Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 37 38 [39] 40

Author Topic: The Hobbit  (Read 54808 times)

Trif

• Bay Watcher
  • the Not-Quite-So-Great-as-Toady One
    • View Profile
Re: The Hobbit
« Reply #570 on: January 09, 2014, 05:46:54 pm »

Foe-Hammer is just the translation of the word "Glamdring". I would guess that "dring" is used a bit differently than "hammer" in English, so it probably makes more sense in Sindarin.

Edit: Oh man, elven ninjas!
Quote from: Toady One
I wonder if the game has become odd.

XXSockXX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #571 on: January 09, 2014, 06:01:08 pm »

Depends on your sword technique probably. Also sounds more poetic than "Orc-Clobber".

VerdantSF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #572 on: January 09, 2014, 06:10:35 pm »

"Orc-Eviscerator" would've been cool :D.

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
« Reply #573 on: January 09, 2014, 06:19:43 pm »

Maybe it relates to the sword being relentless, or causing magical impacts when it strikes. I don't remember whether we actually got to see those two swords in use in the books.

As I recall the dwarves' fight with the goblins in the Misty Mountains was off-screen. And did Thorin lose his sword there or did Gandalf scoop it up? I think they can't have retained it through the wood elves' capture.
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned
Haunter of Birthday Cakes, Bearded Hamburger, Intensely Off-Topic

VerdantSF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #574 on: January 09, 2014, 06:24:15 pm »

or causing magical impacts when it strikes.

Foe-Sparkler!

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
« Reply #575 on: January 09, 2014, 06:27:41 pm »

I didn't say they'd be visible!
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned

ed boy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #576 on: January 09, 2014, 06:38:52 pm »

As I recall the dwarves' fight with the goblins in the Misty Mountains was off-screen. And did Thorin lose his sword there or did Gandalf scoop it up? I think they can't have retained it through the wood elves' capture.
IIRC, they were captured by the goblins in the misty mountains. They're brought to the great goblin, and are then searched and they freak out when they see it. It's then that Gandalf uses the opportunity to make his entrance, and Thorin scoops it up.

As for the elves, it's kept by the elves once they're captured, and only returned once Thorin is dead.

VerdantSF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #577 on: January 09, 2014, 06:45:11 pm »

Trif

• Bay Watcher
  • the Not-Quite-So-Great-as-Toady One
    • View Profile
« Reply #578 on: January 09, 2014, 07:08:43 pm »

Maybe it relates to the sword being relentless, or causing magical impacts when it strikes. I don't remember whether we actually got to see those two swords in use in the books.
Nothing magical (except for the glowing near goblins), they're just really good and famous swords.  Many orcs and probably balrogs were killed with them back in Gondolin.

Gandalf snatched it from a goblin guard. There wasn't a real fight in the Misty Mountains because Thorin & Co were hilariously outnumbered, Gandalf and Thorin just stopped a few goblins from pursuing the group by running away and waiting behind a corner and the goblins were too freaked out about the glowing swords to fight back.
Quote from: Toady One
I wonder if the game has become odd.

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
« Reply #579 on: January 09, 2014, 08:39:36 pm »

I can imagine the goblin guard who got ahold of a magic sword, worth like a few grand at least, and he's just holding this thing awkwardly thinking dont screw this up don't screw this up Hogbar just play it cool man
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #580 on: January 09, 2014, 10:20:12 pm »

^Pictured above: Me every time I have to prepare a multi-thousand dollar dose of clotting factor.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #581 on: January 10, 2014, 08:06:37 am »

Yeah, I feel like that at work pretty often, too.  Sometimes my ability to get a complicated regulatory or paperwork issue resolved quickly can have impact in the hundreds of thousands of dollars.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
  • AKA Aira; Legendary Female Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #582 on: January 17, 2014, 03:14:08 pm »

Slightly late to the party, I just made the mistake of watching the second Hobbit movie. I suppose the fact that they split such a short story into more than one film ought to have told me something. 2 hours and 40 minutes of my life that I can't get back now... And when I thought, "oh, there's only about 3 chapters of the book left now, it must be nearly over," they end the film.

Really? They're going to make a THIRD film? I read The Hobbit for the first time when I was 8 years old and I've read it at least half a dozen times since then. This story is as close to sacred as anything ever gets for me, and I know it very well. Even allowing for extra plot to account for the events of The Lord of the Rings, which hadn't even been conceived of yet when this book was written, there's absolutely no excuse for hacking apart the story so mercilessly that it be spread across three long films. When they made The Lord of the Rings into films, they didn't do a perfect job, but it wasn't terrible. There were some scenes deleted, of course, and there was a little fiddling with bits of the plot here and there to make it more Hollywood-friendly, but overall, they did better than I expected.

But this. This pile of excrement (with some of the worst green-screen effects I've seen in a big-budget Hollywood picture in well over a decade, by the way) is inexcusable. At least when I hear idiots say "I love the Lord of the Rings!" and they've never read the books, at least I know they have the general idea of the story. After all, those are very long books, and not everyone is willing to devote that much time to a fantasy novel. But now, for the rest of my life, I will have to suffer through illiterate morons saying "I love The Hobbit!" who haven't even the vaguest notion of what the story was actually about. I read it when I was 8! It's not that hard!

That might be the worst part of all. I can just block all these memories of the film out, but I'll be reminded of them forever by idiots. Poor Tolkien is surely tossing and turning in his grave. If there is a hell, and Tolkien for whatever reason ended up there, his personal version surely consists of nothing more than being forced to watch these films over and over again, with occasional breaks to see people who've never read a book going on and on about how sexy Orlando Bloom looked playing Legolas again.

I surely won't be watching the third one. It's the new Star Wars films all over again... Watch the first out of fandom, watch the second out of desperate hope that things will improve, boycott the third on general principles and out of a general desire to stay sane.

Now, if you'll excuse me, I need to go find drugs strong enough to wipe my memory of this entire evening. I may have to settle on alcohol for now...

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #583 on: January 17, 2014, 03:38:17 pm »

Your post made me realize that while I like the Hobbit as a generic action movie (which it ought not be) I also dislike it, not because of "how much better the book is"* but from how much more awesome The Lord of the Rings (movie) is. I still have to read the books (only finished The Fellowship) but I'm not finding them better than the movie so far, insofar you can even really compare them.

I should read The Hobbit again...

*I don't remember much from when I read this book, ~10 years ago, so I am not going to claim it's good/bad

XXSockXX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #584 on: January 17, 2014, 03:47:26 pm »

I still have to read the books (only finished The Fellowship) but I'm not finding them better than the movie so far, insofar you can even really compare them.
You better take cover before the wrath of the internet descends upon you.  ;)
Pages: 1 ... 37 38 [39] 40