Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 40

Author Topic: The Hobbit  (Read 54888 times)

ed boy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Hobbit
« Reply #255 on: January 20, 2013, 11:05:51 am »

I loved the movie. I am not entirely sure why the Dwarfs didn't just stay in Moria after they won the battle though >.>
I mean, Gimli thought it was a safe place in LotR, which was 60 (?) years later, so why were they all homeless and sad?
Well, they won the battle outside, but didn't clear out moria, as they took too high losses in the first battle, and figured that inside maria would favour the orcs too much.

So who reclaimed Moria afterwards?
Balin tried to after the hobbit, but failed.

Inarius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #256 on: January 21, 2013, 08:00:35 am »

I saw it yesterday, and I agree with most of you.

The beginning is really stunning. It's like I saw Dwarf Fortress ! Dwarves digging, an artefact gem, gold everywhere.
A very poor defence, and a dragon at last !
The dwarves die, flee, and try to reclaim another site which was previously invaded...and invaders are still here.

I don't have much time to develop, but the film itself isn't so bad, it's just that it is overdone most of the time. Actually, it's over, in all of its parts. Too much everything.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2013, 08:30:40 am by Inarius »

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #257 on: January 21, 2013, 08:25:31 am »

Blergh, you people and your inferior opinions! :p

Everything was awesome!

I just wish Jackson would have made a movie out of The Children of Hurin instead of The Hobbit. Way more epic, and it has incest :D.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #258 on: January 21, 2013, 10:19:10 am »

Jackson would absolutely butcher anything from The Silmarillion.  That stuff is even less given to Hollywood translation than LotR or The Hobbit. 

Yeah, Children of Hurin has a lot of action and a well-paced, epic adventure story.

But it also has only one consistent character, with a whole bunch of plot-important characters who come and go.  It's a pretty well-established rule in any film produced for mass consumption these days that you can't treat characters that way.  Every important character has to be developed throughout the length of the film, and they all must have deeply interwoven backstories.  At least 20 minutes of the film would have to be dedicated to a character like Hunthor, who only received a handful of sentences in the book despite saving Turin's life at the climax of the story.

Love interest only occupies a very small portion of the story.  That surely wouldn't stick.  They'd either greatly extend the incest thing, retrofit some other female character into the role until the incest thing (and probably use it to create a bunch of extra drama in the transition between relationships), or invent a character just for the sake of a consistent love interest.

And many characters of a nature that blockbusters simply don't do, especially having seen how Jackson has handled Tolkien's characters so far.  I really don't want to see Turin doing shit like skateboarding a shield down a flight of stairs while shooting arrows, or Mim abused as comic relief, or Nienor turned into an action girl.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Scoops Novel

• Bay Watcher
  • Talismanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #259 on: January 21, 2013, 10:58:27 am »

So it could be done, but not by him... not now...  but we shall wait.
Reading a thinner book

Arcjolt (useful) Chilly The Endoplasm Jiggles

Hums with potential    a flying minotaur

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #260 on: January 21, 2013, 11:02:29 am »

Yeah, it should probably not be done my Jackson.

It needs to be done by someone with Jackson's budget though :P

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #261 on: January 21, 2013, 11:57:48 am »

I think he's good for a Beren and Luthien one. That's probably about it, though - everything else that would make a good movie doesn't fit modern film standards, like you said, while The Hobbit and LotR are close enough that you could get good movies that resemble the source material, although LotR diverged further with each movie.

Probably we can look forward to that one movie (or trilogy!), titled "The Silmarillion", and the semi-justified rage this will produce will handle all the advertising. I cannot imagine Sauron being handled well in it, because they wouldn't be able to resist LotR callbacks. And Galadriel would play a part in the story, the idea being that she was quite possibly living in Doriath at the time canonically. And I'd still probably like the movie, anyway.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #262 on: January 21, 2013, 02:02:43 pm »

No one, Peter Jackson or other, is doing any Silmarillion adaptation anytime soon. The Tolkien estate is quite clear on that.

But from the sound of it, Jackson's probably done with Arda and wants to move on to making a WWII movie. Still, I'd actually trust him more for an adaptation (despite his flaws) since he's not actually a Hollywood producer. He's based in NZ with his own studio, while the other studios are based directly in Hollywood (and the focus-grouping execs.)

Personally, I believe that if the Silmarillion were adapted, it would be best done as a miniseries, possibly by someone at the BBC or other Britain-based studios. As a film series, I believe it could be done in no less than 6 or 7 long movies.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2013, 02:10:03 pm by HugoLuman »
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

TheKaspa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #263 on: January 21, 2013, 02:55:29 pm »

Personally, I believe that if the Silmarillion were adapted, it would be best done as a miniseries, possibly by someone at the BBC or other Britain-based studios. As a film series, I believe it could be done in no less than 6 or 7 long movies.

HBO.
They'd love the Narn i Chîn Húrin part
Tai'shar DwarfFortress

I've heard Minecart Airlines Express offers nice trips to nobility. Alternative trips include a voyage over the volcano. Call 1-800-I-THE-GUINEAPIG-VOLUNTEER and book now!
My fucking armok, you broke the game.

Scoops Novel

• Bay Watcher
  • Talismanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #264 on: January 21, 2013, 02:56:50 pm »

Are they the ones who did Game of Thrones? I have my doubts.
Reading a thinner book

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #265 on: January 21, 2013, 03:00:45 pm »

Still, I'd actually trust him more for an adaptation (despite his flaws) since he's not actually a Hollywood producer. He's based in NZ with his own studio, while the other studios are based directly in Hollywood (and the focus-grouping execs.)

I'm aware he's not technically Hollywood, but a lot of his decisions still seem firmly rooted in mass audience appeal.  Slightly different feel from the special effects and cinematography than a Hollywood film, but the script writing amounts to the same types of stuff either way.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Scoops Novel

• Bay Watcher
  • Talismanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #266 on: January 21, 2013, 03:02:23 pm »

Derail ahead! Where would you strike the limit of Hollywood or not? What are your thoughts on it? I'm not particularly knowledgeable, hence the questions, but the pay has always left me uncomfortable. Doesn't help that no one ever cares about that with their favorite celebrity either. It's a wonder they didn't include gladiators being used in ad's in Spartacus or what have you because people wouldn't buy it, apparently.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2013, 03:12:46 pm by Novel »
Reading a thinner book

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #267 on: January 21, 2013, 03:05:17 pm »

I'd like to see, for once, somebody *cough* to actually contribut to the discussion they're starting.

Scoops Novel

• Bay Watcher
  • Talismanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #268 on: January 21, 2013, 03:06:44 pm »

Questions are questions. But to the edit! Edit: complete.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2013, 03:12:57 pm by Novel »
Reading a thinner book

TheKaspa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #269 on: January 21, 2013, 03:08:28 pm »

Are they the ones who did Game of Thrones? I have my doubts.

Why not? There is:
- blood (lot of)
- incest
- mad protagonist
- a couple of maidens (there is plenty of room for "adapting" the plot by inserting sex scenes)
Tai'shar DwarfFortress

I've heard Minecart Airlines Express offers nice trips to nobility. Alternative trips include a voyage over the volcano. Call 1-800-I-THE-GUINEAPIG-VOLUNTEER and book now!
My fucking armok, you broke the game.
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 40