Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 16

Author Topic: Fun Is Mandatory: A Play-By-Post Paranoia Passtime. Accepting Waitlisters!  (Read 12314 times)

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile

I started writing up a couple of sections describing Alpha Complex, but I lost it and will just have a couple friends describe it.

TL;DR: Paranoia is set in the future. The game takes place in Alpha Complex, a probably-underground place full of high tech and numerous plots. Alpha Complex is ruled by the Computer, who has made happiness mandatory and authorizes summary execution for almost any violation of the rules. You are a Troubleshooter, one of many agents who try to root out secret societies (especially Communists), mutants, traitors, Commie mutant traitors, etc. You are a mutant, a member of a secret society, and will probably commit treason eventually. Thankfully, your "friends" don't know this. Trouble which Troubleshooters shoot includes not just various traitors, but also invasions from Outside,, malfunctions, weird events which can't easily be explained, and so on and so forth. Obstacles are not just enemies but the environment, other citizens of Alpha Complex, misinformation to and about you, bureaucracy, your alleged allies, and even your equipment. About the only reason you can survive past a couple missions is that everyone has six clones rather than one person.
This is a humorous game.

I can probably handle half a dozen players or so, but not much more. Further applicants will be waitlisted.

Never played Paranoia before? Oh well. Don't know the rules? Doesn't matter. I'll be doing all the rolls myself, the rules are basically off-limits to players, and you'll figure out all you need about what to do by your third or fourth clone. Still, here's some rules you should know.
Spoiler: Character Creation (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Gameplay (click to show/hide)
A note on names: An Alpha Complex name has four parts. The first is a word that is typically used as the citizen's actual, "first" name. The second is a letter designating the citizen's security clearance (R, for Red, at the start of the game). The third is three uppercase letters designating the sector the citizen lives in. The fourth is a number based on which clone you're on (1 to start). You only get to choose two of these parts, as you can see. Feel free to make your name a reference, pun, bad pun, or bad referential pun.

Treason is a vital part of a Troubleshooter's life. Treason may be punished by death, but in most minor cases it is frowned on to do so. A Troubleshooter on a mission is cut more slack; a summary execution whilst on a mission results in a little hearing, and if testimony of all surviving people who were present indicates a reasonable assumption of treason, all the punishment assigned is filling out a brief form. It's easier to get through the hearing if everyone else present is dead. Traitors, all of them. However, unfounded accusations of treason are treason.

Finally, a note on actions. Typically, you will post them in the thead here (once we start). However, if you feel the need to do a treasonous action, feel free to PM me.

Traitor Tips:
Use your mutant power in a pinch, it's not like you'll survive if you don't.
Consider registering your mutant power, then you can use it freely.
Watch out for R&D stuff! It is often malfunctional, and may well kill you faster than anything you could stop with it.
The best witness to a crime is a dead or fictional one. Missing witnesses are better than present ones, but silence them permanently ASAP if you can.
Dignity is lethal. Humble thyself in front of superiors, even off you'll shoot them once they turn around. This goes double when dealing with the Computer.
Conversely, if you are in command, give subordinates dangerous assignments. You may claim credit posthumously.
Delay, delay, delay. He who hesitates is farther from execution.
Don't be stingy with "friendly fire"--your "friends" won't. Kill them before they can kill you; this gives some scapegoats to boot! If you're the only survivor, you can twist events pretty much however you like in the debriefing.
Subtlety can save your bacon. Don't shoot everyone--accidents work better.
He in the back can keep an eye on everyone and can't get shot in the back. Try to be the rear guardsman. Second choice is on the flanks.
If you are the Mission Leader or otherwise in a position to choose marching order, put the greatest threat in front, those with area-affect weapons in the middle, and various non-threats right in front of you.
Don't start anything you can't finish. Ideally to component atoms.
Find scapegoats for every scheme. Ideally, you can take two foes out with one plan--one killed, one implicated.
Anyone you can't kill, convince to be on your side and agree with your story.
You have nothing to lose by committing treason.

The above space is intentionally left blank and does not include information useful to traitors.

Spoiler: Misc Useful Info (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: December 19, 2012, 10:51:53 pm by GreatWyrmGold »
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Fun Is Mandatory: A Play-By-Post Paranoia Passtime
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2012, 09:23:11 pm »

Live Characters:
Spoiler: Fun-R-THN-2 (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Trig-R-HPY-1 (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Steady-R-HAT (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Cat-R-URS-1 (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Mayfair-R-FUN-1 (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: December 28, 2012, 08:08:43 pm by GreatWyrmGold »
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

mcclay

• Bay Watcher
  • Gay, Tired and Just here to Vibe
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2012, 09:34:28 pm »

FUN-R-THN-1
Glory to Friend Computer!
Are you happy today citzen?
Am I back? Its a mystery to everyone

rabidgam3r

• Bay Watcher
  • bruh
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2012, 09:46:25 pm »

TRG-R-HPY-1

EDIT: i can make my character's personality though, right?
« Last Edit: December 15, 2012, 09:48:06 pm by rabidgam3r »
Even if he hadn't brought the server down in a ball of flaming, slow-mo gibbing corgis

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2012, 10:06:03 pm »

Of course, although consider waiting until you know more about your character. You might make a wallflower who ends up being a member of the Armed Forces and PURGE, which would be...kinda funny, actually.
Sig

rabidgam3r

• Bay Watcher
  • bruh
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2012, 10:09:28 pm »

No matter, what i want him to be a total nutcase with bad self-control when it comes to not killing people.
Even if he hadn't brought the server down in a ball of flaming, slow-mo gibbing corgis

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2012, 10:42:55 pm »

I'd like to note that the first name does NOT have to be three letters or capitalised.
Sig

rabidgam3r

• Bay Watcher
  • bruh
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2012, 10:44:50 pm »

*Cough*Waiting*Cough*

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2012, 11:34:26 pm »

Getting done...
Sig

rabidgam3r

• Bay Watcher
  • bruh
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2012, 11:44:51 pm »

Yeah, sorry, i was joking.

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2012, 11:45:24 pm »

Steady-R-HAT-1

I'd just like to state, I am happy.
Nom nom nom

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2012, 11:58:19 pm »

Sent out messages to the first two; playing A World Asunder at the moment, so probably won't send Steady's stats until the morrow.
Sig

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2012, 10:32:14 am »

I've finished Steady's attributes and such. I need skills for those of you who haven't sent me them. Give me skills to prioritize and I'll do the rest; tell me how many points to invest in various skills and I'll do that. Either or.
Sig

mcclay

• Bay Watcher
  • Gay, Tired and Just here to Vibe
    • View Profile
Re: Fun Is Mandatory: A Play-By-Post Paranoia Passtime. Spots open!
« Reply #13 on: December 16, 2012, 11:04:50 am »

Do we get to know what each others Service group entails, oh great and Fun Computer.
Am I back? Its a mystery to everyone

Dariush

• Bay Watcher
  • I don't think I !!am!!, therefore I !!am!! not
    • View Profile
Re: Fun Is Mandatory: A Play-By-Post Paranoia Passtime. Spots open!
« Reply #14 on: December 16, 2012, 11:10:12 am »

Is it going to be played in chat or play-by-post? How RP-heavy is it going to be?

Okay, I'm in. Mayfair-R-FUN-1.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2012, 11:27:15 am by Dariush »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 16