Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7

Author Topic: Shin Megami Tensei: IMAGINE - Now with steam group and Guild.  (Read 12587 times)

Seriyu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Springless Clock
Shin Megami Tensei: IMAGINE - Now with steam group and Guild.
« on: December 16, 2012, 12:03:59 am »

THERE'S A STEAM GROUP! It's right here. If you need to ask something please feel free to pop in and ask. Or just hang around in lieu of a party/guild chat.

THERE'S A GUILD! Message Bariaus or Fayalite to get in. If one isn't on try the other. We have to invite manually.

INTRO

Shin Megami Tensei IMAGINE is an Shin Megami Tensei MMO recently reaquired by Atlus. For those of you that aren't aware, SMT (Shin Megami Tensei) is a semi popular RPG where you have casual chats with demons and get them to help you bust up the rest of the demons. It's a lot like pokemon with various horrible mythological monsters. (generally modeled fairly accurately to mythological terms! Although there are a few exceptions.) The MMO is basically also this. This is probably the closest we're getting to a pokemon MMO until nintendo pulls it out of their hat on the verge of bankruptcy and the ensuing explosion of wealth disintegrates the XBOX and Playstation. But I digress.

GAMEPLAY

You wander around as your Player Character, and summon demons you recruit via chatting with them (the computer on your arm translates demon speech and was made by SMT steven hawking, no I'm not kidding.), and eventually either convincing them to join you or them deciding you look more tasty then useful. Why will demons join up with some puny human? Humans, while mostly outgunned against many larger demons (think "Hecatonchires", the creatures that helped the greek gods overthrow the titans), many smaller things like pixies and Cu Sith (Scottish fairies that take the form of dogs about the size of a small calf) are on much more even terms, and often are indeed preyed upon by larger demons. So why not help this guy out if he'll help you not get eaten by a horrible dragon monster. You can hold anywhere from 6 to I believe 10 demons at a time, and only have one out at a time.

The combat is skill based, however, it depends on your location and generally plays a lot like an action game. Your skils can rank up if you let them, just by use, and you should generally only have a few skills activated for leveling, and even then only after you've decided your build. Deciding your build is simple and someone in-game can help you with it. It merely involves simple math. Immunities are a big part of the game, and any given demon can be resistant to several types of damage and in many cases immune to a few as well. Carrying around multiple weapon types or using multiple elements of magic is highly reccomended.

Demons can level up too, and there is an extensive demon combining aspect, think dragon warrior monsters, where demons will inherit skills from parent demons. You can rebirth them to change their growth rates, meaning there's no demon you can't make useful and perhaps even viable into endgame things with a bit of elbow grease. So if you like the look of a demon, keep that sucker around and work at it.

Another factor is ALIGNMENT. Every demon has an alignment, every player character has an alignment, and it is VERY IMPORTANT. Hardcore law demons won't want to interact with hardcore chaos player characters, much rather preferring to take care of this threat to their way of life, and vice versa. It's not to say you absolutely CAN'T USE ANY LAW DEMONS IF YOU'RE NEUTRAL, but most of them are going to be locked out of your reach unless you're in that alignment.

Most people know this already, but a brief description of alignments.

LAW - Absolute order, laws for everything, perfect safety for everyone involved, swift punishment for the unjust.

NEUTRAL - Laws exist, but they are not terribly restricting, and they generally see in shades of grey.

CHAOS - No laws, law of the jungle, the stronger you are the better off you are.

It functions on a sliding scale, and everyone starts smack dab in the middle of the alignment chart. Choices you make during the main plotline determine your alignment primarily, but you can shift to another alignment by making donations at their church.

SETTING

It's the 2000's, the world has been overrun by various celestial and mythological beasts and humans aren't doing so hot anymore now that there are six armed three faced giants roaming the face of the planet. But not all hope is lost, humans have dug into mountains and made underground fortresses, called HOMES, and have slowly begun to retake the surface, thanks to demon busters, something that is in essence acting as the military in this troubled time, people that have been given training and equipment designed to deal with these new threats. Many demons are not necessarily straight up aggressive, but most of them do not have the best long term intentions for the human race.

The game has an overarcing main plot questline that unlocks various bonuses and such, ultimately culminating in a gigantic raid instance that crushes all but the most prepared people. It also needs like, 60 people and 15 parties of people. Yeah. You'll want to get your Demon Buster liscense as fast as possible as it unlocks a lot of movement options and generally makes long distance travel much less of a chore.

