Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 40

Author Topic: Mafia and Masons and Hackers - Game Over!  (Read 89371 times)

zombie urist

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_LIVING]
    • View Profile
Re: Mafia and Masons and Hackers - Day One (12/13) - #4ksxb549ksap053l
« Reply #150 on: January 22, 2013, 05:56:33 pm »

Funny thing is...

claiming mason makes you look not-like a mason. Even if you meant it facetiously.
The worst part of all of this is that Shakerag won.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: January 22, 2013, 06:00:19 pm »

To clarify, if a mafia member targets a townie the townie does not receive any notification of this.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: January 22, 2013, 06:21:46 pm »

Ah, wall of text, how I love thee...
(Hint: I do not)

Deathsword:
Deathsword: You were awfully quick to jump on the bandwagon, weren't you?

You also jumped pretty hard when notquitethere named you in one of his posts. Seems like you don't want anyone thinking you're on a team.

And you were quite quick to jump on me for attacking NQT, weren't you? And just as quick to shift your vote to do an OMGUS.

NQT made a slip. When Tiruin accused him of buddying up to me, he immediately tried to diver attention by asking you a question, and then quickly shifting that question to Tiruin. He was quick to OMGUS me for a pressure vote and a mild attack, and now he is jumpier than ever. He is scum, and you, Ford, might be too.
He copped up to making a mistake. In case you missed it. We're both players in BM 38, which is still ongoing and I'm sure he's paying close attention to.
And I stated before that I do not believe it was a mistake, I believe he is trying to cover up a slip.

Also ... now that I look at the definition, my vote wasn't an OMGUS. I voted him primarily for twisting my words. His voting me was incidental. I think the phrase OMGUS is overused in a lot of situations where it really doesn't apply. Also, I've never seen any reasoning for why an OMGUS is an indicator of anything.
An OMGUS indicates a person is nervous, afraid of being found out. It's an indicator alright.

And, um. Tiruin didn't accuse NQT of buddying. He accused him of being your buddy. Buddying is something done between people on different teams. Tiruin accused you of being on the same team.

You were the first person to accuse NQT of buddying, Deathsword. And it seemed apparent to me that NQT just picked a random name off the list. Thus his facetious reply to Tiruin's question.

So to me, accusing him of buddying is ludicrous. It's obvious your name was picked out of a hat. You'd probably only think it was buddying if you were overly sensitive to it. Which can only mean you don't want it look like you're his teammate.
I wasn't inclined to think you were on the same team, or that you were on a team at all until you reacted to it. So I'm not sure why you did.
Tiruin accused him of buddying. The link to it is in your own text. And even if he didn't accuse NQT of buddying, as you claim, I still did. Why? Because he was trying to buddy up to me. Why is it scummy? Because if you, as scum, can get a player to trust you, they are less likely to vote you and more likely to go after someone else. Sure, my name may have been picked out randomly, but it changes little when it comes to his intentions.

I will admit to jumping in to protect NQT. Because that's what I did. I did it because I thought your reasons for voting him were bullshit. I still do.

Addressing this specifically:
He was quick to OMGUS me for a pressure vote and a mild attack, and now he is jumpier than ever.

I don't think it was an OMGUS. I think you looked like you were overreacting and that was a perfectly valid reason for him to investigate you. I do think that you are trying very hard to incriminate both of us with very little cause.

You seem to think he's being jumpy for ... putting your name in red twice in the same post? Are you serious? It looks completely natural to me. And I happen to think it's an effective means of applying pressure, Deathsword.

From what I can see, he's calm and collected in the way he's responding to your posts. You're the one who's jumpy and pulling crap out of nowhere.
Calm? He tried to divert attention from Tiruin's accusations by throwing a question. He jumped at me the moment I voted him. That is hardly calm. Newbies often panick when under attack, and NQT barely has any experience. Sure, he could be just a flaling newbie, but I'm not one for betting, much less in such things. He smells scum to me, and there is evidence to back it.

