Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Budcloistered the Dark Fortress [SUCCESSION]  (Read 5631 times)

eharper256

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary +5 Nep-Nep Fanboy
    • View Profile
    • Detarame
Re: Clearbridged the Dark Fortress [SUCCESSION]
« Reply #15 on: December 18, 2012, 04:52:45 am »

Got it to work. Woo. 8)

Though, this time, Phoebus refused to work, causing whining about the missing inorganic gloss for Onyx, so I've switched to Ironhand for now. Whatever, I don't mind either. In fact, I quite like the Goblin Icons in Ironhand, and the purple walls look pretty badass:

I'll update with the happenings soon.

EDIT: I've never seen so much Pitchblende :o The ground must be ridiculously radioactive...

EDIT2: By the way, the place you've got here is now called BUDCLOISTERED, rather than Clearbridged. Might want to change the topic title to reflect that?
« Last Edit: December 18, 2012, 06:07:13 am by eharper256 »
"If the world's a stage, and the people actors, then who the f**k has my script!?"
Community Fort "Lakebones"
My Games & Anime Blog, Detarame

eharper256

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Detarame
Re: Clearbridged the Dark Fortress [SUCCESSION]
« Reply #16 on: December 18, 2012, 06:25:20 am »

So I just checked the wiki, and actually, Goblins don't eat anything... didn't realise that. Well; may as well scrap the entire food industry and make everyone into masons then. Lol, also, that makes my chef idea (and in fact alot of the gobbos) a bit useless.

Anyway, got to mid-spring, and 20 migrants have arrived. I assigned zones for alot of stuff that was missing, and temporarily have allowed a below-ground office beneath one of the towers since its going to take awhile to roof everything and I needed some stock information ASAP, really (can't build tables etc. outside). Took me quite awhile to realise where the Pitchblende mine was as well, lol.

And then... this fella turned up: 

An entirely naked, named human, scaring all the young gobbos, showed up, announced like a Megabeast. He suddenly ran into one of the towers and started trying to throttle a Duck. :o Naturally, the nearby Axe-Gobbo wasn't impressed (I think it was his pet), so this massacre occured:

I'll post a proper update soon, but gotta go to work now.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2012, 06:53:49 am by eharper256 »
"If the world's a stage, and the people actors, then who the f**k has my script!?"

PrivateNomad

• Bay Watcher
  • Certified Time Traveler
    • View Profile
Re: Budcloistered the Dark Fortress [SUCCESSION]
« Reply #17 on: December 18, 2012, 04:50:47 pm »

For my first succession game, this is going well. I'm also working on a  separate mod for goblin fortresses. It will be !!Fun!!.

eharper256

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Detarame
« Reply #18 on: December 18, 2012, 05:30:35 pm »

For my first succession game, this is going well. I'm also working on a  separate mod for goblin fortresses. It will be !!Fun!!.
I can't tell if you're being sarcastic with that comment?  :P Well in any case, a proper goblin fortress mod would be cool; though I would consider making them eat again, or somehow making sure that migrants only come with non-food/drink skills.

Also, I've got a few more caps up to Summer, but I'm going to write up the rest tommorow, if thats ok.

bp920091

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary +5 Organizer
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 18, 2012, 05:43:19 pm »

ill take a spot as an overseer if you are still taking spots
I must make a note to buy some cats from traders at the next opportunity and see if I can chain up a breeding pair someplace clean. Having kittens wandering the hallways will be a good way of identifying patches of paralytic poison that still need to be taken care of.

PrivateNomad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 18, 2012, 05:45:39 pm »

Added.

Gavakis

• Bay Watcher
  • some loser meme
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 18, 2012, 08:02:29 pm »

Ill Retake a spot.

PrivateNomad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 18, 2012, 08:46:51 pm »

Added.

Rendell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 19, 2012, 01:59:43 am »

Ill take an Overseer spot if I could

bp920091

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary +5 Organizer
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 19, 2012, 02:10:04 am »

i am hoping beyond hope that this does not turn into goblin fortress.... it was stricken from the forums for a damn good reason
I must make a note to buy some cats from traders at the next opportunity and see if I can chain up a breeding pair someplace clean. Having kittens wandering the hallways will be a good way of identifying patches of paralytic poison that still need to be taken care of.

eharper256

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Detarame
« Reply #25 on: December 19, 2012, 09:18:25 am »

Ok, here's the events of note progress report up to mid-summer:

Elves arrived to trade at the impromptu Depot I'd set up:

I'm surprised they made the journey. Their caravan was mostly full of junk stuff, but I traded for a few items and they left very happy about it:

As an aside, it seems Truetype font on Ironhand screws up the trade interface and it doesn't show the values of items. Fortunately, I have a vague idea of most of them.

Shortly afterwards, a pair of kobold thieves snuck in and were discovered near the new gem stockpile. Of course, at this point, all of the outer walls have been completed, and they have two places (only!) that they can escape to. As a result, they got hacked to pieces by our angry axe-gobbo Gavakis, still lamenting his suffocated Duck:

Since I'd set up 7 Mason's workshops and set every gobbo to Masonry, the number of blocks I had nearly spiralled out of control, but it's helped set up the fortifications and flooring VERY quickly. The central tower is now three-stories, and the all of the outer fortification wall has been completed up to the side of the ravine. The fort's looking pretty good, if I may say so myself:

Another 8 Migrants arrived in the summer, and I've left it there for now.

