Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7

Author Topic: Shin Megami Tensei: IMAGINE - Now with steam group and Guild.  (Read 12588 times)

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile

Uguu... tentative opinion so far is that the combat is kinda' terrible :(

Biggest issue being minion responsiveness, really. Even after turning off defensive talent use, the critter just kinda' stands there a lot, and often just sits and stares while some enemy bugger mauls my face, instead of, like, doing something.

Combat in general just feels kinda' clumsy, very... unfluid, to mangle up a word. Multiple keypresses where one really should be sufficing, a lot of manual stuff that should be automated (or at least queued up, and the queue itself turned into a macro), lots of odd delays or lack of feedback regarding why something buggered up (trying to use items, ferex, sometimes takes tapping the use button several times instead of once. Doesn't seem to be lag causing it, though). Having to stop and glow between shots for a ranged weapon... stuff like that. Probably going to give it some more chances in a bit, but it's currently kinda' unpleasant :-\

Basically could stand a lot of quality of life improvement, I think. Not sure how much of it is intentional, though.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2012, 06:16:15 pm by Frumple »
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

majikero

• Bay Watcher
  • Poi~
    • View Profile

What are you playing as anyways?

Also demons need alot of micromanaging to be effective so that it won't die. You know that pixie you first tamed? I still had that till I was in 40 something. I got the leader pixie so she could learn the kiss shot and healing. She's pretty handy to have around.

I should try this again. Maybe a melee build this time.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile

Blazes if I know. I picked up a gun because I was having trouble getting the minions to do anything when I was melee, but if there's, like, actual classes or something I haven't noticed yet. Been raising everything except strength and vitality (little bit of that, not much) to varying degrees, and figured out how to tell skill-stuff to start going up, but I haven't bothered to figure out how to get/use magic yet. Still going through the tunnel whatsits the starting sequence sends you after, murdering kotodamas and everything else that pops up in the room with 'em. Got the starting pixie and cerebus (level 4-ish, both, iirc) and a cait sith, so far.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

majikero

• Bay Watcher
  • Poi~
    • View Profile

Builds actually revolve around your main damage dealing skill.

Gunners are usually rapid or magic shot.
Not sure about melee or magic.

This is a Shin Megami Tensei game so getting screwed over by not knowing what to do is the norm. Alot of old time players will tell you that you've horribly gimp your character.

But that's okay, you can just fool around then start a new character.

Seriyu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Springless Clock

AND there are reset items for people below level 30 now, both stats and skills. Not too bad to make either. Let me(Bariaus) or Fayalite know and we'll hook you up with one. Also the game operates on mabinogi's character system now, you only get one guy. Skill builds are simple and stat builds are simple though, so it works out usually, annnnd I think events will occasionally give out a free character card?

gunners will generally focus on speed and luck, but if you're mixing magic into it you'll probably want speed and magic. Melee dudes will focus on strength and luck/vit or again, magic if they're using magic along with. I personally, as a pure fighter went 2:1 for strength and magic and it seems to be working fine.

Combat can be a little finnicky and there are definitely a lot of downgrades in quality of life. As a note, if you go into this expecting mabinogi, where you should never ever take a hit, you'll probably be a bit unimpressed with things, I know I was, until I accepted getting hit is just gonna happen sometimes. Taking a hit is fine in this game, having a demon on hand to help out with the occasional hit, either by attacking it while you're getting attacked, or curing you, is also fine. A support+Curative demon can be very powerful.

It's basically gonna be impossible to play through the game never taking a hit like mabinogi, and I think in the long run this is better, because with mabi, you eventually just got to the point where you didn't take damage because you knew how to deflect everything, and as a result every death was either due to lag or some guy emerging from behind the camera suddenly, which is fun for a while, but makes, in the long run, the combat a big, like... checklist. And makes every death just rage inducing. Which isn't to say you're constantly gonna be dying for no reason in this game, but it is more common, especially if you're soloing. Much like mabi, the game strongly encourages teaming up with people, soloing a dungeon is a feat at low levels. I still can't beat the basic dungeon without dying, in an almost completely lagless enviroment.

If you just can't get a demon to operate independently, a support demon is basically autonomous, although I do wanna say it did take me a couple of days to get the swing of "operating" a demon. If the demon is just fartin around and not doing anything, just double tap their basic attack (Not rush, if they have a red pillar coming out of them after you hit the key, that's their charge attack and it takes a while to wind up, and you have to wait a little bit before their attack is "loaded". It's like smash in Mabi.) to have him start helping with the guy you're working on, and then re assign him when danger has passed. It's possible to reassign them mid combat but it's not really vital, and it can get kind've razor's edge.

I'll have to write up something on skill builds later, they're not complicated at all but I'm unfortunately forgetting what the hard cap for expertise is, which is like the one vital thing to know about this. If you have any questions about the game, don't be afraid to ask, one of the initial humps to get over with the game is that it is CRIMINALLY bad at explaining itself.

EDIT: Oh, also, if you don't like a demon don't be afraid to mash it up with another demon. It'll usually raise their level, and give you something you maybe like the look of a bit more, giving it new skills, and likely transferring several skills from the old demon to the new.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2012, 07:42:25 pm by Seriyu »

majikero

• Bay Watcher
  • Poi~
    • View Profile

Does this mean your gonna move out of mabi?  :'(

Don't go. The newbies need you.

Also I'm still Acolyte0 even here.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2012, 08:04:53 pm by majikero »

adwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Playing a ranged/magic character, and I have to say my demon seems to work fairly well, its a bit unresponsive when I'm attacking at range, but once an enemy closes in on me it generally manages to knock it back and finish it himself or allow me to get off the killing shot. Of course this only works against one enemy, several aggroing on me at once causes death 99% of the time :P though luckily I seem to manage and fight them off with my demon and get revived after said deaths. In game name is CrimsonReaper for those interested.

majikero

• Bay Watcher
  • Poi~
    • View Profile

aww you too adwarf. I haven't even seen you in mabi yet.

adwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

aww you too adwarf. I haven't even seen you in mabi yet.
I was on yesterday, and ofr like twenty minutes earlier today :P but no worries I'ma still play Mabinogi :D

Seriyu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Springless Clock

I am quite ADD about my vidja games so who can say what the future holds.  :P

Also I'm gonna go ahead and add ya both and get ya in a party.

adwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Major warning, do not try to cast Traesto near enemies, or enemy spawns. You'll be attacked, the spell will be interrupted, and you will very likely die if you do it in the wrong place :|

Seriyu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Springless Clock

Yep, Traesto has a really long cast time. Treasto stones are cheap and instant, the spell is mostly for when you're out in the middle of nowhere and forgot to buy a stone. :P

Also I was afk adwarf, feel free to friend me again when you next get on.

EDIT: Oh reaver, not reaper, derp.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2012, 08:55:00 pm by Seriyu »

adwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Yep, Traesto has a really long cast time. Treasto stones are cheap and instant, the spell is mostly for when you're out in the middle of nowhere and forgot to buy a stone. :P

Also I was afk adwarf, feel free to friend me again when you next get on.
Yeah, it's a very long cast time. Using it now just to see how long, and its insane, sure you want to handicap something so its not overpowered but god this is a bit overkill >.>

Seriyu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Springless Clock

Just posted how to make your own build in the OP, near the bottom. Reccomended reading for a novice. It's not very complicated. Be sure to read the entire thing before you start making your own build.

Seriyu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Springless Clock

Bump and also I updated the build segment in the OP with another important note. Reread it, it's right below the example build if you've read it before.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7