Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 40

Author Topic: The Hobbit  (Read 54936 times)

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
Re: The Hobbit
« Reply #90 on: December 16, 2012, 02:39:14 am »

I shouldn't be surprised, but they even worked some violence into Riddles in the Dark?
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: December 16, 2012, 03:30:19 am »

My impression from the books is that wizards aren't powerful in the 'chew up 20 orcs on a level field by themselves without breaking a sweat' sense.  It's more that they have a ton of knowledge and wisdom.  They expertly manipulate the flow of events across Middle-Earth, they can generally avoid getting into really dangerous situations, and have a lot of back-up plans and aces up their sleeves at all times. 

When Gandalf finds himself in the middle of a goblin throne room, he doesn't just start slaying.  He produces his notorious artifact weapon, the goblins go "oh shit!", he wipes out the lights, the goblins go "OH SHIT!", he lets it be seen when he strikes down their leader in the darkness, the goblins go "OH SHIT!", and then he slips everyone away in the ensuing shock and panic that he's expertly constructed on a moment's notice. 

There are really only a handful of characters in all of Tolkien lore who respond to being overwhelmingly outnumbered by hacking away with abandon and slaying large numbers single-handedly, and they're always heroic last stands.  In fact, Hurin, Feanor, and Boromir are the only ones who immediately come to mind.  There are other characters who rack up large kill counts and win against overwhelming odds, but only when they're supported by armies on a battlefield.  Remember when Gimli and Legolas have their kill count contest at Helm's Deep?  They only get into the low-40's and that's considered impressive, but it's peanuts compared to the stuff the movies try to portray.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: December 16, 2012, 03:51:37 am »

Yeah, I'll agree with all that.  Though I will point out that taking on one boss is different from taking on a whole bunch of mooks.  Plus, Gandalf also died in the fight with the Balrog, but was sent back by Eru Illuvatar.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Trif

• Bay Watcher
  • the Not-Quite-So-Great-as-Toady One
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: December 16, 2012, 06:55:43 am »

Quote from: Trif

Quote from: Toady One
I wonder if the game has become odd.

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: December 16, 2012, 08:15:09 am »

Regardless of what you thought about the movie, I think we can all agree this song is amazing. Some folk, we never forget...

I liked the movie, but I do have some complaints/stuff that bothered me.

Russia is simply taking an anti-Fascist stance against European Nazi products, they should be applauded. ¡No parmesan!

Glowcat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: December 16, 2012, 08:43:35 am »

Regardless of what you thought about the movie, I think we can all agree this song is amazing. Some folk, we never forget...

This video contains content from Sony ATV Publishing and INgrooves, one or more of whom have blocked it in your country on copyright grounds? Not really my favorite tune, no. Way too mainstream at this point.
Totally a weretrain. Very much trains!
I'm going to steamroll this house.

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: December 16, 2012, 09:44:02 am »

It's the Song of the Lonely Mountain that played over the ending credits (and was partially sung and reused constantly in the orchestral pieces), anyway.
Russia is simply taking an anti-Fascist stance against European Nazi products, they should be applauded. ¡No parmesan!

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: December 16, 2012, 12:32:57 pm »

Really? I liked the song when it was playing during the movie, but the guy singing it during the credits sounded nothing like a dwarf.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: December 16, 2012, 12:34:39 pm »

Fair enough - the dwarven-sung version (or similar song) is on the soundtrack too, 'Misty Mountains'.

Scoops Novel

• Bay Watcher
  • Talismanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: December 17, 2012, 10:52:16 am »

How are they going to pad out the third movie? I anticipate some of the biggest, longest, most insanely Dwarven fight scenes to have ever occurred.
Reading a thinner book

Arcjolt (useful) Chilly The Endoplasm Jiggles

Hums with potential    a flying minotaur

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: December 17, 2012, 08:09:02 pm »

I sort of figured that the second movie would be mostly Mirkwood action, there's enough to make a film there, especially if they add some Dol Gudur stuff. Then they've got the dragon and a big battle for the third movie.
This sentence contains exactly threee erors.

Muz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: December 18, 2012, 12:59:17 am »

I loved the CGI and detail, especially the soundtrack.

But hated the way they told the story. C'mon, 3 hours is enough to tell a whole book. It's not even a thick book. I think a critic got it spot on that it's faster to read some parts than watch it. There's surprisingly more info dumping in the movie than the book, when it's usually movies that cut out detail.

It's nice for the graphics, but the plot felt like something an amateur D&D GM would tell. The movie is not memorable, which is a shame, as the book was my favorite.
Disclaimer: Any sarcasm in my posts will not be mentioned as that would ruin the purpose. It is assumed that the reader is intelligent enough to tell the difference between what is sarcasm and what is not.

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
  • BOOM! Avatar gone! (for now)
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: December 18, 2012, 12:28:30 pm »

There is one small thing which makes me suspect,
the makers of this plays or at least have heard of Dwarf Fortress.

Liber celi

• Bay Watcher
  • council does your hair
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: December 21, 2012, 08:32:12 am »

The whole Goblintown (or whatever) escapade was horribly off in tone. The entire segment (save for the Gollum parts, which were excellent) and especially the escape were completely played for laughs - the casual killing of goblins in amusing ways, the way the goblin leader is killed (seriously, those last words?), etc etc. I don't mind these movies being lighter in tone, but they should've stuck to serious in this case. Gah. Did anyone else get this impression/dislike the scene?

Not really a complaint per se, but I expected the movie to have more of a LOTR feel. It felt more... generic, I guess, than the trilogy. I dunno.
In my opinion the film was too much LotR. This was the reason Goblin Town didn't fit: The film up to this point had been trying too hard to be an epos... which simply isn't in the source material. The Hobbit is a children's book, an adventure's tale, funny at times and silly at others, and while it is a stone in the epic mosaic that is Tolkien's Arda, it just doesn't work as an epos out of itself.

This was the reason they put in Azog(blegh) and put the focus of the film on Gandalf and Thorin instead of Bilbo whenever possible. This is the reason characterization --a point at which the films could have proved better than the book-- was painfully neglected in favour of archetypes... which at such a small scope quickly become stereotypes.

Goblin Town, with its non-LotR aesthetics, and dialogue taken from the book, would have been great on itself. I honestly like the design of the orcs down there most of all the affiliated films, bad CGI or not. But the film had tried very hard up to this point to be a mostly serious epos, that retold the Hobbit scene for scene while trying to build a completely different atmosphere. A darker one. Sure, there were funny scenes in bag's end and with the trolls, but they almost seemed out of place. That shouldn't have happened.

Also the goblin leader was great. Should have replaced Azog. Damn, Peter Jackson in a speedo could have replaced Azog, and it would have improved the film.

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
  • BOOM! Avatar gone! (for now)
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: December 21, 2012, 09:00:21 am »

Peter Jackson in a speedo could have replaced Azog, and it would have improved the film.

No.. it would not.. comments like theese.. *sigh*
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 40