Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29] 30 31 ... 40

Author Topic: The Hobbit  (Read 54853 times)

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
Re: The Hobbit
« Reply #420 on: December 23, 2013, 03:23:44 pm »

I bet the Google search results are heavily weighted toward "fucking barrel scene" compared to "loved the barrel scene".
Quite possibly even after you account for the barrel fetishists.
Oh baby, those hoops! Dem staves! ;P

B-barrel-kun..
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth,
Card-carrying Liberaltarian

Ogdibus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #421 on: December 23, 2013, 03:32:01 pm »

Smaug: The entire idea and purpose of Smaug is ruined by the film. You do not fight Smaug.  One does not simply fight Smaug.  One does not simply fight Jackie Chan in a room full of furniture barrels.
ftfy

Edit: ftfm
« Last Edit: December 23, 2013, 03:33:52 pm by Ogdibus »

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
« Reply #422 on: December 23, 2013, 03:59:31 pm »

Mict that barrel is too young u r gona get band
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned
Haunter of Birthday Cakes, Bearded Hamburger, Intensely Off-Topic

XXSockXX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #423 on: December 30, 2013, 10:33:46 am »

Now seen it too. I'm not gonna weigh in on the adaption problems many people have, I consider books and movies as quite separate entities, and visually I enjoy the movies enormously.
It's very clear to me that someone in the production team knows about DF, this had some very dwarfy parts:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #424 on: December 30, 2013, 10:35:20 am »

Sure it can.

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
« Reply #425 on: December 30, 2013, 02:26:47 pm »

At least they didn't have any Aragorns or Mega-Elephants.
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #426 on: December 30, 2013, 02:55:43 pm »

I went in with fairly low expectations, since my parents had a lot of complaints about the movie (although they were nice enough not to actually spoil anything).

So...with that outlook going in I had fun. It wasn't good, but it was fun. But I agree with a lot of people's complaints about the movie.

I must confess that I found parts of the barrel scene rather amusing, although the overall set-up and execution was silly and often the special effects just looked off. Bomber bowling over orcs was funny, at least.

Mirkwood bugs me. Mostly because they cut out a bunch of scenes from Mirkwood so they could add in a bunch of extraneous stuff to the movie. Really? You're trying so hard to spread one book out over three movies and you cut stuff out?? Boggles the mind.

I'm of two minds about the Scenes with Smaug. One the one hand, the fact that the dwarves didn't get immediately killed is pretty silly. On the other hand, it's kind of nice that they at least tried to fight him in the movie. In the books I was always dissapointed that the dwarves went through all those troubles and overcame so many obstacles to get to the dragon and then didn't do anything at all about him. They shouldn't have succeeded, no, but it's nice that they at least tried.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #427 on: December 30, 2013, 03:42:32 pm »

As I said, the dwarfs' plan is utterly impossible (I will note that I liked the scene in the first film where Thorin and Balin essentially discuss how the whole venture is a suicide mission). Smaug is nearly-invincible and unstoppable, and there is no fighting him. Killing the company would have been like swatting a fly for him if not for them being shielded inside the mountainside.

They do actually do something about Smaug, even if they don't know they're doing it: they set up the conditions for Smaug to meet his fated end, which is a big thing for Tolkien. It had to be Bard, because he's the descendent of the rightful king.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #428 on: December 30, 2013, 03:50:10 pm »

Just a note that bugged me: HOW DID THORIN WHEELBARROW SURF ON MOLTEN GOLD WITHOUT DYING MOLTEN METAL IS HOT
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #429 on: December 30, 2013, 03:55:21 pm »

As I said, the dwarfs' plan is utterly impossible (I will note that I liked the scene in the first film where Thorin and Balin essentially discuss how the whole venture is a suicide mission). Smaug is nearly-invincible and unstoppable, and there is no fighting him. Killing the company would have been like swatting a fly for him if not for them being shielded inside the mountainside.

They do actually do something about Smaug, even if they don't know they're doing it: they set up the conditions for Smaug to meet his fated end, which is a big thing for Tolkien. It had to be Bard, because he's the descendent of the rightful king.

Oh, sure, the plan certainly wouldn't have worked. I've never minded that the Dwarves weren't the ones to actually take him out. That all made sense. I just objected to the fact that they got to the mountain and just didn't really do anything. It's not the outcome, or even the premise, that I object to. Just the execution.

Granted, Jackson's idea is in many ways even worse, since the dwarves should have died several times over during that sequence, but I appreciate that they at least made some sort of attempt.

Just a note that bugged me: HOW DID THORIN WHEELBARROW SURF ON MOLTEN GOLD WITHOUT DYING MOLTEN METAL IS HOT

Yeah, that part was right out.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
« Reply #430 on: December 30, 2013, 04:02:01 pm »

Peter Jackson, in a New Zealand accent:
"Yes, well, we decided early on that Dwarves would be totally immune to heat of any kind. We didn't mention it because we figured there were no other places where it could possibly come up."
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #431 on: December 30, 2013, 04:03:27 pm »

Peter Jackson, in a New Zealand accent:
"Yes, well, we decided early on that Dwarves would be totally immune to heat of any kind. We didn't mention it because we figured there were no other places where it could possibly come up."
Explains how they weren't threatened at all by that balrog in Moria ho ho ho~
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
« Reply #432 on: December 30, 2013, 04:04:43 pm »

Actually Jackson never said that. But I figure, if I go around changing everything that was in the original text and adding stuff he never said, he shouldn't mind, right?
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #433 on: January 02, 2014, 12:25:01 am »

I haven't even read the book (or seen the first Hobbit movie), but this trailer makes me want to watch this movie.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sc32YdEWHzo

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #434 on: January 02, 2014, 10:29:18 am »

Having just read the Silmarillion, I can tell you dwarves are stated to be resistant to heat, more than elves or men. Or atleast their armor. In any case, magma-surfing etc., 100% faithful to Tolkien, totally.
Russia is simply taking an anti-Fascist stance against European Nazi products, they should be applauded. ¡No parmesan!
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29] 30 31 ... 40