Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6

Author Topic: Useful things to know  (Read 6542 times)

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
Re: Useful things to know
« Reply #45 on: December 19, 2012, 08:14:43 pm »

Silk Road is an online black market, it lies in the darknet of the .onion and all purchases are made with bitcoins. You can buy nearly every available drug on there, as well as break in tools, bootable USBs, and many other things. There are currently over 2500 listings for weed, and 500 for LSD. According to statistics, only 1 in every 50 customers has been arrested related to Silk Road dealings.
Don't forget the armoury, which is the same thing but with guns.

Mageziya

• Bay Watcher
  • OH NO, EVERYTHING'S DEAD!
    • View Profile
    • Derp
« Reply #46 on: December 19, 2012, 08:30:32 pm »

Random non-crime tip:

Vinegar cures hiccups.

I've only tried this with balsamic vinegar (Which is much more bearable than plan vinegar.), but a little spoonful always tends to cure hiccups. If they weren't cured, then take more vinegar. Do no drink water directly after taking the vinegar or it will fail to work.
Every dwarf, every dwarven man, women, and child, that comes to our forts will die there; it's truly sad when you think about it. And we ask our selves, why? Why do we push forward, knowing this fate, that we are destined for failure? Because, this game grasps the concept of mortality. Some games you can never lose, but we all stop eventually, causing a 'death' to those game's 'worlds'. Dwarf Fortress gives us a definite end, knowing that we will leave that world eventually, and move on to more.

Lectorog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: December 19, 2012, 08:42:18 pm »

Random non-crime tip:

Vinegar cures hiccups.

If they weren't cured, then take more vinegar. Do no drink water directly after taking the vinegar or it will fail to work.
I am thoroughly convinced that all tips for curing hiccups are made by trolls, sadists, or other people who wish others to do stupid things.

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: December 19, 2012, 08:43:46 pm »

If you're ever find yourself being exposed to chlorine gas for whatever reason, you're going to want to cover your mouth and nose and try not to breath any of it in. Then find a cloth of some kind, and cover it with a water like liquid. Or if you're not a complete pansy, pee on the cloth and hold it up to your face. When the chlorine makes contact with the urine soaked cloth, it will turn into dichloro urea which isn't deadly.

Very good advice, actually. Remember, getting gassed really sucks.

Vinegar is also a really great all-purpose cleaner, besides being an effective deodorizer if you're willing to deal with everything smelling vinegary for a day or so.
Even the avatars expire eventually.

Scelly9

• Bay Watcher
  • That crazy long-haired queer liberal communist
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: December 19, 2012, 11:58:30 pm »

Silk Road is an online black market, it lies in the darknet of the .onion and all purchases are made with bitcoins. You can buy nearly every available drug on there, as well as break in tools, bootable USBs, and many other things. There are currently over 2500 listings for weed, and 500 for LSD. According to statistics, only 1 in every 50 customers has been arrested related to Silk Road dealings.
Don't forget the armoury, which is the same thing but with guns.
The Armory was shut down a month or so ago. Apparently, it was never used very much.

... is 1 in 50 a good or bad rate?
That's only arrested. According to the statistics, most where able to plead innocence at why LSD was being shipped to their house. Only 1 in 250 was actually convicted. They deal in LARGE amounts of drugs as well.
You taste the jug! It is ceramic.
Quote from: Loud Whispers
SUPPORT THE COMMUNIST GAY MOVEMENT!

Scoops Novel

• Bay Watcher
  • Talismanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: December 20, 2012, 05:20:24 am »

Let's all assume that we know the details of commiting crimes and look at it from the undiscovered other side of the argument shall we?
Reading a thinner book

Arcjolt (useful) Chilly The Endoplasm Jiggles

Hums with potential    a flying minotaur

Scelly9

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: December 20, 2012, 12:05:29 pm »

Useful thing to know: Not Crime edition

A Carnegie credit is approximately equal 1 high school credit. 120 hours of something is equal to 1 Carnegie credit. Colleges love Carnegie credits. Do nanowrimo? English credit! Visit a foreign country? Social Studies and/or Foreign Language!

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: December 20, 2012, 12:36:59 pm »

Why is there any other edition
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Scelly9

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: December 20, 2012, 01:38:14 pm »

Why is there any other edition
Because the current topic is crime.

da_nang

• Bay Watcher
  • Argonian Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: December 20, 2012, 01:53:19 pm »

Vinegar is also a really great all-purpose cleaner, besides being an effective deodorizer if you're willing to deal with everything smelling vinegary for a day or so.
Also remember to bring some vinegar to the beach in case of jellyfish stings (jellyfish, not Portuguese man-o-war).

Random non-crime tip:

Vinegar cures hiccups.

I've only tried this with balsamic vinegar (Which is much more bearable than plan vinegar.), but a little spoonful always tends to cure hiccups. If they weren't cured, then take more vinegar. Do no drink water directly after taking the vinegar or it will fail to work.
Fun fact: That's probably, if anything, a placebo effect. The only proven cure to hiccups is...

digital rectal massage...
Pop a finger up your bum and wriggle it around.
I just wonder what analogue rectal massages must have been...
Actually, you're just supposed to tell the fish inside you to stop fucking your brain.

True fact
"Deliver yesterday, code today, think tomorrow."
Ceterum censeo Unionem Europaeam esse delendam.
Future supplanter of humanity.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: December 20, 2012, 01:56:33 pm »

Turns out the vast majority of shoes use synthetic leather, not real leather.

Perhaps not useful to most ya'll, but useful to know for me :P I went shoe shopping today and had a wider selection to choose from than expected (though still got some ugly shoes).
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Lectorog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: December 20, 2012, 03:31:54 pm »

Digital means having to do with the digits, AKA fingers/toes. Analogue is not an opposite here.
/punkill

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: December 20, 2012, 05:49:15 pm »

Digital means having to do with the digits, AKA fingers/toes. Analogue is not an opposite here.
/punkill
*cocks gun*

You got 3 seconds to run. This shoots magma sharks, by the way.
Useful thing to know: In films when people cock guns, it would often require the gun to be unloaded in order to cock it again. It's even more impractical with shotguns because then they're ejecting a shell that hasn't even been fired yet.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #58 on: December 20, 2012, 05:53:49 pm »

*cocks gun*

You got 3 seconds to run. This shoots magma sharks, by the way.
Useful thing to know: In films when people cock guns, it would often require the gun to be unloaded in order to cock it again. It's even more impractical with shotguns because then they're ejecting a shell that hasn't even been fired yet.
You also have to take into account that when people in movies cock guns, they're usually portrayed as attempting to be incredibly intimidating and it is often revealed later they have no knowledge of how guns work whatsoever.
So it actually kinda makes sense.

Thecard

• Bay Watcher
  • Back in With the Old!
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: December 21, 2012, 12:12:18 am »

Wait.

You criticize Great's authenticity when he cocks his magmashark gun, but...
You're fine with the gun shooting magmasharks?
Also, I just got an image of a polar bear erecting a magma shark out of the chamber of a gun. (Oh dear lord autocorrect, but I think I'll leave this as it is.  I did mean to say "ejecting" though.)

I think the slaughter part is what made them angry.
OOC: Dachshundofdoom: This is how the world ends, not with a bang but with goddamn VUVUZELAS.
Those hookers aren't getting out any time soon, no matter how many fancy gadgets they have :v
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6