Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 40

Author Topic: The Hobbit  (Read 54902 times)

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
Re: The Hobbit
« Reply #210 on: January 09, 2013, 04:09:37 pm »

It isn't shoehorned. The Hobbit is a prequel to The Lord Of The Rings, and has always had the rise of Sauron in the background.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Trif

• Bay Watcher
  • the Not-Quite-So-Great-as-Toady One
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: January 09, 2013, 04:38:49 pm »

The Lord Of The Rings is a sequel to The Hobbit, and while the rise of Sauron does happen in the same time period as The Hobbit, it never was a plot point. Gandalf mentions the Necromancer a few times, that's about it.

But anyways, I say shoehorned because the plot doesn't go anywhere. Radagast gets a few scenes, Gandalf has a chit-chat with some LotR characters, and then? Nobody mentions the Necromancer again. Maybe he wasn't so important after all. The whole plot just detracted from the whole hobbit and dwarfs going on an adventure business. Which was kind of the premise of the story.
Quote from: Toady One
I wonder if the game has become odd.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: January 09, 2013, 04:41:30 pm »

Granted, it was given a bit too much attention, but overall it is a rather important plot point nevertheless.

TheKaspa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: January 09, 2013, 04:52:28 pm »

The Lord Of The Rings is a sequel to The Hobbit, and while the rise of Sauron does happen in the same time period as The Hobbit, it never was a plot point. Gandalf mentions the Necromancer a few times, that's about it.

But anyways, I say shoehorned because the plot doesn't go anywhere. Radagast gets a few scenes, Gandalf has a chit-chat with some LotR characters, and then? Nobody mentions the Necromancer again. Maybe he wasn't so important after all. The whole plot just detracted from the whole hobbit and dwarfs going on an adventure business. Which was kind of the premise of the story.

I'd say the Necromancer will play a more important role in the third film (at least, if not in the second one - it depends on where they halfed the original Hobbit 2).
And the Necromancer by itself was not out-of-contest. I didn't appreciate the White Council scene, but just because for me it was in the wrong time (it should have been after the dwarves entered Mirkwood, or way before their journey) and also because it was shot as a connection to Lotr, and not as something important for the plot.
Tai'shar DwarfFortress

I've heard Minecart Airlines Express offers nice trips to nobility. Alternative trips include a voyage over the volcano. Call 1-800-I-THE-GUINEAPIG-VOLUNTEER and book now!
My fucking armok, you broke the game.

Trif

• Bay Watcher
  • the Not-Quite-So-Great-as-Toady One
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: January 09, 2013, 05:35:46 pm »

You don't have to kill off every villain at the end of the movie, but I want to see some sort of resolution. Darth Vader didn't die at the end of A New Hope, but that was fine because he had a fight with Obi-Wan and tried to shoot Luke.
Sequels are fine and all, but An Unexpected Journey just didn't feel finished. Quite a bit of screen time was dedicated to the Necromancer plot, and saying "Tune in next year" doesn't resolve it.
Quote from: Toady One
I wonder if the game has become odd.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: January 09, 2013, 05:43:26 pm »

There's nothing to resolve! The Necromancer is Sauron, and that plot doesn't get resolved at all until the Lord Of The Rings!
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: January 09, 2013, 05:49:31 pm »

I finally got to see it. I really enjoyed it overall - their choice of Bilbo was absolutely perfect. Absolutely.
Late to the party, but yes.  Martin Freeman doesn't have that much range as an actor but he nails that certain sort of character (Watson) perfectly.

I look forward to him talking to Smaug (Cumberbatch) considering how great all their conversations are in Sherlock.

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: January 09, 2013, 07:45:38 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Why didn't they sing and laugh

Agreed. But all in all, I liked it.

Needed more Balrog at the start, though. Not even a mention of the Terror from the Depths, which makes the reclaiming of Moria impossible? Seems odd for Jackson to leave out Balrog. What, you don't want to put in really awesome CG for that? Sigh.

I dunno. The first thing I asked was "Why the fuck wouldn't they just stay there if that was the conclusion of the battle?" Not just herpaderp okay Dwarves let's leave now because we're sad.
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth,
Card-carrying Liberaltarian

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: January 09, 2013, 07:58:31 pm »

I didn't see their version as that odd. The orcs retreated, but almost all the dwarves were dead and they hadn't even breached Moria itself. Still, there should have been Balrog.
No Gods, No Masters.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: January 09, 2013, 08:03:21 pm »

I can't take Balrog seriously anymore... Every time I think of a toaster/lunchbox/robot.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: January 09, 2013, 08:04:38 pm »

He's a piece of sentient soap.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: January 09, 2013, 08:05:51 pm »

He's a piece of sentient soap.
If anything has ever made too much sense, it is this.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: January 09, 2013, 11:06:05 pm »

Too long have we mocked the grandmaster soap maker...
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

RedWarrior0

• Bay Watcher
  • she/her
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: January 10, 2013, 10:00:48 am »

Really, Balrog is Kool-Aid Man. Busts through walls and shouts an exclamation of joy? The dots are right there, you just need to connect them.

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: January 10, 2013, 10:48:33 am »

It isn't shoehorned. The Hobbit is a prequel to The Lord Of The Rings, and has always had the rise of Sauron in the background.

Wasn't the whole "The Hobbit's invisibility ring is actually the Evil One Ring Of Evilness To Rule Them All Evilly of Sauron" a retcon that came when he wrote Lord of the Rings?
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 40