PrivateNomad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 20, 2012, 06:43:49 pm »

Hurry up.

eharper256

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Detarame
« Reply #27 on: December 20, 2012, 07:20:48 pm »

Sorry, had to work extra hours today, just finished. Here's the update from end of summer to the end of winter, and the save from me.

Well, first thing of note- Our first artifact was completed early autumn, a Horse Bone Shield:

Barely moments after that was done, we were attacked by a Dwarf Were-Llama:

He snuck in and viciously attacked a chef-gobbo; but fortunately, detransformed straight after that, and was quickly taken out by the military for his misdeeds:

Sadly, as you can see, the chef was reduced to paste and died very quickly, leading to our first casualty.

The Dwarf Caravan had very little of note, but I let them leave Very Happy again with a few trades; mostly weapons, iron spikes, and platinum crafts; since we've got iron and precious resources dripping out our nostrils down the main shaft area.

Winter was mostly uneventful, though Nomad got married:

Unfortunately, a Ranger gobbo also went berserk during a strange mood. Don't know why; because he'd collected all the items he wanted (2 jet stones, a horse bone, and a platinum bar) in the masons workshop according to DFHack, and the game announced him beginning construction so I don't know what happened. This has caused 3 of his friends (one who had to kill him) to drop into a bit of a severe depression. One of these friends is the Militia Commander, so in order to hopefully let him calm down, I've let the military come off ready-alert to off-duty for now, since it could be bad if he goes mad.

So the next person up needs to watch that. If everyone calms down, you can head back to military screen and put their alert back up. Other than that, though, the fort is looking good. Here's a set of the three floors of it so far (from Ground Floor to Floor 2):

As you can see, I've added in a bridge between the outer wall and keep, and added in two craft buildings. The wall of the start of a Goblin Motel can be seen the next level down but I've finally run dry of Pitchblende and Talc Blocks at this stage, so you'll need to get the mining and masonry up again; and probably get some training going (or danger rooms if you're allowing them).

As an aside, I had to back up and start again due to DF crashing; fortunately I didn't lose much, just a month, but what I did just notice, that I forgot, is that this was when I'd given names to people, so people are ungobbo'ed again.

Anyway:
Fumlik stood on the top of the keep of Budcloistered Fortress. She marvelled; truly, at how much things had changed over the last year. There was no doubt that the wall built by Nomad had been impressive, but she had seen it as merely a foundation for further greatness; getting the entire crew to chip in and make a truly magnificent ode to goblin architecture. As the twin suns set on the horizon; the outer wall glowed a fierce purple, as if to shout to the world: "We are goblins! We are the greatest creatures! And none shall challenge our strength, our might, and our tenacity!"

She grinned, and took off the carnelian platinum amulet, placing it on the new flagpole. It was a funnier, more fitting passover gesture than the little note on the now long deceased cart that she had found that fateful day. Part of her wanted to stay, stay in this position for longer, and see the place grow even greater. But no... her time was up; and it was the goblin way to pass the mantle to another. Fresh eyes; fewer flies, her own kitchenmaster used to tell her; and she nodded to the glaring suns as if to say 'your move'. She left the roof, and her amulet behind.

DFFD won't have it. EDIT: Here's the save on Mediafire
« Last Edit: December 21, 2012, 08:00:51 am by eharper256 »

Bogre

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 22, 2012, 08:22:28 pm »

The Assembled Notes of Snugabed Whirlcliffs the Twirling Shaman
1st Granite, 338

The mushroom roasts...delicacies to my long, wartily esteemed nose. The previous leaders of our purplish and miasma-sweet fortress were knocked out quite expediently by the brew. Quite, quite! Not exactly zombies, more the pity I've never found a tome to really improve the help around here, but there's still time in the world. Alas, alas, two toadstools, a liberal dash of thrips blood ichor and a reduction of moghopper and bloodgnats, all dashed in the fortress liquor and, hell, the wells too, and the gobs of this fortress are as good as my slaves, dear diary. They appear ready and willing to follow my every command. I shall have to refine the elixir, however, as it seems my command is tenuous at best. The gobs deign to take breaks and go about hauling rocks, whilst totems and worship lay unattended!

At any rate, this fortress shall be a good deal more constructed, and a great length more dangerous for any nasty wasties who want to come visit. Yes! Yes! I can taste the ideas!

First, the fortress's walls will be worked upon, and goblins and armaments will be trained. Trained! Yes, yes, trained. We must also, yes, diary, we must also make totems and adorn our fortress with spikes. Preferably...these goals can be attended together.
=======================================================================================================================

« Last Edit: December 25, 2012, 05:38:15 pm by Bogre »

Gavakis

• Bay Watcher
  • some loser meme
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 25, 2012, 09:05:49 am »

Whoa, the fortress is really coming together!
Pages: 1 [2] 3