Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: How do I make a well?  (Read 695 times)

wookiecontrol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
How do I make a well?
« on: January 07, 2008, 05:59:00 pm »

I have a tunnel filled with water 4 levels below a room where I would like a well, how do I get the well to not be 'dry'?

I know this is a newb question but I have just run into a road block.

Railick Stonemane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Stonemane Library
Re: How do I make a well?
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2008, 06:00:00 pm »

Dig down below the well with channel until there is nothing between the well and the water. Then the well should work so long as there are no floor tiles and no wall tiles in between it and the water itself.
"And call a dog a cow-that don't change the way the thing'll taste!" Bruenor Battlehammer

http://railickstonemane.wordpress.com/
http://stonemane.hostei.com/

Mechanoid

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTELLIGENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2008, 06:02:00 pm »

Make sure there are no intermediate floors between the well and the water (every tile beneath the well saying "empty space" ) and that the water is at least 3 or 4 units. Every time the well is used, it will reduce the water level of that tile by 1, so eventually wells will run dry.
Quote from: Max White
"Have all the steel you want!", says Toady, "It won't save your ass this time!"

Forumsdwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2008, 02:26:00 am »

I always spend my starting points on a rope.  You can't buy a bucket, but you can buy a rope, and having it means one less headache before the first winter.

Edit: (Building a well requires a rope or chain.)

Another Edit: Oh, and to answer your specific question, to keep the well from running dry its water source needs a water source.  My water source is typically replenished via a tunnel in communication with a river and controlled with a floodgate, but I've never played on a map without a river.

[ January 08, 2008: Message edited by: Forumsdwarf ]

"Let them eat XXtroutXX!" -Troas

wookiecontrol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2008, 01:46:00 am »

I tried making a channel underneath the well but the well still floods out.
The water comes from a river and then goes underground into a tunnel and then a well is dropped into the water.
Getting pretty frustrated as i have worked on this for few days now to put this well in. I have supplied a picture if someone could help me, and i can answer any additional questions.

[ January 09, 2008: Message edited by: wookiecontrol ]

ropable

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2008, 01:58:00 am »

It might be flooding because the "outlet" is lower than the water source (i.e. the river). How is the bottom level supplied with water?

Skanky

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm building a wagon!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2008, 02:04:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Forumsdwarf:
<STRONG>controlled with a floodgate</STRONG>

Thats the bit you are missing, wookie.

"Quickly now, the goblins are more devious these days." - Captain Mayday

wookiecontrol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2008, 02:14:00 am »

so if i just close it off with a flood gate, the standing water won't flood the top level?

I have a flood gate I will try to close it and see what happens.

oh thank goodness it seems to be working

I thought the well or the hatch or something was leaking... oh well live and learn.

[ January 09, 2008: Message edited by: wookiecontrol ]

Railick Stonemane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Stonemane Library
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2008, 11:55:00 am »

Something interesting happened to me in relation to this. I dug my own well out in fortress mode simply digging a channel from the river up under my fortress. Everything worked out fine and all as is expected. Now, I leave the fortress to die and come back as an adventurer and what happens? The water starts shooting up through the well and leaking through walls and starts to flood the mines that have access directly next to the well itself. It was actually cool because the mines go all the way to the lowest Z level. As I went down you could see a little water flowing down the stairs and on the bottom level the entire thing was awash in 2/7 or so water . Gave me time to loot everything I could find but still made me feel like Indiana Dwarf or something, drying to get the treasure before the mine floods :P I guess the physics of water work diffrently in adventure mode than they do in DF mode.
"And call a dog a cow-that don't change the way the thing'll taste!" Bruenor Battlehammer

http://railickstonemane.wordpress.com/
http://stonemane.hostei.com/

Eagle of Fire

• Bay Watcher
  • Friendly Fire
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2008, 12:39:00 pm »

I see a staircase in the middle image but I can't see where it lead. Water can go down or up from staircases...
I am on a hot streak... literally.