Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 40

Author Topic: Mafia and Masons and Hackers - Game Over!  (Read 89219 times)

Captain Ford

• Bay Watcher
  • Eating dragons has some side effects...
    • View Profile
Re: Mafia and Masons and Hackers - Day One (11/13) - One replacement needed
« Reply #255 on: February 01, 2013, 07:39:50 pm »

Just FYI, according to this, the deadline was today. (Jan 28 + 4 days = Feb 1)

No time specified, though.
...Holy shit. Ford, you get the Official Medal of Epic Awesomeness.
Its official! Ford! You need to put it in your sig now! "Official Mafia Welcomer!"

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #256 on: February 01, 2013, 07:46:41 pm »

Either way, it was the same tie and the deadline has past (if you take the deadline to be exactly one week after Norris died, that passed a few hours ago). Now we must wait to see who gets the chop. Here's hoping that both TolyK and the Captain are scum, eh?  :)

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
Re: Mafia and Masons and Hackers - Day Two (10/13) - Two replacements needed
« Reply #257 on: February 01, 2013, 07:52:14 pm »

It's always a week from the last death.

Suspected Hacker Pulled from Burning House
February 2nd, 2030
A man is in a critical condition today following a major blaze that engulfed his home.  The fire began due to a gas leak in his home.  Police have not ruled out the possibility of attempted suicide, but point out that the gas leak and subsequent detonation could have been triggered remotely by a determined group of hackers.

Police have confirmed that the man is suspected to be known as TolyK online, a "mason" (or leader) in the group Pseudonym.  Charges are expected to be brought against him once his condition is stable.

TolyK has been lynched.

He was a mason.

Deadline is exactly one week away from this post - that's about 1am GMT on the 9th of February.

With 10 alive it takes 6 votes to lynch.

Captain Ford

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Mafia and Masons and Hackers - Day Two (10/13) - Two replacements needed!
« Reply #258 on: February 01, 2013, 08:07:53 pm »

Leafsnail: Thanks for the clear deadline.

Also, the lynch votecount is missing ZU entirely.
Its official! Ford! You need to put it in your sig now! "Official Mafia Welcomer!"

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #259 on: February 01, 2013, 09:32:16 pm »

At this rate it'll still take six weeks for the scum to whittle us down, but if we don't start counterwhittling then we certainly lose so we shouldn't be complacent.

Post-lynch Analysis
Scum would probably not knowingly targeted a mason when a townie could be hung, so either they didn't know Tolyk was a mason, scum believed Ford to be a mason (unlikely given he voted tolyk), or Ford is scum. Scum would have no reason to suspect the alignment of TolyK as TolyK only voted once, in the RVS, and they only just got heat in the last few days. So the scum either made a choice between two unknowns or Ford is scum. Basically we haven't learned anything that we can use for scum hunting.

We only know one thing for sure:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Leafsnail
How are we coming along getting replacements?

Everyone
We need to lynch to win this game. There is no two ways about it. In order to lynch we need a majority. A majority is damn hard to get when we have so many lurkers. Lurkers may lose us the game. Replacements don't seem to be coming along at any speed. Furthermore, given the lack of sudden deaths in the last week, scum can be deemed as likely as town to be lurkers. I say we get rid of arch-lurker Phantom unless a replacement is found soon. Does that sound reasonable?

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #260 on: February 01, 2013, 09:50:53 pm »

NQT:  There are two more things you forgot to mention as things to get from this lynch.

1.  Whoever broke the tie had to be online between Leaf's two posts to send in the tiebreaker.

2.  A suspicious eye should be cast toward the person who made the tie.

Captain Ford fits both those criteria.  I'd ask you why you picked TolyK, but it's pretty obvious why you wouldn't want to lynch yourself.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #261 on: February 01, 2013, 09:58:42 pm »

Let's dig deeper.

Dariush   Hasn't been online since before tiebreaking.
Tiruin   Hasn't been online since before tiebreaking.
Phantom of The Library   Hasn't been online since before tiebreaking.
Captain Ford   Posted in thread between tie form and break.
Edosurist   Hasn't been online since before tiebreaking.
Deathsword   Active since tiebreak.
notquitethere   Posted in thread between tie form and break.
zombie urist   Last active right before broken tie.
obolisk0430   Hasn't been online since before tiebreaking.

Removing those who haven't been online and therefore couldn't have sent the tiebreak:

Captain Ford   Posted in thread between tie form and break.
Deathsword   Active since tiebreak.
notquitethere   Posted in thread between tie form and break.
zombie urist   Last active right before broken tie.

Now ZU and Deathsword were online in time to break the tie, but weren't posting elsewhere.  NQT and Ford were certainly around.  It's hard to speculate on ZU and Deathsword, but at least one of these four is absolutely scum.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Captain Ford

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #262 on: February 01, 2013, 11:05:31 pm »

notquitethere:
Everyone
We need to lynch to win this game. There is no two ways about it. In order to lynch we need a majority. A majority is damn hard to get when we have so many lurkers. Lurkers may lose us the game. Replacements don't seem to be coming along at any speed. Furthermore, given the lack of sudden deaths in the last week, scum can be deemed as likely as town to be lurkers. I say we get rid of arch-lurker Phantom unless a replacement is found soon. Does that sound reasonable?
Killing off a lurker isn't going to improve our majority. It'll stay exactly the same.

"...given the lack of sudden deaths in the last week, scum can be deemed as likely as town to be lurkers." - How do you equate not using their daykill to not being active? Isn't it much more likely that after losing two of their number, they're much more hesitant to try it themselves? Especially considering they have no idea who their teammates tried to kill?