To sum up, Deathsword:

- Do you still think NQT was buddying you?
Yes. Read above.

...and for good measure, Deathsword. (I hope you can see the humor in this)
Thou art truly a master of humour. I salute thee.

Sarcasm aside, NQT must be proud to have you as a teammate, as you are risking yourself to defend him.

Which leads me to the question, why are you going to such an effort to protect him?
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Phantom of The Library

• Bay Watcher
  • [PRONE_TO: SUDDEN DISAPPEARANCES]
    • View Profile
Re: Mafia and Masons and Hackers - Day One (13/13) - #4ksxb549ksap053l
« Reply #153 on: January 22, 2013, 06:27:08 pm »

Phantom: Please stop using so many line breaks.
Sorry, I was trying to make it look neater, guess it went the way around  :P

@ZU//UI//PoTL: Can you give me your reads on what you got from that one-liner on me and Ford?

You appear to be attempting some sort of WIFOMy gambit, which raises my suspicions of you just a little bit.
Gnosis - Torn Ajar -- Text Suggestion Games.
This is what happens when we randomly murder people.

You get attacked by a Yandere triangle monster.

Edosurist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: January 22, 2013, 09:03:12 pm »

@Toaster
I noticed you mentioned RVS and RQS separately, using both terms.  Do you see them as two different things or was that just variance in what you called it?  If they are different to you, how do your views of the two differ?
Random Voting stage: Random votes placed on a person to spark reactions. These reactions actually get you somewhere.
Random Questioning Stage: Random questions used in tandem with RVS, often asking about game theory or other pointless questions. These generally result in discussions on playstyle as opposed to a scummy thing that a person does.
A prime example of this would be this question itself. How does my view on RVS vs. RQS have any relevance to the game?

@Phantom
Don't worry, I saw your post. I need to go now, so I had to cut the post short. I'll get back to you.

Imiknorris
So now all we've got to do is to put a couple of grannies into the LHC and smash them against each other at relativistic speeds. Lather, rinse, repeat until we got results.

Captain Ford

• Bay Watcher
  • Eating dragons has some side effects...
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: January 22, 2013, 09:09:38 pm »

Deathsword:

I'm going to call out this in particular:
Tiruin accused him of buddying.

You are objectively wrong. The original statement by NQT, NQT's reply to that post, and Tiruin's reply to it make it absolutely clear what they were talking about.

You are being obstinate about this for no good reason.

And even if he didn't accuse NQT of buddying, as you claim, I still did. Why? Because he was trying to buddy up to me. Why is it scummy? Because if you, as scum, can get a player to trust you, they are less likely to vote you and more likely to go after someone else.

I just don't see it. It was blatant. It was clearly a box of WIFOM. Without a better knowledge of NQT, there's no way to know how or why he chose your name. Speculating is completely pointless. It's a complete waste of time.

And he called you his scumbuddy. That is the strangest way to buddy someone that I've ever seen. In fact, that's probably the reason why you're reacting to it so badly.

Which leads me to the question, why are you going to such an effort to protect him?
Shouldn't I try to protect any townie from scum?

But in all seriousness, NQT's writing style is very similar to mine. I can clearly tell that he's not panicked in the least. That's also why I know your argument is bullshit, even if you don't.

Protecting NQT is only a side-effect of going after you. I'm not sorry about it, because you weren't getting anywhere. That you think you were with a claim like that is kind of bizarre.

The question is whether or not you're actually this paranoid, or if you're just out to get him because you smell an easy kill.

...but there's something else, too...

After you made your case, Nerjin popped in to support you with this gem:
NQT I have a question for you. Why so interested in scum advice?

So NQT's been voted by scum, and you've been linked to scum by a common target. Sure, it's possible Nerjin was buddying you and voting for an ally. But those things just aren't that common.

That link alone might be a good enough reason for you to hang. But I want to hear what others think about it, first.
...Holy shit. Ford, you get the Official Medal of Epic Awesomeness.
Its official! Ford! You need to put it in your sig now! "Official Mafia Welcomer!"

