Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 40

Author Topic: Mafia and Masons and Hackers - Game Over!  (Read 89178 times)

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
Re: Mafia and Masons and Hackers - Day One (11/13) - #4ksxb549ksap053l
« Reply #240 on: January 30, 2013, 03:17:42 pm »

NQT:
ZU, Toaster and Captain Ford - on Why We Shouldn't Discuss the Actions of Confirmed Scum
Figuring out publicly who Nerjin targeted is actually bad for the town. Better to keep the scum guessing
That's not logic at all thats WIFOM. Also, other people never act perfectly logically.

Either way, I don't really see why anyone would try to kill Captain Ford, as he is super scummy.
Okay, but I don't see anyone else putting forward a credible alternative. Look, it seems to me that the easiest way to hunt scum is to rule out who probably isn't scum. By working out who Nerjin and Norris might have rebounded off, we can get somewhere towards not lynching innocent players.

Or at least, that's what I thought was a good tactic. A lot of you seem to think that that way of scum-hunting is itself scummy. I've read your arguments, and I can certainly see the dangers of giving the scum too much information, and I'm willing to pursue other methods of investigation.

You're running down a dangerous road here.  We do know that Nerjin and UI thought they had identified a mason enough to warrant a kill attempt, and that it failed, offing themselves.  What we don't know is who they targeted.  I see what you're saying- that this eliminates the possibility that the target was scum, but it also means that the target isn't a mason, either- which is further information for the remaining scum.  Also, trying to guess who the scum targeted and why is verging on WIFOM.  I say leave the matter alone.

Further, Edos raises a good point:

I see the DS and NQT situation in two ways. We know Nerjin, Norris, and DS were all voting NQT.
To me, it either means they're both cleared because scum just wouldn't feel right doing something like that, or they're both scum because they did it for the lulz.
I guess a third option might be that one is maf, but not the other, but I don't think so.

For me, the purpose of a NQT or DS lynch would be an information lynch: Is the other clear?
We're at such an advantage that we could almost PoE it out until we lynch both scum.

I tend to agree that Nerjin's bandwagon vote on NQT makes NQT a somewhat unlikely scum choice.

I reread NQT's posts and, other than the point I originally had an issue with, didn't get much of a scum read from him.  Put those together and you get Unvote NQT.

However, I disagree with Edos's quoted suggestion that we should consider setting up any sort of chain lynch.  We might have numbers on our side, but that's no reason to start lynching in lieu of hunting.

Captain Ford:
Toaster:
notquitethere is still doing it and is still scum:

ZU
My read is informed by Nerjin's demise: who is the person he would have tried to kill? Captain Ford is the most likely answer, as I explained in my post above. This isn't buddying, this is logic. If someone can give me a convincing counterfactual to my earlier argument then I'll revise my opinion.
You found NQT scummy for answering ZU's question?

No.  I found him scummy for trying to root out masons in public.  I have expanded on (and excused) his actions above.  The post you've quoted is just me reapplying the vote, with a note that he is continuing to determine the identity of town versus mason.  I now see he was thinking in terms of town versus scum instead, so I have dropped the attack.

And I blame my poor activity on a somewhat apathetic attitude to this game, and giving everything else priority.  I'm taking the time now to do it justice, though.

Obolisk:
So, as far as me saying that Darksword had just done what the last two mafia had done, I present this...
Unvote I just did a primary re-read and something has stuck out to me. I'll post later when I'm positive.
And this.
Bluh bluh post tomorrow.
At the time I posted that, the last thing that DS had posted was this:
Am sick, and feel like shit. I'll post tomorrow.
So, that's what I ment by that.  Similarities in actions.

I have found in the past that is only a useful scumtell if it keeps happening.  Any one-off occurrence is insufficient- it needs to be a pattern.  (Also I'm less certain of it now than I was a year ago.)

In other news, your case on Deathsword is flimsy.  Who else do you suspect and why?  I'd love at least two names.

