Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 40

Author Topic: Mafia and Masons and Hackers - Game Over!  (Read 89323 times)

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
Re: Mafia and Masons and Hackers - Actually full, rolling setup
« Reply #90 on: January 19, 2013, 09:48:02 pm »

notquitethere, why the arbitrary lynch condition? Also, if you're not quite there, where are you?

Deathsword: If you were mafia about to be lynched, what would you do? Would your answer change if one or more of your buddies was bussing you?

Dariush: Do you still stand by your notion that the BM-less newbies will be lynched first? (fake-edit: Also, how does it feel to be so popular?)

PotL: If you were mafia, who would you most prefer to have as your teammates?

Tiruin: If you were mafia, who would you least prefer to have as your teammates?
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
Re: Mafia and Masons and Hackers - Day One (13/13) - #4ksxb549ksap053l
« Reply #91 on: January 19, 2013, 09:48:28 pm »

Leafsnail: This isn't a bastard game, is it?
Nope, an open setup is about as far as you can go from one.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: January 19, 2013, 09:49:01 pm »

Phanton:  Assume you're a mason.  How heavily would you grill your fellow masons to dissuade the mafia that they are a fellow mason and therefore safe to kill?

Dariush:  Would you be more likely to knowingly vote a teammate if you were a mafioso or a mason?

TolyK:  Under what circumstances would you fire off your kill D1?

Tiruin:  Let's assume you're a mafioso.  It's 36 hours to day end, and someone you are half sure is a mason is tied for the lynch lead.  You're already voting for them.  What would you do in regards to your kill and/or attempting to get them lynched?

Edosurist:  I've never played with you.  How would you treat a scumbuddy differently than a player that wasn't your scumbuddy?
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: January 19, 2013, 10:00:21 pm »

Tiruin: If you were mafia, who would you least prefer to have as your teammates?
Hmm, I guess it would be those who don't favor teamplay that much. I don't carry any favor towards anyone though in the least preferable section. Err, neither would I name names. Everyone is either neutral or favorable to me. How would this knowledge help you?

Also, what is with that new avatar? I missed your old ones. :P

Tiruin:  Let's assume you're a mafioso.  It's 36 hours to day end, and someone you are half sure is a mason is tied for the lynch lead.  You're already voting for them.  What would you do in regards to your kill and/or attempting to get them lynched?
I'm guessing its Day 1? I'm not going to shoot the person but to ascertain more about the others voting for him. I mean, kill order is 4:5, with the latter having a [REBOUND_DEATH] tag. Basically, its like they're in the same group - masons can bus their other masons and lynch them if scummy enough to avoid the pretense of a KILL and townies can act to their own volition.

Its like a Vanilla game with no night!

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: January 19, 2013, 10:01:45 pm »

Captain Ford
notquitethere: Since you're here, same question. Which side do you think has the advantage?
Hmm... I'd say masons, and by extension town. The masons can fairly safely kill everyone who isn't them and odds are they'll win. Mafia have the danger of killing themselves if they dox the wrong person and they can't make a voting majority.
Also, were you serious about lynching the last person to post?
I'm always serious except when I'm not. I'd rather we didn't lynch any innocents but I'd also rather we didn't have too many lurkers.

Tiruin
NQT: You playing by timezones, buddy? How can that one statement even help your wincondition?
Hah I was just getting the ball rolling. The game runs better for all players if lurking is kept to a minimum so any incentive...
Hows the feeling of being in a real game affect you? How would you approach survival in general?
Well I'm looking forward to the challenge. The benefit this time is I won't get nightkilled on Night One ;D. But I guess there's still the danger of being doxed.

In all seriousness, this game is like any mafia game: you gotta ask questions and respond reasonably and hope the scum don't think you're too dangerous to live.

Urist Imiknorris
notquitethere, why the arbitrary lynch condition? Also, if you're not quite there, where are you?
The condition isn't arbitrary: just an incentive to get people to post. If I'm not quite there, then I guess I must be here.

Nerjin: Do you think running a game gives you an edge in playing a game?

Toaster: If you're playing as a mason would you try to indicate to the townfolk that you're a mason. If so, how?

Deathsword: How would you pretend not to be scum?

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: January 19, 2013, 10:04:28 pm »

@NQT: Doxxed?

Also,
...He's your buddy, isn't he?

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: January 19, 2013, 10:09:19 pm »

Tiruin:
I'm guessing its Day 1? I'm not going to shoot the person but to ascertain more about the others voting for him. I mean, kill order is 4:5, with the latter having a [REBOUND_DEATH] tag. Basically, its like they're in the same group - masons can bus their other masons and lynch them if scummy enough to avoid the pretense of a KILL and townies can act to their own volition.

What if it's, say, D4 with one person from each group lynched, and no mafiakills used?  What would make you be more aggressive with your kill?

Notquitethere:
Toaster: If you're playing as a mason would you try to indicate to the townfolk that you're a mason. If so, how?

No.  What would the benefit of me doing that be?  Best result of a mason claim that people believe is that it prevents your lynch because you get daykilled first.

Looking for how I would indicate my masonhood to determine if I'm safe to kill?
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

zombie urist

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_LIVING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: January 19, 2013, 10:33:44 pm »

Nerjin: Do you think it will be more fun being a mason or a regular town?
Obolisk: If you were mafia, how would you decide to use your daykills?
Phantom: How do you think the lack of chats will affect the game?

Hmm... I could've sworn that I saw Edosurist in a game before.

Dariush: What is your strategy?
Phantom of the Library: In your opinion, which side has the advantage in this game?
notquitethere: Since you're here, same question. Which side do you think has the advantage?
Also, were you serious about lynching the last person to post?
Toaster: Have you ever played a setup like this before? If so, how did it go?
These questions are bad.
The worst part of all of this is that Shakerag won.

