Author Topic: Paint.  (Read 2310 times)

Baccar Wozat

• Bay Watcher
  • [VAMPOW]
    • View Profile
    • My Fortresses
Paint.
« on: December 16, 2012, 09:21:20 pm »

I'm sick of running out of a particular material when building a wall; of having my tables and chairs all be mismatched; and of ENGRAVINGS being the only form of artistic expression (other than overacting when having !FUN! of course).

So why not implement some sort of paint? There would only need to be the colors already available to the game, and descriptions could run like:

Gabbro wall, smoothed, painted red

Presumably smoothing a rough painted wall would damage the paint job...

Now, polymers are unmedieval, but perhaps dyes could be modified and strengthened to be useful here. That's the way the ancient Romans did it... except the stuff didn't last long (which is why you don't see any on their white columns in ruins).

And then we could have canvasses, for those wanting to see moody dwarves go all Urist McRembrandt.

Braingnawer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Paint.
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2012, 05:59:02 am »

Can my dwarf paint himself head to toe in blue and run into combat naked?
On a more serious note this would require a new profession..
A new tool "paintbrush". Would you want paint to increase happy thoughts?
Maybe you could make it so paint increases the value of goods as well.
Painted toys/dolls would be far more valuable than the non painted variety.

Also brushes are pretty hard to make. You either need animal hair or fibers.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2012, 06:03:59 am »

Not that hard. If you can make cloth, you can make a brush.

Scoops Novel

• Bay Watcher
  • Talismanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2012, 09:49:04 am »

Yes, tattoo's are dwarfy.
Reading a thinner book

Arcjolt (useful) Chilly The Endoplasm Jiggles

Hums with potential    a flying minotaur

CrzyMonkeyNinja

• Bay Watcher
  • He strikes from above...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2012, 02:48:18 pm »

I quite like this idea. Dwarves could also have a favorite colour to add happy thoughts, similar to engravings of a favorite animal. It could even go so far as to have disliked colours, furthuring the similarities to engravings.
“I do not love the bright sword for it's sharpness, nor the arrow for it's swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend” - J.R.R. Tolkien

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2012, 03:14:05 pm »

Dwarves can already like colors. Neat.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

CrzyMonkeyNinja

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 25, 2012, 03:49:28 pm »

Oh...right... Well, that's somewhat embarrassing. Does their colour preference have any happy thoughts associated with it yet? I can’t think of any, but there could be some that I’m missing. Either way, paint could still give happy thoughts.
“I do not love the bright sword for it's sharpness, nor the arrow for it's swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend” - J.R.R. Tolkien

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 25, 2012, 03:57:22 pm »

Oh...right... Well, that's somewhat embarrassing. Does their colour preference have any happy thoughts associated with it yet? I can’t think of any, but there could be some that I’m missing. Either way, paint could still give happy thoughts.

At very least making your dining room more legendary.
Quote from: Eric Blank
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.
Quote from: 2016 Election IRC
<DozebomLolumzalis> you filthy god-damn ninja wizard dragon

tomtherat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2012, 04:14:17 pm »

Along those lines tapestries hanging from walls would be fantastic.  Carpets too, for that matter.  All could be colored, would make some more use to dyes.

CrzyMonkeyNinja

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2012, 10:30:53 pm »

Along those lines tapestries hanging from walls would be fantastic.  Carpets too, for that matter.  All could be colored, would make some more use to dyes.
Speaking of dyes, I would like more of them. There simply aren't enough at the moment. The fact that I can never get black dye is bothersome too.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2012, 11:06:44 pm »

Given how...use-impaired they are ATM, I'm not surprised there's only a few kinds.

Midnight Dye, found from some deep-cavern plant, would be neat.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2012, 12:39:27 pm »

Well, they dye clothes, and if you use stonesense, you can see them, but yeah, that's about it.

Cool Guy

• Bay Watcher
  • inlcude <iostream>
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2012, 08:24:09 pm »

Given how...use-impaired they are ATM, I'm not surprised there's only a few kinds.

I was under the impression that black wasn't used for objects because it is used as the background color so anything made black would be invisible to us.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 28, 2012, 09:17:50 pm »

I was under the impression that black wasn't used for objects because it is used as the background color so anything made black would be invisible to us.
Just use the display color iron and obsidian use.
Sig

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 30, 2012, 01:55:10 pm »

Speaking of dyes, I would like more of them. There simply aren't enough at the moment. The fact that I can never get black dye is bothersome too.
Mod sliver barbs to grow in non-evil areas.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.
Pages: [1] 2