Deathsword:
First off, obolisk I asked for your reads on everyone one. You proceeded to ignore that. Here's when I asked it, so you can't claim to be ignorant of it:
Obolisk, you've been lurking for the entire game, so one small pfp post isn't going to be enough. Since you already said your read on me, give us your read on everyone else.
Stop being lazy and do it.

Do you really think asking for all his reads rather than a few scum reads is really that good use of the time of everyone involved?

I'm not going to quote your giant post where you vote Captain Ford, but if I read it right, your case is that he's "chainsawing*" for NQT?  Do you have anything besides that?

*I say "chainsawing" because while you're accusing him of something similar, except in this case you're assuming NQT is town and Ford is scum.

Dariush:
Claiming mason is a null-tell, as you've previously said.

Wait, what?

This is a 180˚ spin from your previous opinion:

Sure. You miss just one crucial thing: there's no benefit to anyone by claiming mason, truthfully or otherwise. You haven't explained why you've done it, only why paying attention to it hurts town. Except that if you didn't claim it, there would be nothing to pay attention to. Therefore, you knowingly did something that has the possibility to hurt town without any benefit to it whatsoever. Die, scum.

Why the change?  Or, perhaps more accurately, which one is your your real opinion?

Zombie U:
Man I don't even know anymore. Unvote.

Reread pending.

So what did you find out?  Who are your top three scum picks and why?

TolyK has only voted one time, and it was obviously just a RVS vote.  Until he decides to actually contribute to the game, my vote will remain on him.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Captain Ford

• Bay Watcher
  • Eating dragons has some side effects...
    • View Profile
Re: Mafia and Masons and Hackers - Day One (11/13) - One replacement needed
« Reply #241 on: January 30, 2013, 04:21:17 pm »

Toaster: Unvote. That pretty much negates any suspicions I had of you. Back to thinking you might be a mason.

Tolyk. Come out and play.
...Holy shit. Ford, you get the Official Medal of Epic Awesomeness.
Its official! Ford! You need to put it in your sig now! "Official Mafia Welcomer!"

zombie urist

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_LIVING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #242 on: January 30, 2013, 05:44:13 pm »

Not much. We're still literally at D1. The flips have been pretty much useless. I still find Ford and NQT's mutual defense to be suspicious. I'm also suspicious of Dariush going tunnel. Tunnel Chunnel. And how quickly he jumped on the Ford wagon.

I don't think both NQT and DS are scum. They've been going at it too powerfully.

Obolisk's case on DS is kinda BS IMO. I've did a reread, but I still can't really put my finger on how that thing escalated.

Captain Ford is still kinda scummy.
The worst part of all of this is that Shakerag won.

Captain Ford

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #243 on: January 30, 2013, 06:11:19 pm »

Obolisk's case on DS is kinda BS IMO. I've did a reread, but I still can't really put my finger on how that thing escalated.
Which thing are you referring to here? I'm not sure if you're talking about obo, DS, obo's case on DS, or ... something else entirely. ???
Its official! Ford! You need to put it in your sig now! "Official Mafia Welcomer!"

zombie urist

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_LIVING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #244 on: January 30, 2013, 06:45:16 pm »

I'm referring to DS and NQT's argument.

Dariush

• Bay Watcher
  • I don't think I !!am!!, therefore I !!am!! not
    • View Profile
« Reply #245 on: January 31, 2013, 06:20:01 am »

Toaster:
Dariush:
Claiming mason is a null-tell, as you've previously said.

Wait, what?

This is a 180˚ spin from your previous opinion:

Sure. You miss just one crucial thing: there's no benefit to anyone by claiming mason, truthfully or otherwise. You haven't explained why you've done it, only why paying attention to it hurts town. Except that if you didn't claim it, there would be nothing to pay attention to. Therefore, you knowingly did something that has the possibility to hurt town without any benefit to it whatsoever. Die, scum.