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: January 19, 2013, 10:36:14 pm »

Tiruin:
@NQT: Doxxed?
Day-killed by secret mafia PM-ing. I refer you to:
There is no night phase so the mafia do not get a nightkill, but instead they have another ability.  At any time any mafia member can send in a daykill (or "dox") action against a town player.  If that player is a mason, they are eliminated.  However, if that player is a townie then the mafia member is eliminated instead (in this case no information is given about who the mafia member targetted).
Or were you questioning my spelling? Maybe 'doxxed' is better than 'doxed'.
Also,
Yep, and this is a transparent plea for advice given the ban on private messaging. So scumbuddy Deathsword, help me out here! In all seriousness, the more advice on scumhunting we can share, the less likely we are to lynch the wrong person. On that note, how would you Captain Ford pretend to be scum?

Toaster
Yes, you've uncovered my dastardly plan! Actually, I agree with your point that revealing your mason identity (if you were a mason) would normally be a bad plan.

Phantom: In analysing other player's posts would you find distancing or buddying up more suspicious?

Dariush: Have you ever played a mafia game with so many other players? Would you say playing with 14 is more challenging than 9?

Edosurist: How would you characterise your mafia play-style, if you've played the game before?

Zombie Urist: What constitutes a good scum-hunting question?

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: January 19, 2013, 10:44:50 pm »

Captain Ford:  Oops, missed yours.

Toaster: Have you ever played a setup like this before? If so, how did it go?

Nope.  Pretty sure this is the first time this has been done on B12, and my off-B12 experience is entirely vanilla.

Notquitethere:
Toaster
Yes, you've uncovered my dastardly plan! Actually, I agree with your point that revealing your mason identity (if you were a mason) would normally be a bad plan.

So why did you ask?

Also, since you have my attention- Would you make a tie at day-end to save a mafia-buddy?  Mason-buddy?

obolisk0430

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: January 19, 2013, 11:07:55 pm »

Obolisk: If you were mafia, how would you decide to use your daykills?
Look for anyone who seems very sure about someone's alignment.
Edosurist: Let's assume you're mafia.  You have only one remaining ally, while there are still 3 towies and 3 masons.  You're taking a bit of heat.  Would you bus your scumbuddy to save yourself?
ZU: Let's assume you're scum.  One non-mafia player is taking the game by storm, and is considered by most to be not scum.  He has allready found and lynched one of the mafia, and is suspicious of two more of your team, neither of them being you.  On the otherhand, another nonscum player is adamantly defending another player, attacking anyone who tries to push him.  Who do you use the daykill on?
Toaster:  Let's assume you're a mason.  One of your masonbuddies has made a bonehead mistake, and is now under fire from most of the nonmasons.  The rest of the masons mostly ignoring him, instead scumhunting elsewhere.  It seems like you might be able to make a case against one of the mafia, but you don't have anything too convincing.  The day is closer to the end than you would like.  What do you do?
Let this be a lesson to us all: Immortality is only temporary. That's why its called immortality.

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: January 19, 2013, 11:15:07 pm »

Toaster
So why did you ask?
Well I know what I think is the right course of action. I wanted to know what you thought.
Also, since you have my attention- Would you make a tie at day-end to save a mafia-buddy?  Mason-buddy?
Obviously yes if I were scum: according to the rules, in the case of an absolute tie, the mafia get to decide who gets lynched.

Let's run through the mason scenario in a bit more detail:

I am a mason and I have the option of voting for a non-mason to force a tie. If I don't force a tie, another mason will be lyched. What do I do?

Option one: I vote for a non-mason, creating a tie (assuming no plurality vote, whatever that is). If the person I voted for is scum, the scum will kill the mason. Me forcing a draw reveals me to be mason to the scum (as town wouldn't do this), and so they'll probably have the mason I was trying to save lynched anyway, as it's a safe mason-kill for them. So whether or not the person I vote for is scum, the mafia will lynch the mason I was trying to save.

Option two: I don't vote and the mason gets lynched, revealing them to be mason. We're one mason down and no one knows I'm mason.

Option three: I bandwagon on the mason kill. A mason will die but people will suspect me less as a mason.

Whichever way I look at it, the mason dies. Option three is probably best because it might make me look town to scum, potentially resulting in a rebound-kill.

Obolisk0430 and TolyK: do you think my reasoning here is sound?

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: January 19, 2013, 11:53:44 pm »

Toaster
Tiruin:

What if it's, say, D4 with one person from each group lynched, and no mafiakills used?  What would make you be more aggressive with your kill?
1:2:1...It depends on the situation and how the players I'm facing act. I'd generally be more aggressive when I can be sure that the attention isn't on me. And if it is, with no way out, that's only when I use my MK.

NQT
Also,
Yep, and this is a transparent plea for advice given the ban on private messaging. So scumbuddy Deathsword, help me out here! In all seriousness, the more advice on scumhunting we can share, the less likely we are to lynch the wrong person. On that note, how would you Captain Ford pretend to be scum?
Err, I was expecting a No. And...you're diverting onto Captain Ford?

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: January 20, 2013, 12:22:43 am »

NQT:
Obviously yes if I were scum: according to the rules, in the case of an absolute tie, the mafia get to decide who gets lynched.

I see.

Let's run through the mason scenario in a bit more detail:

Fair enough.

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: January 20, 2013, 12:24:21 am »

Err, I was expecting a No. And...you're diverting onto Captain Ford?
If you'd prefer I can reply in complete seriousness from now on. To make it absolutely clear: I am not making any sort of claim about anyone, least of all myself. Also, apologies, I meant 'Tiruin', not 'Captain Ford'- no bizarre diversion intended!
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 40