken during the day.  My wife sat next to me and we both laughed our asses off as I ran from extremely goofy looking zombies.  At night, the audio takes over and it's awesome.  I spent like 15 minutes just laying down in the middle of a small town and listening to zombies shuffle by all around me, wondering when one would stumble over me.  You have no idea how much I want a Day Z done right.  The worst part is this is the most money I've spent on one game in the last couple years, and it was even on sale.  I just don't understand how this thing reached such a godly level of hype.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: December 20, 2012, 02:59:23 am »

And the atmosphere is completely inconsistent.  Everything looks comically broken during the day.

A lot of that has to do with the fact that they adapted it from a map NOT made for zombies and just added zombies.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: December 20, 2012, 03:16:39 am »

Yeah.  I get it.  I just had to shelve it for now, and hope that they put together something more cohesive in the future.  I have nothing against the people behind it.  I just don't understand how it got so popular and hyped when it's still an incoherent mess.  I normally LIKE games that are kinda rough and unfinished feeling.  Much more than most people.  So when I saw how many people were playing it and raving about it, I thought surely it would be in a state that I could easily stomach.  I ended up feeling very misled and confused.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: December 20, 2012, 03:20:40 am »

It is because of the Youtube videos showing player and player interaction yet conveniently left the 20 hours of doing nothing.

You know like how ALL incredibly boring, monotonous, do nothing, games get hyped. Not saying that this is the case, but I am just saying... that is how.

People grabbed onto the overhyped concept of the game and limited misleading videos and imagined the entire game being such. You know like Spore and its VERY much disproven video hyping its eventual release because EVERYONE who loved the idea of the game would constantly use it instead of doing genuin research on the subject.

Is the game bad? Probably not. Is it no where close to what people are hyping it as? Definately. What made me not even consider getting both DayZ and WarZ (especially WarZ) was just where supplies are found.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2012, 03:23:11 am by Neonivek »

Caz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:comforting whirs]
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: December 20, 2012, 06:00:54 am »

I've only played a few RTS games, and the only one I really enjoyed was Age of Mythology, for some reason. The generated single player matches still strike an itch from time to time, though I'm too bad at it to play at a reasonably high difficulty.

AoM was great, especially multiplayer. Some of the scenario maps were insane (I'd play escape maps every day if I could) but then the community got saturated with idiots and they made a patch that broke multiplayer for a lot of people. The singleplayer is pretty good on hard mode but the AI will just railroad you with continuous attacks. What I love about that series is that every object has an entry in the 'dictionary' which tells you all about it in real world terms, heck I've wasted a few hours just reading about pine trees in that game. It's a lot like the Civ games where you can get lost reading about Aztec history. I was really disappointed to find that SCII has none of that. The units just got annoyed when I clicked them a bunch.

I regret buying Stronghold II. It sounded cool but it's really just a clunky, ugly medieval village simulator. You can do that all in DF and more.

GoombaGeek

• Bay Watcher
  • Horrors! Crundles in the caverns!
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: December 20, 2012, 09:30:27 am »

I went to Europe last winter, when Skyrim was brand-new:
Me: "Huh, Oblivion on PC is on for 5 euros but it's in German. Sounds good."
Someone else: "No! It will be region-locked."
Me: "Ehh?"

I didn't end up getting it.
My wooden badge was delicious.

day6reak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: December 20, 2012, 09:37:32 am »

Guild Wars 2

SPAZ

Diablo 3

Krater

TW Shogun 2

UltraValican

• Bay Watcher
  • The Man aiming to be a Man!
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: December 20, 2012, 12:38:52 pm »

Mount and Blade:Warband: The Controls were just to clunky for my taste. The concept was neat, but the controls left it unplayable.
Civ V: Barely run, and wasn't very fun either.
Binding of Isaac:Felt like a slot machine with Zelda tacked on.
Would you rather be an Ant in Heaven or a Man in Hell?

Gamerboy4life

• Bay Watcher
  • Helicopegasus
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: December 20, 2012, 09:52:35 pm »

I can only think of two right now, and only because others mentioned them here.

Dungeon Defenders:  So... boring... seriously... I can really get into some tower defense, but this game is just sooooo slow paced and dry.  I was really hoping that the combat would be interesting, so that your skill with your character would actually make a difference in holding back the hordes.  Nope.  You're basically a mobile tower.  It's all hard numbers.

Arma II for Day Z:  The hype got me.  I knew it had a reputation for being rough around the edges, but... my god... I couldn't figure it out.  I can figure out Dwarf Fortress.  I can't figure out Day Z.  I don't know how anyone plays it.  And the atmosphere is completely inconsistent.  Everything looks comically broken during the day.  My wife sat next to me and we both laughed our asses off as I ran from extremely goofy looking zombies.  At night, the audio takes over and it's awesome.  I spent like 15 minutes just laying down in the middle of a small town and listening to zombies shuffle by all around me, wondering when one would stumble over me.  You have no idea how much I want a Day Z done right.  The worst part is this is the most money I've spent on one game in the last couple years, and it was even on sale.  I just don't understand how this thing reached such a godly level of hype.

Don't condemn ARMA 2 for DAYZ. You are saying that the game is bad because of a MOD developed for it by a bunch of assholes.
Play the actual ARMA 2, download ACE/ACRE and go on the multiplayer domination/insurgency servers, it gets a lot better. And if you STILL don't like it, then you are too hard to please.
I need to put something interesting here.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 11