Why the change?  Or, perhaps more accurately, which one is your your real opinion?
It is a nulltell insofar as alignment of the claimer is concerned. Everyone is equally likely to claim or fakeclaim mason. However, fakeclaiming it is stupid, has no benefit and hurts town by having a possibility of revealing actual masons. Trueclaiming is still stupid because it still has no benefit and the claiming mason should be able to figure out that scum would think that nobody would fakeclaim due to being suspected by masons, so the claim must be a true one.
Over time I realized that stupid town may also fakeclaim mason for some unknown reason, but that still doesn't change the fact that Ford is a stupid and scummy piece of fuck.

ZU:
Not much. We're still literally at D1. The flips have been pretty much useless. I still find Ford and NQT's mutual defense to be suspicious. I'm also suspicious of Dariush going tunnel. Tunnel Chunnel. And how quickly he jumped on the Ford wagon.
I should probably just set up a collection of standard responses for various groundless accusations.

Accusation of bandwagon:
This is not a bandwagon. If you think any of the arguments involved in my supposed bandwagoning vote are weak, nonexistent, pulled out of my ass or simply copied off someone else, please quote them and explain exactly how they are weak, nonexistent, pulled out of my ass or simply copied off someone else. Otherwise, be so kind and fuck yourself in the eye.

Accusation of tunneling:
This is not a tunnel. If you disagree with any of my arguments, please quote them and explain how exactly you disagree with them. Otherwise, be so kind and fuck yourself in the eye.

Also, I find it hilarious how instead of actually scumhunting you say 'there's not much' and then proceed to vote me for no reason whatsoever. Nice going.

Ford:
Spoiler: Le hugeass quote (click to show/hide)
Congratulations! This post contains perhaps the largest ratio of effort put in it to its usefulness I've ever seen on this forum. By the way, willingness to write this unreadable pointless WoT instead of doing something useful (like scumhunting) is not a sign of townness, you know.

zombie urist

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_LIVING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #246 on: January 31, 2013, 02:40:52 pm »

pfp. you were the ladt person to vote ford for fis mason-null thing. thats afaik the entire basis for your argument. while i disagree with his sentiment, i dont think hes scummy for it. tunneling = focus on 1 guy. apart from minor calling out lurkers, u did no further hunting.

Captain Ford

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #247 on: January 31, 2013, 04:51:43 pm »

Congratulations! This post contains perhaps the largest ratio of effort put in it to its usefulness I've ever seen on this forum. By the way, willingness to write this unreadable pointless WoT instead of doing something useful (like scumhunting) is not a sign of townness, you know.
If it irritated you, then it was worth it. :)

Never format a post like that again.
Don't worry, I won't. It was just too much fun to write. But I'll never, ever do it again. I swear. Next time I do something like that it will be spoilered and well-organized so the entire group doesn't have to suffer for it.

Edosurist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #248 on: February 01, 2013, 02:31:23 am »

Hey guys, I've been really busy so I haven't been able to keep up. Plus, now I'm not going to be back until Sunday. I'm requesting a replacement. Sorry for the inconvenience or unanswered questions.
So now all we've got to do is to put a couple of grannies into the LHC and smash them against each other at relativistic speeds. Lather, rinse, repeat until we got results.

Dariush

• Bay Watcher
  • I don't think I !!am!!, therefore I !!am!! not
    • View Profile
« Reply #249 on: February 01, 2013, 06:51:39 am »

you were the ladt person to vote ford for fis mason-null thing.
And voting last due to timezones because synonymous with 'bandwagoning' when?
thats afaik the entire basis for your argument.
No, it wasn't. Just because you fail at reading doesn't mean I didn't give plenty of other reasons.
tunneling = focus on 1 guy.
You are confusing the words 'voting' and 'tunneling'.
apart from minor calling out lurkers, u did no further hunting.
The only time I 'called out lurkers' was about Tolyk, who didn't post for a week while posting elsewhere.

