Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

What armor combination do you goblin invaders wear?

Breastplate and Metal Cap
- 12 (36.4%)
Mail Shirt and Metal Helm
- 8 (24.2%)
Breastplate and Metal Helm
- 4 (12.1%)
Mail Shirt and Metal Cap
- 6 (18.2%)
Other (please describe)
- 3 (9.1%)

Total Members Voted: 33

Voting closed: December 23, 2012, 10:53:09 am

Author Topic: Goblin Armor  (Read 1593 times)

Oaktree

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Goblin Armor
« on: December 15, 2012, 10:53:10 am »

Curious what your goblinite is composed of.  A majority of the goblin civilizations encountered so far use the breastplate/cap combination that is so very vulnerable to axe dwarves.  But the mail shirt/helm combination has been seen as well; which is a bit more resistant to axe attacks, but allows the hammer dwarves to shine a bit more.
Armorer McUrist cancels forge steel mailshirt, interrupted by minecart

XXSockXX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Goblin Armor
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2012, 10:57:57 am »

I've been seeing a lot of metal helm / leather armor goblins lately. I've seen breastplates, but don't remember ever seeing caps and mailshirts. Also I've never seen armor on other body parts, even if the raws had them. I play with pretty short history mostly, don't know if that influences these things.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2012, 11:42:42 am »

Mail shirts and caps for me mostly. Very few shields too, my goblins seem to be the archetypal skirmishers of the Dwarven world.

Urist Da Vinci

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL: ENGINEER:4]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2012, 12:12:42 pm »

Can we somehow make the goblins wear groin/leg armor?

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2012, 12:39:46 pm »

I've seen a mixture of mail, plate, cap and helm, with leather armor mixed in along with full armor on some weaponmasters; it's usually sans gauntlets and boots though: Helm, mail shirt, breastplate, and normally greaves for these individuals. May depend on the world though because I don't think goblins always have access to leg armor besides thier clothes.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2012, 01:32:27 pm »

My current fort has had breastplates and helms, with helms (I don't remember if the breastplates did) decorated with their insignia(and designated for melting, I don't want my military wearing such a symbol). The most recent siege, however, had leather armor. The metal stuff was usually iron.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

vjek

• Bay Watcher
  • If it didn't work, change the world so it does.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2012, 02:03:38 pm »

I removed armor from them to stop collection jobs, and removed all their military professions so they're all wrestlers.

Naked wrestler goblin invaders.  Just the way I want them.  8)

(but in vanilla, they invade with caps and breastplates)

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2012, 02:54:14 pm »

Can we somehow make the goblins wear groin/leg armor?
You could give the goblins special armour that occupies the same slot as mail, but covers much more of the body (as a cloak does). This would make it more attractive to poach unless you change goblin size to make the armour large or small to dwarves and therefore unwearable.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

ikachan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2012, 06:20:04 pm »

I've got a pit full of about 50 goblins so I will check to see what their combination of armour is.

EDIT: I sampled 10 goblins in the pit and found that they all wore the same thing: mail shirt & metal helm
« Last Edit: December 16, 2012, 06:00:58 pm by ikachan »

Bigheaded

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2012, 06:21:09 pm »

on my second year of my current fort, i'm getting a shed load of leather, unsurprisingly, but cloaks can be handy.

managed to catch and kill a good 4-5 snatchers, the thieves seem to be wearing 2 items of clothing and a dagger.

Never really paid that much attention, i seem to get a very decent amount of shields though.
Dear Urist McStockpileDrone
I just found a barrel which contained a wheelbarrow. Inside the wheelbarrow was another barrel. I don't even understand how that is possible.

MythagoWoods

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware it's deadly sway!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2012, 07:57:26 am »

Most goblins I find tend to have a metal breastplate and cap.  If they're a general/lord they tend to be in almost all metal armor, or so it seems.  The standard run of the mill goblins always seem to only have leather armor... unless it's a siege than they tend to have at least 1 metal armor, typically a cap which doesn't help them much against a wall of serrated discs.
My cows are war trainable. BEWARE THE BATTLE CATTLE!

Siru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2012, 09:51:19 am »

I've been getting iron helms and copper breastplates in my current fortress. They also seem to like troll fur/hair cloaks.