Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Do forgotten beasts trigger pressure plates?  (Read 1727 times)

Kirdus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Do forgotten beasts trigger pressure plates?
« on: December 18, 2012, 06:19:24 am »

That's all there is to the question.

I ask because I set up a few pressure plates and when the forgotten beast ran across them, nothing happened. They were linked to something, he definitely ran across them since I watched. Max weight was set to any, min weight set to 5000 (Or whatever it is the number seems to cut off). The beast in question was a clear glass alligator so it was surely heavy enough to trigger them. What gives? I mean, they're trap immune, does that extend to pressure plates?

Findulidas

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL:OFFTOPIC:5][NOTHOUGHT]
    • View Profile
Re: Do forgotten beasts trigger pressure plates?
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2012, 07:21:33 am »

Dont think so. I think thier [TRAPAVOID] tag makes them ignore pressure plates. If you want to activate something when they arrive just press a lever.
...wonderful memories of the creeping sense of dread...

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
  • BOOM! Avatar gone! (for now)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2012, 07:38:55 am »

press a lever

Something about that kinda sounds weird..

Slayerhero90

• Bay Watcher
  • Time for Taako's opinion.
    • View Profile
My tumblr.
Yeah no I don't haunt here anymore. Peace

Findulidas

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL:OFFTOPIC:5][NOTHOUGHT]
    • View Profile
...wonderful memories of the creeping sense of dread...

MrWillsauce

• Bay Watcher
  • Has an ass that won't quit
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2012, 07:19:04 pm »

Yank the lever.

laularukyrumo

• Bay Watcher
  • Needs More Socks
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2012, 07:37:49 pm »

I do recall that there was a system to force trapavoid creatures down a certain path by abusing the fact that they cannot trigger pressure plates. You have a tunnel that's "open" to your fort, but inevitably leads the bastards into a path of doom. (Inevitably with stabby spikes on repeat for the inevitable kobolds, and then your FB trap afterwards.) The basic gist of it was that the pressure plate in the line of sight was set to trigger for every weight, including civilians, and was set up so that triggering it would shut off the access to the kobold/FB trap and open the "normal" disposal chamber, probably a goblin grinder of sorts. What would end up happening is that any creature without trapavoid will step on the plate, immediately routing their open path through the goblin grinder. The gate opens immediately, and will only shut 99 ticks after it is no longer activated--so give the goblins a good winding path through a nice multi-Z-level tunnel to ensure they're walking long enough that the gate shuts behind them. (If the first creature leaves the path and a second one steps on the plate before the gate closes, it merely "resets" the timer.) Once everybody is inside, they are dealt with in the manner of your choice.

However, anybody who doesn't trigger the pressure plate must be trap-avoid. (The exceptions are creatures too large for pressure plates, which include various giant whales, giant elephant seals, and elder dragons. Cage traps WILL catch these suckers--so building this kind of trap also nets you an automatic dragon-filter.) As far as I know, the only trap-avoid creatures that aren't procedurally generated (and therefore do not have building destroyer tags) are kobolds. A giant semi-repeatable cave-in trap (large cube of constructed walls hovering over a support), bonus points for an artifact lure, tends to be enough to deal with non-kobold invaders. Note, that, for this to work, the path to your fort has to be "technically" open, so you should put a long row of repeating spikes or something else to maim the kobolds. Alternatively, a guard animal to spot them (make sure to keep it far enough away from the cave-in trap so it doesn't get caught in the dust!) should be enough to route them away. But spikes are your friend.<3
Quote from: Dwarfotaur
Everytime one of my militia has given birth in the Danger Room, it's lead to instant baby smoothies for everyone.

Gotta Catch 'Em All!

Dat Sig Thread