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: January 22, 2013, 09:21:53 pm »

Bluh bluh post tomorrow.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: January 22, 2013, 10:37:29 pm »

Aw man, there is so much here I want to reply to, but I got tied up building a magma moat and now it's half three in the morning. So I'll get back to y'all tomorrow.

Just my quick two pennies on the mason claim thing earlier: Ford was completely logical in that a mason claim is a null tell, and people jumping on him when he made a tongue-in-cheek mason claim was utterly bizarre/paranoid.

I really want to talk about what Nerjin's death might mean, but first I must sleep!

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: January 22, 2013, 11:33:33 pm »

Insufficient brain capacity to post tonight.  Will do so in the morning, except I will answer this:

Edos:
Random Voting stage: Random votes placed on a person to spark reactions. These reactions actually get you somewhere.
Random Questioning Stage: Random questions used in tandem with RVS, often asking about game theory or other pointless questions. These generally result in discussions on playstyle as opposed to a scummy thing that a person does.
A prime example of this would be this question itself. How does my view on RVS vs. RQS have any relevance to the game?

Here on B12, those terms are almost interchangeable.  I wanted to see if you said the same because you appeared to treat them differently in the post.  I wanted to be sure you were being consistent.  Also, it gives me an idea of how you think.

Actual relevance to the game?  Pretty low.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Dariush

• Bay Watcher
  • I don't think I !!am!!, therefore I !!am!! not
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: January 23, 2013, 11:48:09 am »

UI:
Signavatar exploded, so I had to go back to a single avatar. I chose Trickster Mode Lord English for the sheer absurdity.
Weakling. Refresh the page to understand.
Dariush: You missed my question:
Dariush: Do you still stand by your notion that the BM-less newbies will be lynched first? (fake-edit: Also, how does it feel to be so popular?)
Yes, of course I do. Everyone will be lynched, though the order may vary. Also, some may be killed instead. Also, some deaths will happen after the game. Mhaha.
Also, what are your reads on notquitethere and obolisk?
Too early in the game to state reads on people, especially considering obolisk had a whopping one post so far.

Ford:
You said "the sudden attention of those masons may incriminate them for scum." But if everyone simply ignores it, then that doesn't happen. Since paying attention to it hurts town, and everyone is trying to appear town, then logically everyone should ignore it. Anyone who doesn't is just playing poorly.
Sure. You miss just one crucial thing: there's no benefit to anyone by claiming mason, truthfully or otherwise. You haven't explained why you've done it, only why paying attention to it hurts town. Except that if you didn't claim it, there would be nothing to pay attention to. Therefore, you knowingly did something that has the possibility to hurt town without any benefit to it whatsoever. Die, scum.
First off, do you scumhunt by adding, "but there might be another explanation" to the end of everything you say?

ZU didn't ask me anything, and he didn't investigate any other suspects. How the hell was I supposed to take it?
Oh really? Never heard about pressure votes?
It sure looked an awful lot like he was trying to convince others to lynch me based on a misquoting of something I said.
It sure looks an awful lot like you're trying to cover up your panicking.

And, as an afterword, your quadruple vote of DS is ridiculous, your chainsawing of NQT is shameless, and just because you admit to doing so doesn't make it stop being scummy.

ZU, explain why your pressure vote targets awfully conveniently coincide with whoever has the majority at the time of voting and why you jumped off the Ford wagon without the slightest explanation, just as you jumped on it with a similar lack of any.

zombie urist

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_LIVING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: January 23, 2013, 12:06:29 pm »

My pressure vote was the first vote on Ford. I changed vote cause Tiruin's vote was odd.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: January 23, 2013, 12:59:49 pm »

Blargh, time got busy. Busy is me today. Post coming in the next several hours.

zombie urist
@ZU//UI//PoTL: Can you give me your reads on what you got from that one-liner on me and Ford?
So what's up about it being Odd? And because of my odd-vote, you shifted, I see?