STYLING

The artstyle is.... fairly dark? It's not entirely brown and black though, it's got a nice selection of stuff. It's honestly a very good mesh of slightly anime stuff and gothic stuff, I really love the art direction in this game to death. The demons are again usually modeled fairly accurately to their mythological counterparts.

Some samples:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Obviously this is just six of 152, and there are many to come.

BUILDS 101

Builds can be simple. You can max two stats, and dump into a third, so a pure melee build would either be Str and Vit, dump into luck, or Str and Luck, Dump into vit. This is how stat builds generally work the entire time. Pure mage is First magic, then Int, then Vit, etc. Rangers use Speed as a damage stat, so that first, then Luck, then Vit. Stat builds are simple.

Now, skills. Skills can be VERY COMPLICATED.

You have 26k expertise, that's all the skills you get. Every class is 1k, every rank is 100. So, by this logic, you just need to add up the skills at the ranks you want them at to see if they'll fit.

So for instance, a build would be...

9 classes of Attack 9k
1 class of talk 1k
1 class of guard 1k
1 class of counter 1k
9 classes of Weapon Knowledge 9k
5 classes of Survival techniques 5k

9k+1k+1k+1k+9k+5k = 26k

On top of this, for any skills you aren't maxing, be sure to max them, then rank them up once more. Why? because unless you use a rank reset water, the final rank for non maxed skills will almost always have a little bit of garbage expertise that isn't going to anything, and yet is preventing another rank from happening.

Be sure to do this before level 30, as that's the cap for using reset items.

BUILDS 101

Pick one central attack skill to focus on. I picked attack, someone else might pick rush, someone else might pick spin, etc. You might be able to squeeze in a second attack skill, but it's kinda hard. Ranged should be focusing on either shot or rapid. This doesn't mean melee's should never use rush or spin if they're focusing on attack, as they are vital skills to counter other defensive skills, but your primary offense will be composed of your primary attack skill. This is non negotiable, if you're not being experimental.

Look at the chain expertises and pick one, maybe two if you can work it into a build. Chain expertises rank up as you rank up the skills associated with them. So if you're gonna get two you're almost certainly only raising both of them part of the way, usually to get to a particular chain expertise skill. Builds revolve around chain expertises. Some builds will hybridize, some will stay pure, both are fairly effective.

Now that you know all this, go to Your appropriate forum at the top here and find a build you like, or do research via asking people and looking at currently existing builds. The system is very mallaeable, the question is how effective it will be after all is said and done, so I do suggest a cookie cutter build to start with, while you get your bearings. If you want to try a seperate build, you can always make another account.

And that's that.

INFORMATION

If you're below level 20, go to the newbie area in Home III and talk to the drunken DB. Free double exp for half an hour! Nice.

DOLLA BILLS YA'LL (Money management and price guide (in development forever; message me if you have a GOOD price that has worked for you.)

Fusing horrible monsters: A tutorial.

LINKS

Game Link: Here. THE GAME USES PANDO MEDIA BOOSTER TO DOWNLOAD ITSELF, ONCE IT'S DONE DOWNLOADING, UNINSTALL PANDO AND NEVER LOOK BACK. It won't hurt your computer but it does seed downloads without your permission which is kind've scummy.

Wiki: WIKI USE THAT USE THAT USE THAT. It's not quite up to date but it's up to date enough. You're generally gonna use it to find demon skills to pass around to your mans.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2013, 06:02:48 pm by Seriyu »

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

The walking speed is so outrageously slow without buying a decent mount that I just gave up on the game a while ago. Nice to have more options for SMT fans, though.

ZebAbirul

• Bay Watcher
  • Friendly neighborhood lurking extraordinaire
    • View Profile

I am so totally in on this!! The only reason I wasn't playing is that none of my friends like the series :(

majikero

• Bay Watcher
  • Poi~
    • View Profile

I've played this before. Awesome but the grind got to me. A guild does make grinding bearable.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile

The walking speed is so outrageously slow without buying a decent mount that I just gave up on the game a while ago. Nice to have more options for SMT fans, though.
Temptation, and then... mabinogi slow? Designed so you spend a lot of time mindlessly walking from point a to point b, in such a way to notably exaggerate the effect of slow walking?