In my opinion, the ones with itchy-trigger fingers killed themselves off first, and the remaining two are still alive because they have more restraint. I don't expect we'll see much more doxxing unless somebody makes a big slip.

And Phantom isn't lurking. He's requested a replacement. Those are not the same thing. His inactivity is now solely due to not having a ready replacement, and not due to any fault on his part. Calling on everyone to lynch someone who won't fight back seems inexcusably lazy.

PPE: Toaster.

I was about to ask if using metainfo like that was frowned upon or not. It hadn't occurred to me that I was also online at the time (and thus would also be a suspect).

But yes, I can verify that ZU, notquitethere and myself were online at the time. Deathsword was not (at the time, his most recent visit was an hour before). I can also verify that you, Toaster, were not online at that time, and neither was anyone else.

I scanned the rules considering this possibility before the game began, and noticed that there's nothing that prevents the mafia from sending in the tie-breaking vote well in advance. It could have been sent yesterday. But I would need Leafsnail to verify that.

Captain Ford

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #263 on: February 01, 2013, 11:12:17 pm »

EBWOP: The day technically ended yesterday. Considering Leafsnail rewound to that point in time, it's not unreasonable to think that the tie-breaking vote may already have been submitted by someone who was paying attention.

But as long as the metainfo is in play, zombie urist was the closest to the lynch, and he's the only one who wasn't posting anywhere else.

Captain Ford

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #264 on: February 02, 2013, 12:37:19 am »

Wait. Who else needs a replacement now?

zombie urist

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_LIVING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #265 on: February 02, 2013, 03:52:35 am »

...that's such a terrible way to play this game.
The worst part of all of this is that Shakerag won.

Dariush

• Bay Watcher
  • I don't think I !!am!!, therefore I !!am!! not
    • View Profile
« Reply #266 on: February 02, 2013, 04:22:53 am »

But as long as the metainfo is in play, zombie urist was the closest to the lynch, and he's the only one who wasn't posting anywhere else.
The closest to the lynch how? By having zero votes, which is certainly more than your three, Ford?

The main reasons for this vote is that if Ford wasn't scum, scum would have basically zero reason to lynch Tolyk, since he could easily be lynched at any point due to his lurkatron. And that's in addition to all the other scummy shit he pulled off earlier.

Everyone
This looks more like a lazy attempt to get out of scumhunting than... well, than anything else. Because that's exactly what is it, NQT. For someone who claims to be thinking of everything in logical terms, you sure missed a gaping hole in your theory that lynching lurkers merely erases the possibility of them getting replaced and stopping being lurkers.

TolyK

• Bay Watcher
  • Nowan Ilfideme
    • View Profile
« Reply #267 on: February 02, 2013, 04:53:25 am »

Thanks for helping me with my project.
Seriously. :P

But sorry for not going "need replacement"
My Mafia Stats
just do whatevery tolyK and blame it as a bastard mod
Shakerag: Who are you personally suspicious of?
At this point?  TolyK.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #268 on: February 02, 2013, 08:28:10 am »

Huh what.

Timezones, sir?

Now...this is really confusing. Why would you vote on ZU without any conclusive information  - how is he scum? Ford

Everyone
This looks more like a lazy attempt to get out of scumhunting than... well, than anything else. Because that's exactly what is it, NQT. For someone who claims to be thinking of everything in logical terms, you sure missed a gaping hole in your theory that lynching lurkers merely erases the possibility of them getting replaced and stopping being lurkers.
Query on lynching lurkers: @Dariush & NQT: What makes them different in this type of game? If you see someone lurking, in this situation with the players as such, to what feel of alignment do you think they are and how?

Does lurking essentially mean scum? Why or why not?

Also, guess what? Scum are at a total disadvantage here. More later.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #269 on: February 02, 2013, 01:03:57 pm »

obolisk:
Nice job ignoring me, will you ever read what I type and give me your reads on everyone already?

Ford:
I'd like to state first that this
Quote from: Deathsword
It was actually a good plan, I'll admit.
was sincere, and not sarcasm. Even if you believe otherwise.

Now back to the game
EBWOP: The day technically ended yesterday. Considering Leafsnail rewound to that point in time, it's not unreasonable to think that the tie-breaking vote may already have been submitted by someone who was paying attention.

Are you basing off your vote on ZU simply because he was active during the tiebreak? By that logic, you and NQT should be scummier, since you posted during the tie.

From a strategic point of view, it is much more profitable for scum to lynch an active player than a lurker, since it would remove a possible threat. As such, unless scum was really idiotic, Ford would be the best target for the tiebreak, not TolyK. The only reason scum would choose the lurker is if the other target was scum. Thusly, it can be quite easy to deduct one of the possible scum. Ford.

NQT:
Are you going to keep voting people up for replacement instead of scumhunting?

And then there's this:
Post-lynch Analysis
Scum would probably not knowingly targeted a mason when a townie could be hung, so either they didn't know Tolyk was a mason, scum believed Ford to be a mason (unlikely given he voted tolyk), or Ford is scum. Scum would have no reason to suspect the alignment of TolyK as TolyK only voted once, in the RVS, and they only just got heat in the last few days. So the scum either made a choice between two unknowns or Ford is scum. Basically we haven't learned anything that we can use for scum hunting.
How the fuck we do not have anything to use on scumhunting? Re-read your own post, more specifically the part I quoted, and tell me there isn't anything we can use to scumhunt.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 40