Ford
Tell me, what was your goal in 'claiming' mason. Tell me, Is there any other reason for that claim other than to emphasize a 'joke'?

Also, your point on Deathsword? I can see its because he made an observational-post mistake, but I don't get much in terms of the relation of Nerjin being scum, and his link with DS. Could you clarify that point?

But in all seriousness, NQT's writing style is very similar to mine. I can clearly tell that he's not panicked in the least.
So, how? I seem to detect subtle defending of NQT there.

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: January 23, 2013, 01:13:25 pm »

Dariush
NQT, why did you vote DS twice in the space of two lines?
Just emphasis, I guess. If that's bad practice, I won't do it again.

Deathsword
I am sorry, but didn't you throw a softball question at me asking for advice on how to play as scum?

Those questions are done with the intent of making the player trust you, to make them your buddies. And you took the opportunity to get some advice on how to play your role, since, looking at the BM, you didn't play as scum and thus never had advice from a scum IC.

It has been pointed out by another, but you really wanted to vote me, didn't you? What could make you so nervous as to keep voting me over and over in a single post? Being scum, of course.
You yourself said that I'd asked the same question to other people: where are there accusations of buddying up? Your theory about me asking for scum advice because I was town in my last game is a nice one and I'd be tempted to believe it myself were it not for the fact that I asked that very question when I was last playing as town.

As Ford pointed out, voting the same person twice or more doesn't really convey anything untoward, it's just emphasis. Also, let us suppose that I was buddying up with you, me old scumbuddy Deathsword, (this is great distancing you've been doing! Keep up the good work!), what would that actually convey? Here's a hint:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

That Phantom What Hangs Out In The Library
Or, it's a good way to try and get in a free lynch as scum.  Most people already policy-lynch lurkers, so this has no point.  Besides killing a someone for no reason other than living in a different timezone.
And you would have good reasons for suspicion if I'd have made any later attempt to enforce the lynch, but I didn't and won't as I wasn't really being serious as the time.
Why the OMGUS?
I realise, looking back that it might have seemed omgussy (omgustatious? omgustastic? omugusilicious?) but there are legitimate reasons for suspecting Deathsword. I'll enumerate:

• At the time he hadn't done much scum hunting and had latched on to one person (me)
  • I'd been voted already this might come across as bandwagoning
  • Most of all, his insistence that I was buddying up to him was bizarre and unfounded

Edos
Quote from: moi
I'm interested in hunting scum, and asking how a player would play as scum seems like a pretty good line of enquiry. Do you disagree?
I disagree. Asking a question like that is completely pointless because it only leads to WIFOM, and it’s nullified anyways.
You seem to be against playstyle related questions. This is interesting because these seem to be the norm here. What kind of questions would you ask to get the ball rolling? I like in-character questions relating to the 'flavour' myself, but in my previous game here it was suggested that they're not effective either.

Everyone
What does Nerjin's death convey?

They either doxxed a townie or they doxxed themself to be out of the game. Either way they didn't leave a 'bah' message. As Nerjin's an active player and they run the BM let's assume the former.

Well who could Nerjin have targeted being so sure that the target was a mason? My guess: Captain Ford. Nerjin know's Ford's playstyle from the insider position of running a BM with Ford as a prominent player. Maybe Nerjin's read on Ford is that Ford likes to doublebluff, and when they saw Ford claim to be Mason, Nerjin took that to be a doublebluff and sent in the kill request. What do we all think?

Dariush

• Bay Watcher
  • I don't think I !!am!!, therefore I !!am!! not
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: January 23, 2013, 01:20:36 pm »

What does Nerjin's death convey?

They either doxxed a townie or they doxxed themself to be out of the game. Either way they didn't leave a 'bah' message. As Nerjin's an active player and they run the BM let's assume the former.
This is mind-numbingly stupid. When people don't want to play anymore, they ask for a replacement, not kill themselves.

zombie urist

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_LIVING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: January 23, 2013, 01:51:49 pm »

pfp I think you (nqt) and ford are scembuddys.
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 40