So, basically you read only the last page or so, decided to summon a bullshitful case on me out of nowhere while ignoring pretty much everyone else (yeah, chalk up hypocrisy too) and went back to lurking your ass off. You're adorable, ZU.

obolisk0430

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #250 on: February 01, 2013, 09:09:23 am »

Tiruin, you've been fishing for people's alliances ever since the game began. Why? How does that help you? How does it help the town win?
Let me await obolisk's statement before giving in a (somewhat) controversial post. As for the rest of your queries: I've been 'fishing' - generally, poking - at those people who were muchly inactive and vague with their cases and only them.
Hey Tiruin, let me help you clear that right up.  I am also accusing you of rolefishing for the masons.  When I made the post, I was trying to quote you, but it was on my phone, and it was really hard to cut out all the other bits people would know what I was talking about.  But basically, only scum is helped by figuring out who's a mason.  To answer your question, if I was scum, and someone revealed who the masons were, personally, I'd wait to see if the final member of the mafia does anything, seeing as how there are only two left.  If he uses his day kill and it works, I would begin offing them.  If nothing happend, I would probably see if I could dig up any case on the guy who said who the masons were, and see about using the general WTFness of that to help the case.
Let this be a lesson to us all: Immortality is only temporary. That's why its called immortality.

Captain Ford

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #251 on: February 01, 2013, 06:51:06 pm »

The activity on this game has dropped off alarmingly in the past few days. I don't think anyone realizes how close we are to deadline.

The vote is currently tied, and our chances of lynching scum drop remarkably if we leave it that way.

Tolyk promised to post, and failed to deliver. From what I've read, this is a very consistent scumtell on these boards. He's been active elsewhere on the forums, and for whatever reason he is deliberately ignoring this game. It would frustrate me to no end if I (the most active player in the game) was lynched over someone who hasn't made a good post in weeks. But if left at a tie, then the town is deprived of the chance to choose.

So would somebody, anybody, please cast a deciding vote before the day ends?

Captain Ford

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #252 on: February 01, 2013, 07:03:05 pm »

EBWOP: I'd like to clarify that the reason for my frustration would be the common complaint of low activity in games, which from my PoV is at least partially due to people lynching active players over lurking ones.

It occurred to me that it might not be obvious to everyone who's tied for votes, so I assembled an unofficial votecount.

Unofficial Votecount:
Dariush: zombie urist (1)
Tiruin:
Phantom of The Library:
Captain Ford: Dariush, Deathsword, Tiruin (3)
TolyK: notquitethere, Toaster, Captain Ford (3)
Edosurist: Phantom of the Library (1)
Deathsword: obolisk0430 (1)
notquitethere: Edosurist (1)
zombie urist:
Toaster:
obolisk0430:

Not voting: TolyK

* Since I can't edit this, I've double-checked it to make sure everyone is listed, and that it's consistent with what's showing on LurkerTracker. I can't do anything more than that.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #253 on: February 01, 2013, 07:14:58 pm »

Actually the deadline hit yesterday and I forgot.  Sorry.  Will write up the lynch scene using the votes as of January 23, 2013, 09:56:43 pm my time.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #254 on: February 01, 2013, 07:27:50 pm »

Votecount (6 votes to lynch):
Dariush:
Tiruin:
Phantom of The Library:
Captain Ford: Dariush, Deathsword, Tiruin (3)
TolyK: notquitethere, Toaster, Captain Ford (3)
Edosurist: Phantom of the Library (1)
Deathsword: obolisk0430 (1)
notquitethere: Edosurist (1)
zombie urist:
Toaster:
obolisk0430:

Not voting: zombie urist, TolyK (1)

Votes after this one did not count.

There is a tie.  Any mafia member can send me a PM to break the tie.  The choice is between Captain Ford and TolyK.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2013, 08:53:53 pm by Leafsnail »
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 40