Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Railgun for exploding creatures of any size (including FBs)  (Read 7318 times)

laularukyrumo

• Bay Watcher
  • Needs More Socks
    • View Profile
Re: Railgun for exploding creatures of any size (including FBs)
« Reply #15 on: December 20, 2012, 02:58:44 am »

I love it. It's like putting many thousands of gold coins inside the same pouch in adventurer mode and then throwing the pouch at some poor victim.

Only better.

Quick. Someone test this with slade.
Quote from: Dwarfotaur
Everytime one of my militia has given birth in the Danger Room, it's lead to instant baby smoothies for everyone.

Gotta Catch 'Em All!

Dat Sig Thread

Urist Da Vinci

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL: ENGINEER:4]
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 20, 2012, 03:19:50 am »

Note the bug mentioned here: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=120635.msg3886288#msg3886288
which I have verified exists. The bug is that carts landing on a floor tile will hit creatures under the floor.

You could then drop minecarts 50z onto the ceiling of a tunnel, and use rollers to move and return the cart to the top. This would prevent dwarves from attempting to haul the carts away, since the carts are now isolated in a closed loop. The machine could be turned on to provide an invisible barrier of crushing, exploding death in the tunnel. With a good sense of timing, a pressure plate in the hall could drop the cart from a hatch 50z above, landing on a creature at just the right moment.

gchristopher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 20, 2012, 04:08:04 am »

Wow, that could be easy and fast. I wonder if the time for a high-speed roller to clear a cart varies much? I clocked it at 13-14 ticks in a tile with water. That's quite a bit faster than a simple impulse ramp spiral.

I wonder if minecarts that fall on top of other minecarts transmit force downward through the bottom of the resulting stack?

I also wonder if raising bridges actually throw items upward z-levels and if so, could that phenomenon be used to raise minecarts?

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 20, 2012, 06:41:29 pm »

If you have a system of rollers to recover the carts and push them back up to the top there is nothing stopping you from adding more mine carts into the loop.

Add in a place where you can dump mine carts in, and have a roller add them to the path. I don't think there is any real limit to the number of mine carts you can have, so you could have 100+ mine carts all following the same path, being reloaded to the top and then plummeting down.

For an easy way to add mass, just have part of the path dip the mine carts down through water or magma, assuming magma safe mine carts of course. Its not nearly as much mass as lead bricks, but its easy and can be automated.

With enough mine carts you could have a nearly continuous bombardment. Several different tracks, each loaded up with many mine carts could create multiple tiles of this.

Then if you want to further increase the lethality, create a corridor full of no quality wooden training spears in spike traps. These wooden training spears shouldn't kill anything, but they can cause exhaustion. If a dwarf is exhausted the dwarf will go take a nap. Exhausted goblins do not appear to do this, so they will continue to move very slowly. The exhausted goblins will be crawling along the repeating traps, being poked at with harmless wooden training spears, but their slow rate of movement would mean they spend long enough in the tile under the repeating hammer that it would be guaranteed that every single goblin will be smashed.
Pages: 1 [2]