... probably try it anyway, but... that'll probably run me off after a bit :-\
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Seriyu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Springless Clock

Walking speed: I dunno how it was in the past but now mounts are free, just go to shinjuku babel (Which is kind've a walk in and of itself but it won't take too terrible long), and he'll give you a ring that lets you mount any "nimble" demon, a nimble demon and the ability to create more nimble demons.

I think the rings are fairly expensive but the repairing works like mabinogi so it'll take a while for the ring to break for good.

EDIT: THe NPC's name is DB Okabe by the way, for those of you that want one right away.  :P

EDIT2: AHhhhhh, the first ring is free but future rings cost cash shop currency/killing a horrible field boss esque monster and hoping for a drop. BUT some stuff later on in the game gives out riding rings for prizes so they're not super rare, just kinda hard. Law has it easier then chaos for them.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2012, 01:59:53 am by Seriyu »

majikero

• Bay Watcher
  • Poi~
    • View Profile

Had an account when it was still aeria games. Forgot what it was though. Now sure if I can still migrate the character.

I remember my goal there is to fuse Alice.

majikero

• Bay Watcher
  • Poi~
    • View Profile

I'll try if I can still remember it.

Seriyu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Springless Clock

Yeah, there's a migrate button on the website as of now, should be fine.

majikero

• Bay Watcher
  • Poi~
    • View Profile

man, it won't accept my aeria account.  :'(

Should I play this, I got to start all over again.

Seriyu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Springless Clock

Yes, because it's a great game.

Also there's some new beginner stuff anyway, quests and such to help you along.

Seriyu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Springless Clock

Lesseee, SirAaronIII(Fayalite) is a magic-gun type (magic bullet/sharpshooter/curse of the wretched in his own words), he's got law

His sister, non B12er is an attack warrior heading for retaliation, she's goin chaos

And I myself (Bariaus) am also heading for retaliation because melee yeaaaah, also neutral

Friend me when and if you decide to get back on and we'll getcha hooked up to a party! Or guild depending on how far along we are. On that note, guild name ideas anyone? If we can get it whittled down to two or three names I'll put up a poll.

Annnd it'll probably be in shinjuku babel as it's more centralized but if someone gives me a really good reason for the alternative (home III, starting area) then I'll switch it up maybe.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2012, 01:58:58 am by Seriyu »

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile

I seem to have no particular clue what I'm doing, so far. Current primary question: Is there any way to get your minions to actually, like, attack consistently, short of mashing their skill hotkey repeatedly?
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Seriyu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Springless Clock

Here's what I do, and yeah, learnign to command minions is kind've a thing, if you've got a melee minion, you can either send it off to attack something before you attack something (so say, target a jack frost, hit their basic attack key a couple of times (once to get it flashing, another to send it off, skills have a load time like in mabinogi, watch the icon), then they'll run off, attack it, and they'll engage in combat with it using AI. Once he's attacking a seperate enemy you go attack another and deal with it. Demons generally aren't gonna be really super intelligent about stuff, but they generally have enough stats and dumb luck to pull off basic enemies.That's probably good for normal enemies.

For bosses and stuff you'll probably want the demon by your side(I personally go into every demon I intend to use's settings and turn off "attack enemy I'm attacking" or whatever it's called, it tends to cause more issues then it solves) and if you mess up a defensive move, tell your demon to attack the one attacking you, he can usually manage to intercept it while it's hitting you and greatly reduce your damage.

Caster/ranged demons are a similar process, but before you do anything with them, go into their battle settings and turn off them using defensive skills and melee attacks, as they can usually just kill things before they get to them. Then just treat them like a melee demon, send them attacking an enemy, then attack a seperate enemy.

If you just can't get the hang of things, you can also just have a demon buff/heal you and remain idle by turning off "attack the same enemy as me". Then it basically won't attack anything that doesn't attack it. The cerebrus you start with is a melee demon, definitely.

It all takes some getting used to, but once you get the hang of it they're pretty handy little dudes. :P

EDIT: OH ALSO, sometimes it'll seem like the demon is just standing there and not doing anything, that's because it has counter loaded, similarly if they're just kind've meandering around, they have defense loaded. Check their hotbar if you see this, and look for a flashing icon, flashing icons are active skills.

EDIT2: also, you can control a demon directly if you hit tab. The camera doesn't follow them so you can't just like, roam the countryside, but it's enough to maybe fight off an enemy that's killed you and then get the demon to revive you via a skill. (they can't use items in the inventory)

Particularly handy as the starter cerebrus has recarm, the revive skill.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2012, 04:01:27 am by Seriyu »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7