Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 40

Author Topic: The Hobbit  (Read 54935 times)

MrWillsauce

• Bay Watcher
  • Has an ass that won't quit
    • View Profile
Re: The Hobbit
« Reply #75 on: December 15, 2012, 10:06:27 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: December 15, 2012, 10:16:43 pm »

(such as the one where Gandalf and company hide in the trees and lob flaming pinecones)

Was that not in there?.... one of the book's actual action scenes that was resolved in a very unique, memorable, and special effectish manner and probably the only scene in Tolkien's entire body of work that would have justified a flashy show of magic?
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

MrWillsauce

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: December 15, 2012, 10:19:06 pm »

Lectorog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: December 15, 2012, 10:45:38 pm »

I'm loving these differences. I can't wait to see the movie so I can complain about how the book was so much better and seem like I know what I'm talking about with Tolkien's works because I just read the book.

How far does the movie go, relative to the book storyline? About to enter the woods, after leaving Beorn?

« Last Edit: December 15, 2012, 10:47:38 pm by Lectorog »

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
  • BOOM! Avatar gone! (for now)
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: December 15, 2012, 10:49:36 pm »

I'm loving these differences. I can't wait to see the movie so I can complain about how the book was so much better and seem like I know what I'm talking about with Tolkien's works because I just read the book.

Love the sarasm dripping from that quote. :p

How far does the movie go, relative to the book storyline? About to enter the woods, after leaving Beorn?

Spoiler: !!SPOILER!! (click to show/hide)

Ubiq

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: December 15, 2012, 11:04:54 pm »

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: December 15, 2012, 11:18:28 pm »

Saw it. Thought it meh. Biggest complaint: Too goddamn long. Should've been 1 movie.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
  • BOOM! Avatar gone! (for now)
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: December 15, 2012, 11:25:34 pm »

For me it barely left like two hours.
Could have watched more. :p

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: December 16, 2012, 12:56:34 am »

In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

MrWillsauce

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: December 16, 2012, 12:58:12 am »

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: December 16, 2012, 01:11:58 am »

In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

MrWillsauce

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: December 16, 2012, 01:19:53 am »

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: December 16, 2012, 01:22:34 am »

Maniac, read the books? Wizards are not (at the least, allowed) to be a trump card.

Well that's more because the books do a good job conserving the narrative frequency of wizards then it is wizards being less powerful in the books.  If anything the wizards in the books are more powerful then in the LOTR films.  Wizards in the books might not flaunt their power but a wizard is still a force to be reckoned with.  There aren't that many millennia old magical beings that still walk among mortals.  One wizard is a force that kings take not of.  Two wizards together... it should take a lot more then that to make them even mildly concerned.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: December 16, 2012, 02:05:21 am »

My impression from the books is that wizards aren't powerful in the 'chew up 20 orcs on a level field by themselves without breaking a sweat' sense.  It's more that they have a ton of knowledge and wisdom.  They expertly manipulate the flow of events across Middle-Earth, they can generally avoid getting into really dangerous situations, and have a lot of back-up plans and aces up their sleeves at all times. 

When Gandalf finds himself in the middle of a goblin throne room, he doesn't just start slaying.  He produces his notorious artifact weapon, the goblins go "oh shit!", he wipes out the lights, the goblins go "OH SHIT!", he lets it be seen when he strikes down their leader in the darkness, the goblins go "OH SHIT!", and then he slips everyone away in the ensuing shock and panic that he's expertly constructed on a moment's notice. 

There are really only a handful of characters in all of Tolkien lore who respond to being overwhelmingly outnumbered by hacking away with abandon and slaying large numbers single-handedly, and they're always heroic last stands.  In fact, Hurin, Feanor, and Boromir are the only ones who immediately come to mind.  There are other characters who rack up large kill counts and win against overwhelming odds, but only when they're supported by armies on a battlefield.  Remember when Gimli and Legolas have their kill count contest at Helm's Deep?  They only get into the low-40's and that's considered impressive, but it's peanuts compared to the stuff the movies try to portray.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Spaghetti7

• Bay Watcher
  • Steam ID: wavy shapes dude
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: December 16, 2012, 02:37:39 am »

Just thought I'd say I really enjoyed the movie, and was pleasantly surprised at how accurate it was (in most respects). I thought the way stories were told in it, by actually showing us what happened, was very good and helped people understand some aspects.
Also, somehow it made me sad when
and movies don't make me sad easily. :D
That's nothing. I had something mate with a pile of dead meat.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 40